Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 25,277 times

Advertisements

LOL. Your post cracked me up! I didn't read any of the replies yet, as I'm coming into this discussion rather late. You should read my post "Does anyone else feel like a complete failure here?"

I'm a local...well...sorta. I lived in Queens until I was twelve. Then my family moved up here, and I haven't left. I'm 28. I seriously laughed out loud reading your post because all of it is soooo true. I don't notice it though because I'm definetly one of those people doing 75mph on the Taconic (sorry by the way), and I don't smile and say hello to strangers, and yes....I am completely miserable (you can refer to my post for the reasons why). Everyone I know that is still here "trying to make it" is completly miserable as well. Most of my friends from highschool left the county years ago. The ones who didn't are lucky enough to be living in houses bought by their familes, struggling to pay the rent, or have a high powered job and make enough money, but, they have no life outside of money and work and they are miserable too. I guess you can't win can you. lol.

My opinion: Give it another year or so. Unless you find a job, or a girl, or something that makes you not want to leave, save your wallet and go elsewhere. It's just getting worse in my opinon. And the longer you stay, the harder it is to leave.

That's the funny thing about New York. There are much nicer and cheaper places in this country to live, but New Yorkers stick around. Through all the economic crap most of us seem to find a way. We are pretty resilent. We drive fast, we talk fast, we spend money fast, and even though there are beautiful things to look at, we hardly notice them because we are so concerned about where we need to be next, and how long it's going to take to get there. It's a big rat race. And I agree....it's sad...and funny.

Best of luck though, and remember: If you can make it here...you can pretty much make it ANYWHERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
-yawn-

Yes. The mid 20 year old is going to buy a 6.6 Million dollar house in a nice area of Ossining.

I'm not stirring a debate.

I don't think Ossining is any nice for someone in their mid twenties. He's going to be surrounded by mexicans. You, on the other side think Ossining is some fabulous place with million dollar houses.

I think White Plains is gorgeous and perfect. You think it's a suburb with too many malls and big buildings.

We are expressing our different views. Not debating.

"He's going to be surrounded by Mexicans"?

You should limit the length of your responses...you're going to be late for your Klan meeting.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ369 View Post
"He's going to be surrounded by Mexicans"?

You should limit the length of your responses...you're going to be late for your Klan meeting.
Really, Metropollistraffic, don't you know that if you just refer to all Latinos as "illegal-types" then it is perfectly acceptable to be racist?

But seriously, the amount of racism on this board is stunning--and horrifying.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
If you want to remain in Westchester, live decently and still be able to maintain a good social life, move to White Plains. You won't find what you are looking for anywhere else in Westchester. I've lived in Westchester my whole life - which is long - and if I had age on my side now, it would be either White Plains or Manhattan. Save suburbia for at least another ten years - if not longer.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 69,246 times
So my list of places to potentially move to right now includes White Plains, Tarrytown, and NYC. The issue with living in NYC and working in Northern Westchester is the fact that my office is a few miles from the Metro North stop, so I'd need to find a way to keep a car somewhere to make it work. The commute might be rough. Ossining is REALLY sedate and pretty isolating for a single 26 year old guy... we are an endangered species here, it seems. All the advice has been great. Thank you all.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
your post made me laugh. i think a lot of it is true! i moved out of ny a few years back, but i miss it. it is by far the best place to live, i'm so biased. i was born and bred there so i guess htere is no place like home! :P

i lived off the taconic in yorktown and i was defintely one of those going 75 around those dangerous curves! sorry about that... :P

newyorkers definitely arent the smiling type and they are always in a rush. it's not that they are rude, it's just everything takes awhile to do, driving to different places takes time, so everyone is always in a hurry, they dont have time to make small talk and arent interested in smiling to strangers. it's just a different culture, trust me u'll get used to it!

pizza: it gets better the more south you go. irvington, tarrytown white plains has fabulous pizza! u dont necessarily have to live in nyc to enjoy it. you can take the train down there on weekends the only thing that stinks is there's a huge gap in teh train hours b/w 1-5. so if ur done partying at like 3, ur stuck till like 5AM waiting for a train or you have to leave early from there. but there are easy ways to drive into the city w/o paying tolls and you can find free parking in certain parts but then if you are drinking you have to be careful.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 AM

178 posts, read 667,400 times
White Plains or Yonkers even Port Chester
all close to NYC and maybe reasonable.
Port Chester for restaurants.
It is an expensive area. Find a co-op you can afford.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,248 times
MacheteJames, I've lived in Westchester for 2 years now and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I find the drivers on the east side of westchester (Mamaroneck) to be a lot worse than the west side towns however. Between Dobbs Ferry and Hastings, there are not many decent, medium-priced restaurants or supermarkets for that matter. If I were you, I'd go back to Boston where people are much nicer. I hardly speak to anyone where I live. If you don't want to go back to Boston, you could try NJ. I think people are much friendlier and nicer, less weird, than here.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:08 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Machete, I hope you check in now and then to let us all know how you're doing. I'd second all the advice about moving to White Plains if you're a single person. It's fairly central to a lot of places, an easy hop into NYC and has a lot going on. It won't be cheaper than Ossining if I remember correctly but probably worth the extra $. It used to be that Greenwich was a decent place for singles also but that was Back in the Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County