Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM

37 posts, read 68,591 times

Advertisements

1.1-1.3. We didnt look that hard in Rye Neck yet. Purchase really isnt too far but yes you need a car to get anywhere. The trains come to white plains so often and are 30 min, so that's the intriguing part, mixed with low taxes. Our realtor suggested we look at a specific Harrison elementary school neighborhood, but was honest that it wasnt "as Jewish" as purchase. Mind you, we really aren't religious or anything but we do want that sense of community. I think the inventory is just really low in Rye Neck and from the one or two homes we saw, they were small and needed work. I will certainly keep it open as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 297 times
I don’t drive and have a six year old child so school district is important. Is there any hope to live somewhere in Westchester? I live in Manhattan now and my child is just entering a gifted and talented program at a 9/10 rated school. Live in one bedroom in Manhattan which is the reason for us starting to look.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:49 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLew2 View Post
I don’t drive and have a six year old child so school district is important. Is there any hope to live somewhere in Westchester? I live in Manhattan now and my child is just entering a gifted and talented program at a 9/10 rated school. Live in one bedroom in Manhattan which is the reason for us starting to look.
Sorry, you need a car in Westchester.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:22 PM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLew2 View Post
You could possibly do it in White Plains, Yonkers or the Fleetwood area of Mr Vernon, but it would be tough in most other places. You would need to rely on Uber, taxi, etc. for a lot of things.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM

136 posts, read 132,950 times
I am really not sure why eastchester gets this bad rep. I just moved here in summer and so far I am very happy. I am from Europe but not Italian and I find my neighbors extremely welcoming. I also lived in bay ridge Brooklyn and found Italians there to be super cool. My daughter is in Greenvale and she loves it there! Also my neighbors don’t ever talk politics but they are definitely not veryyy red . I live 10 mins walk from the train so cannot comment on the beeline but my suggestion would be to definitely pay extra to be walking distance to the train! It’s so worth it. We both work in the city (pre COVID) and we have only one (old) car.
Larchmont is just crazy expensive right now and it has been like that for years. It is definitely nice but unless you have a nice >1.3MM budget you aren’t getting a nice house
I would not dismiss Eastchester or Scarsdale. Eastchester is actually socio economically diverse. I’ve seen 2 T2020 signs so far

Old 10-04-2020, 12:04 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylife666 View Post
I am really not sure why eastchester gets this bad rep.

I have a good friend. He was born in the Bronx and started a family in Eastchester thirty years ago. He got involved in coaching a kids sports team. He's knows half the town and loves it. BTW, he and his wife are Jewish and lean towards the left.

It all depends on your attitude. If you can't tolerate other political views, then its not the town's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County