U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM

409 posts, read 1,667,791 times

Advertisements

We visited Stamford CT last week and flew into White Plains NY (weschester airport) and saw some of the most beautiful homes on our way to and from CT and it made us wonder...whatis the crime rate in white plains? Are there any pretty green nice suburbs there? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM

10,630 posts, read 17,846,234 times
The White Plains airport is actually located in Armonk/Purchase, Northeast of White Plains. What route did you take to Stamford? If you took the back way, you most likely went through Armonk/Bedford/Pound Ridge into Stamford. Those are all gorgeous suburbs, with a lot of green space, but incredibly expensive (I'm talking $1M++ for the homes you were probably driving by).

White Plains is a pretty safe city, but it is a city. The crime does not really bleed over into the burbs.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM

100 posts, read 509,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The White Plains airport is actually located in Armonk/Purchase, Northeast of White Plains. What route did you take to Stamford? If you took the back way, you most likely went through Armonk/Bedford/Pound Ridge into Stamford. Those are all gorgeous suburbs, with a lot of green space, but incredibly expensive (I'm talking $1M++ for the homes you were probably driving by).

White Plains is a pretty safe city, but it is a city. The crime does not really bleed over into the burbs.
Agreed. The suburbs are nice and fairly spread out; some of the downtown areas can be sketchy but in 42 years of going to downtown White Plains I never had a problem. And you have great access to NYC. Expensive real estate though.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,667,791 times
Thanks a lot for you input...we were in a cab, so I am not sure which way he took to Stamford. I was vry jetlagged. I appreciate the responses!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 119,575 times
White Plains, New York

White Plains City Data Scroll down the page for crime statistics.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,424,020 times
Downtown is completely safe.

Just around downtown it gets not-as safe. Like, south lex, ferris, etc.

but, then outside of that, it's amazing. (highlands, rosedale).

It's like a bullseyes target.

None the less, WP is amazing<3.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,674,879 times
As a prior poster said, what you saw wasn't White Plains. White Plains is OK, but it's a city. It's no Armonk.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 24,659 times
there are some very nice neighborhoods with good size houses in wp, and though ferris ave and s. lexington are not good areas, they are nothing like bad areas in nyc

Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,076,564 times
Lexington and Ferris don't have as much crime/activity as say in the 80's or 90's when I was growing up. I grew up right on lex between Fisher and Post and i'd say back in that time most of the crime was due to drugs (which was really out of control in part of 90's). Random crime, muggings etc (towards random bystanders) very rarely took place.

One thing I remember that I miss is how vibrant the area used to be, a good deal of the neighborhood's demographic is in transition right now, although its still diverse in the blocks around there (lex).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>