Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,462 times

Advertisements

hello,
I am a student presently attending Yonkers High School and as someone who has been in the Yonkers School system since pre-kindergarten.
Although it is true that the Yonkers school system is underfunded that does not overshadow the achievements that students within the district have made. The diversity that Yonkers offer's enhances personal development by providing students with a comprehensive understanding of what it is to be human. Not all schools in Yonkers have-what i would deem- a high caliber of academics but there are two exceptional gems in this system. The first, Yonkers High school has consistently been praised for the academic success of their students and of their contributions to the community. This year Newsweek ranked Yonkers High 37th in the *entire nation* , exceeding all other schools in Westchester. As I sit in my classes I am amazed by the brilliance of my teachers and of the students around me. The International Baccalaureate program at Yonkers High school offers college credits for the classes that students take. It is not uncommon for a YHS graduate to finish college early or to get a year free because they have already accumulated several credits before graduation. The schools that Yonkers High students are nothing to scoff at either. I have a friend who was accepted early by Columbia University, and on a full scholarship. She is neither an anomaly nor an isolated case there are many brilliant minds in the Yonkers school system. Yonkers High school is also a very close knit community where students do talk with their teachers outside of class and spend their free time volunteering. Students here are very conscious of their societal responsibilities.
I would say that Montessori 31 is a good elementary school. My sister is currently enrolled there (as i was) and it has been our family's experience that the small size and the Montessori program create a very comfortable environment where children can grow. In the Montessori system children are encouraged to interact with other grade levels which enhances their ability to relate, help, and seek help from their peers.
Thus-far I have praised the high school and elementary school levels but do not feel comfortable vouching for the middle schools. Although I have heard good things about pearls, my own family is considering sending my sister to a private middle school before she enrolls at Yonkers High School.
Throughout my time in the system I have always found the counselors and administrators to be helpful and supportive.
-julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 PM

40 posts, read 176,103 times
K&F--did you make it up to Hastings? Are you moved in and how is your little girl doing? I have been wondering.

After months of looking and deliberating, we are making the move to Hastings in a few months, and I really liked the schools when I toured. We will be renting at first as well. Did you find a decent rental?

I hope things are going better for your daughter up there. Please post an update when you get a chance! You have shared such a compelling story with us.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 15,165 times
Update three years later: moved to Hastings. Turned into a disaster. They wouldn't put my daughter in a classroom where she could function; they gave her a "fraudulent" speech evaluation (didn't intentionally test her in areas as deficit which are severe such as auditory processing and language processing), threw private evaluations I provided on the table and treated them as trash; so I put her in a CATHOLIC special ed school, filed due process for tuition, and settled with them (which I can't discuss since they forced me to agree to confidentiality clause). I found most of Hastings to be the typical same: my daughter had behavioral and emotional problems chronically in school because she wasn't in an appropriate environment and was overwhelmed, so we were totally ostracized by other parents. So when this school year is over I'm moving into Yonkers. I'm tired of paying alot of rent just to live in a dump because it's HASTINGS. and I hear that Yonkers actually is HONEST about children's special needs, and they are busing children willingly out of district if they can't provide what they need. Hastings turned out to be a huge mistake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County