U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,372 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I (wife and 2 young sons) will be moving to the USA this summer - as I've been offered a job there. At the moment I will be working in time SQ NYC but it may be that my office is moving to Stanford, Ct.

I've got a short/medium term plan and a long term one! Short/medium would be to rent a place that is a fairly easy commute and inexpensive (I will be on a tight budget until I sell our house in the UK). Longer term provided all is going well we will buy a place.

My wife is a lawyer and will Sit the Bar in NY probably in Feb 2009 but she is Mad keen on horses - and she intends to ship one of her horses out (hey it was the only way I could persuade her to Move!!). So in the short term I need to find somewhere to board it that is close to where we are renting and long term she would like the house that we buy to have facilities for horses (or enough space so I can build them). We will also be bringing 2 dogs with us.

I had been looking into living in NJ but if my office moves to CT then it would make the commute impossible so I was thinking NY state would be better....

any suggestions??? THX!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,850,829 times
I think you already posted on the NJ thread.

If your wife is British she's going to STILL have to get a visa valid for working here, because yours won't apply to her.

I wouldn't even think of the commute between NJ and Connecticut.

You're FAR better off in Westchester. Communities like Bedford and Bedford Hills have a LOT of equine facilities, but they're pricey. You didn't mention a budget, but the schools in those communities, as well as in Katona are excellent and the commute by train to Grand Central is very reasonable.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 AM

103 posts, read 429,369 times
You should definitely look into Northern Westchester. In addition to Bedford/Katonah as Viraldmd suggested, North Salem is definitely a "horse country". There are ton of horse farms out here, they do offer boarding, but I have no idea how much that would cost. You can find a very nice house for rent with plenty of space for your dogs to run around. Commute-wise North Salem is only about 15 min. more from Katonah on a train, and housing/rental prices are comparable.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,372 times
Thanks for the replies - looks like the move to the USA is on... we really like NY state when we visited a couple fo weeks back so think that this is where we will be looking to buy and I will be deff workign in Time sq.

We are putting our hose on the market here in the UK next week - hopefully we will sell it soon.. as I will be moving out in July and can't afford to move the family out as well until we sell up...

with regard to budget alot depends on how much we get for our current house but I think we will be looking around the $5-700K mark...

Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,850,829 times
BTW, it's called 'TIMES SQUARE' - not 'Time Square.'

That's where the NY Times used to be located - thus the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County