Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 06:56 AM

558 posts, read 299,820 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing to move downstate and it looks like Westchester will be the place. Would like to be in a higher density area, which means south of the Tappan-Zee.

Condo living is what I am used to and I am finding very few in the area. The apartments for sale are almost all co-ops. Interestingly, no listing source I have found provides their monthly charges although nearly every condo listing on Redfin has it. That lack of transparency is unsettling to say the least.

A lifelong friend of mine in the West Village who mentioned that his 600 ft2 co-op had a "reasonable" monthly fee of around $1300. If $1300/month isn't bad for 600 ft2 in the Village, I'm thinking 12-1500 ft2 in Westchester must be at least $2000/month and in many cases it's probably a lot more than that. Am I missing something in this equation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 14,879 times
The fact that none of the co-ops have the monthly "fees" (HOA or otherwise) listed is indeed a good observation. Case in point: condo v/s co-op. The condo has a monthly HOA fee of $392 and an additional monthly fee of $436, but the co-op has nothing listed. Why is this?

Also, there has been previous discussion on this board about condos v/s co-ops, especially in context with the co-ops on Garth road in Scarsdale and similar ones in Hartsdale. I wasn't able to comprehend the definitive difference between co-ops and condos, and in what scenarios one would be better than the other. Can someone please provide a ELI5 (yes, I'm that young when it comes to real estate ).

I apologize to the OP if I'm derailing the original conversation.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM

In a condominium, you own your unit. In a co-op you own a share of the entire property.

As best I can tell, the following is also true.

In a condominium, anyone can buy from a seller if they have the money. In a co-op, except in certain cases, you must also be approved by the co-op board. They usually vet you and your finances and require a higher minimum amount down. Some boards are highly selective about who they will allow in. From time to time, lawsuits flow out of that process.

The few times I have seen a co-op and a comparable condo the co-op was always more expensive, even when all fees were totaled up. Sometimes a whole lot more. Co-op fees also include property taxes and may also include other things such as common utilities.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,879 times
Thanks TownDweller! Extremely appreciated! So it looks like condos definitely are more attractive, with the one advantage of co-ops perhaps being the lower initial cost price, albeit with higher, probably unknown, monthly payments. Please correct me if this statement is inaccurate! This is perhaps the reason why you've indicated in your previous posts that you'd prefer condos.

I have more questions about where a couple with a newborn and a dog could possibly buy something in a nice (i.e., socially well-off), safe Westchester county neighborhood without having to shell upwards of $350K and pay high taxes (since schools are not yet an issue), but that will probably digress from this thread.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:49 PM

67 posts, read 188,191 times
Redfin almost always provides the monthly charges for a co-op or condo and lists pet restrictions, too. Good luck in your search.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMamie View Post
Redfin almost always provides the monthly charges for a co-op or condo and lists pet restrictions, too. Good luck in your search.
Thank you!! The fees are buried pretty deep but you are correct and I found them. Just one other question: do you know whether the maintenance fees as listed there include the property taxes?

Redfin is clearly the best providing complete information.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:28 PM

67 posts, read 188,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Thank you!! The fees are buried pretty deep but you are correct and I found them. Just one other question: do you know whether the maintenance fees as listed there include the property taxes?

Redfin is clearly the best providing complete information.
A co-op's maintenance fee includes property taxes. For a condo, though, property taxes are not included in the HOA - the owner pays those separately. I own a condo and my monthly mortgage payment includes escrow fees - the bank pays my taxes out of that escrow account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County