Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM

19 posts, read 30,453 times

Advertisements

Clarsktown is great- really, New City. I grew up there. Great schools, big homes. Yes, primarily Jewish but not orthodox but over the years, I think it's become a little more diverse than it ever say (which isnt saying much). People there always had money and still do. Terrific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I think you are overstating the difference, culturally, between Rye Neck (or Lower Westchester in general) and Rockland, although there are parts of Rockland where the difference will be larger verses other areas of Rockland, just like there are parts of Westchester that will be culturally different than Rye Neck. "Worlds apart" is just way too strong a description.

As for the schools you mention, they are all extremely tiny and have many students from outside Rockland. Waldorf has about 300 students from nursury school through 12th grade and pulls from 13 different counties. RCDS has about 120 kids from pre K through 12 grade. Tuxedo has about 200 kids from K through 9th grade. About 25% of them come from Tuxedo Park which is in Orange. The amount of Rockland kids going to these schools is a rounding error. In Rockland, "people of means" (how this is defined, I have no idea) overwhelmingly do not send their kids to these three schools. And Waldorf especially has a very unique idea of what education is, and their programming is not for everyone. RCDS is also unique. I don't know too much about the programing at the Tuxedo School.
Would you actually recommend someone's kid to move from Rye Neck schools to any public school district in Rockland (even the best one), assuming the family is neutral on other factors like commuting distance or size of property? OP is choosing between Rye Neck and Rockland, not Rye Neck and other Westchester SDs.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Would you actually recommend someone's kid to move from Rye Neck schools to any public school district in Rockland (even the best one), assuming the family is neutral on other factors like commuting distance or size of property? OP is choosing between Rye Neck and Rockland, not Rye Neck and other Westchester SDs.
The answer to your question is no, although I fail to see the need to ask it given my post - no where therein did I compare Rye Neck schools to any district in Rockland. Nor did I at all imply that the OP was choosing amongst other Westchester districts.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM

19 posts, read 34,363 times
I know this post is months old, but I just had to respond to people making the distinction between Suffern (Ramapo) and East Ramapo. In another ten years, or sooner, there will be no difference. In fact, all of Rockland will be Hasidic, the county will be unlivable.

The Hasidic community used to be a small area in Monsey, at the corner of Rt 306 and Rt 59. Now it has spread through Airmont, Suffern, Spring Valley, Hillcrest and Pomona. These areas include the North Rockland, Clarkstown, Suffern and East Ramapo school districts. Go to any park anywhere in Rockland and you will see the majority of people there are Hasidic.

Real estate in Clarkstown and North Rockland school districts is quietly being bought by Hasidic real estate investors and rented to non Hasidic people. When the Hasidic community is ready to move in the renters are moved out and the area turns Hasidic seemingly overnight. This is how most of the west side of Rockland has been taken over and how the east side will be taken over. Buying real estate in Rockland is a scary proposition.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:07 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
My husband commuted to White Plains from Yorktown Heights. His commute was about 30 minutes.

What about Putman county? It is north of Yorktown. Putnam's Mahopac will give your more land and house. Dutchess County's Pawling is a lovely town.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina7 View Post
I know this post is months old, but I just had to respond to people making the distinction between Suffern (Ramapo) and East Ramapo. In another ten years, or sooner, there will be no difference. In fact, all of Rockland will be Hasidic, the county will be unlivable.

The Hasidic community used to be a small area in Monsey, at the corner of Rt 306 and Rt 59. Now it has spread through Airmont, Suffern, Spring Valley, Hillcrest and Pomona. These areas include the North Rockland, Clarkstown, Suffern and East Ramapo school districts. Go to any park anywhere in Rockland and you will see the majority of people there are Hasidic.

Real estate in Clarkstown and North Rockland school districts is quietly being bought by Hasidic real estate investors and rented to non Hasidic people. When the Hasidic community is ready to move in the renters are moved out and the area turns Hasidic seemingly overnight. This is how most of the west side of Rockland has been taken over and how the east side will be taken over. Buying real estate in Rockland is a scary proposition.
Pretty much everything in this post is false or greatly exaggerated. Just thought I would mention such because many people come to this board and assume a certain level of accuracy on the part of people’s posts. In all likelihood the poster is Hasidic and just looking to scare away people.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM

19 posts, read 34,363 times
With all due respect 987ABC, there is simply no way that you live in Rockland County. I would guess that you have never set foot in Rockland County. I lived in Rockland for over 50 years before moving three years ago. I sold real estate in Rockland for the last ten years that I lived there. There is unsubstantiated opinion, and then there is quantifiable fact. Anyone who is interested in can easily do a web search for GROWTH OF HASIDIC COMMUNITY IN ROCKLAND COUNTY, NY, read the facts, and make your own determination.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina7 View Post
With all due respect 987ABC, there is simply no way that you live in Rockland County. I would guess that you have never set foot in Rockland County. I lived in Rockland for over 50 years before moving three years ago. I sold real estate in Rockland for the last ten years that I lived there. There is unsubstantiated opinion, and then there is quantifiable fact. Anyone who is interested in can easily do a web search for GROWTH OF HASIDIC COMMUNITY IN ROCKLAND COUNTY, NY, read the facts, and make your own determination.
Than why do you post stuff that is simply not true? Your solution is to invite a google search? Such would just produce more false internet “facts”. I have been to parks in rockland county numerous times in the last year and have not seen one Hasidic person, yet you claim that the majority of persons their are Hasidic. That is how I know you are a fraud.

In 10 years or less the entire county will be Hasidic, as you claim? I wish I could wager a ton of money with you on this.

And by the way you are certainly not a real estate agent. If you were you would not have completely misidentified communities and their school districts.

The Hasidic community has grown significantly since WW2. That is 70 years. So have Hispanics and a ton of other populations. But this growth has exclusively been in the East Ramapo SD. And there is a lot more room for them to grow within that district. At present they are stepping on the toes of the orthodox more than anyone else. Yes, they may move into other areas within Rockland County. They may also move into Westchester, Bergen and a million other places. In order to facilitate this they stoke fear that they are “taking over” as if they could just show up and demand your house. This includes posting “the sky is falling” on six month old threads on Internet forums.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 PM

41 posts, read 100,311 times
I'm a former resident of Airmont. I moved there 5 years ago and just moved out last month. The neighborhood changed a lot in the past 2 years or so. I'd go for runs on Saturdays, and it was looking more and more like Monsey. There are a lot of for sale signs in Airmont, and 4 real estate agents that we interviewed said only one group of people is buying up the properties in Airmont. We saw a lot of Hasidics in Clarke Park in Suffern and Finch Park in Ramsey.

These just my anecdotal observations from a former resident. If you have to move to Rockland, I would look towards the eastern side of the county.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdezz View Post
I'm a former resident of Airmont. I moved there 5 years ago and just moved out last month. The neighborhood changed a lot in the past 2 years or so. I'd go for runs on Saturdays, and it was looking more and more like Monsey. There are a lot of for sale signs in Airmont, and 4 real estate agents that we interviewed said only one group of people is buying up the properties in Airmont. We saw a lot of Hasidics in Clarke Park in Suffern and Finch Park in Ramsey.

These just my anecdotal observations from a former resident. If you have to move to Rockland, I would look towards the eastern side of the county.
Yes, the Town of Ramapo has a lot of Hasidics. The rest of the county has essentially zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County