Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
As for drugs, it is a national problem. There are drugs in the private and wealthy schools in the south county, and in the north county. I agree that all of Westchester has a drug problem. Drugs are as easy to get in Westchester schools as they are in NYC schools. I can tell you that no town has avoided this.
Is the drug problem manifesting in the same way? For ex, are the youth and adults binging on fenatyl and heroin in Scarsdale, Hastings, Darien, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Is the drug problem manifesting in the same way? For ex, are the youth and adults binging on fenatyl and heroin in Scarsdale, Hastings, Darien, etc?
Binging is a relative term. Fentanyl is easier to obtain, but not as sought after as heroin. But yes, you can easily get either, as a youth or an adult, in any town in Westchester, really any town in New York. Heroin is sold in schools, all schools. My friends son was using in Briarcliff, buyin git in school. My neighbor teaches in Chapaqua and there is H sold there. It is everywhere. A couple of years ago, a huge bust pulled millions in heroin out of a property in Croton. the house looked like it was a home a typical mom and dad would live in. In fact, it was. Kids in schools, working parents, just trafficers on the side. While vaping HTC is far more common in pre-teens, in high school, there is heroin easily obtained and used every day. And yes, rich kids do just as much heroin as poor kids. They just have better hidy holes. I think rich parents are still more likely to do coke than H, but H gets sold in rich towns too. I wish you luck with your kids and hope all of us are able to keep drugs from our lives. All the best.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:51 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Binging is a relative term. Fentanyl is easier to obtain, but not as sought after as heroin. But yes, you can easily get either, as a youth or an adult, in any town in Westchester, really any town in New York. Heroin is sold in schools, all schools. My friends son was using in Briarcliff, buyin git in school. My neighbor teaches in Chapaqua and there is H sold there. It is everywhere. A couple of years ago, a huge bust pulled millions in heroin out of a property in Croton. the house looked like it was a home a typical mom and dad would live in. In fact, it was. Kids in schools, working parents, just trafficers on the side. While vaping HTC is far more common in pre-teens, in high school, there is heroin easily obtained and used every day. And yes, rich kids do just as much heroin as poor kids. They just have better hidy holes. I think rich parents are still more likely to do coke than H, but H gets sold in rich towns too. I wish you luck with your kids and hope all of us are able to keep drugs from our lives. All the best.
This ^^^^ is absolutely correct.

Drugs are in every Westchester town. Rich parents have more disposable income so their kids have the same or even more access to drugs than poorer ones. Heroin is available everywhere. Prescription drugs are everywhere especially with the cheap imports from China.

The problem isn't just overdosing but heroin weakens the heart. My daughter knew classmates who died in their sleep from heroin damaged hearts.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:53 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Cortlandt has residents attending 5 different school districts. Residents go to Peekskill, Hen Hud, Lakeland, Putnam Valley and Croton. Its a huge town with a lot of surface area. Indian Point is in Hen Hud. Lakeland gets kids from Cortlandt, Yorktown and Mahopac. Town lines and school lines do not match.
We have friends who live in Millwood but their kids attended Yorktown schools. It's confusing.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:28 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We have friends who live in Millwood but their kids attended Yorktown schools. It's confusing.
School districts and towns have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. They are totally independent. yorktown school district predates the town of yorktown by many years. It grew, divided, added and operated 100% as its own taxing authority. Many people think a town and school are the same, and run by the same entity. No, they have nothing to do with one another, and often, sadly, compete against each other for resources in silly political local struggles. Once one gets past the notion that a town and school district have anything to do with each other, its less confusing.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
School districts and towns have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. They are totally independent. yorktown school district predates the town of yorktown by many years. It grew, divided, added and operated 100% as its own taxing authority. Many people think a town and school are the same, and run by the same entity. No, they have nothing to do with one another, and often, sadly, compete against each other for resources in silly political local struggles. Once one gets past the notion that a town and school district have anything to do with each other, its less confusing.
The Town of Yorktown predates the school district. School districts are relatively modern entities. The Town of Yorktown's incorporation probably goes back to the revolutionary war, if not earlier.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Its not confusing when you think of the School District as just another thing that your house in "in", just like it's "in" the Town of Yorktown, "in" the County of Westchester, and "in" the State of New York. Confusion is perpetuated on this site (and in regular parlance) when people say that a house is "zoned for" Yorktown schools. Creates a false impression that it is something that can be changed by (and is controlled by) the Town. For instance, no one would say that a house is zoned for the Town of Yorktown, or zoned for Westchester County. So why say it for a school district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County