U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 21,070 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously considering a move to either Scarsdale or Eastchester. I find it difficult to find the right house for us that is close walking distance to the metro north train. Many people mentioned a commuter bus that takes you to the metro north station. I was thinking of living a little further from the train and using the commuter buses to get me to and from the metro north station. How realistic is this to do every day? Both going to work in the morning, and after work? Do a lot of people who live in Scarsdale or Eastchester use the commuter buses get them to and from the train? Do the buses run on time?

It seems like such a good option so now I dont need to be on top of a train station, and inventory in that small area seems limited. Plus I wont need to park at the station.

Any advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 43,435 times
Hi - I feel like I'm responding to a lot of your posts I live in eastchester now, in the scarsdale PO side and my husband and I both drive in the morning together but i take the car home and he takes the bus home. He does it every day and walks about 6 minutes from the bus stop on grand boulevard to our house. Its super easy and it takes a metro card. I would rely on the buses in the evening but in the morning, they can be late and also it never seemed to align properly, we would always be at the station like 15 minutes early and it just seemed to always increase my commute by 30 minutes. On the way home though, it is always there waiting. Also - the taxis in scarsdale are also super convenient and they charge a flat $5 rate. What they do is group you by neighborhood so you would have 3/4 people in the same taxi. It is SO convenient.
PS we park at the meters for eastchester residents only on scarsdale ave, and walk about 3 minutes to the station. It costs us about $5 a day to park. We do not use the garage.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Hi Beam10- that's funny. I'm not sure what I can do because I likely can't get a ride to the station in the morning (husband doesn't work in Manhattan and he would likely leave for work way earlier than me). Any my nanny would have the second car for my 3 kids. I don't want to increase my commute by 30 minutes in the morning. Do you think I should re-consider and only get something close to the metro north given the extra 30 minutes in the morning? Ugh!!

Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM

It’s difficult to say about what is best in your case. I’ve had to wait in the cold when the buses were late and it’s not ideal. Is there any way you could Uber in the mornings and take the bus home? I’ve done that a lot. Have never had any issues finding an Uber up here and it saves time. It probably costs about $7-$8 from where I live. We also have a second car that the nanny takes so I totally get it. Maybe try also looking at homes that are strictly within walking distance and in neighboring towns? We are looking to move to a bigger home but also somewhere where there is a little bit more of a Jewish community, and still commutable. From one of your recent posts it looks like we are in a similar boat. It’s tough!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Yes, we are in the same boat for sure. My only reservation about Eastchester was that it’s not Jewish enough. We love Scarsdale. I also really liked Rye Neck and a lot of it is walkable. BUT the houses there are very small (at least the ones in walking distance to the Mamaroneck train). I was also beginning to think we should only do houses that are strictly walking distance to the train. I don’t want to wait outside for 15 minutes or longer for a bus, or pay $7-$8 every day for an Uber. That adds up fast! Ugh. And real estate in manhattan soooo expensive!

Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Well I wont lie, I know a couple of other Jewish families but there aren't many of us. There may only be one Jewish kid in a class, maybe a few in the grade total. At least there are a lot in the neighboring towns like Scarsdale and New Rochelle, but still, I can feel a divide. We considered Rye Neck too. Have you looked in Larchmont? It is a walkable downtown and easy train. The only issue is you definitely have to sacrifice some space and probably get an older home, similar to Rye Neck. If house size is important and land/space, you may want to consider honestly leasing a third car, can find a cheap one to just get you to and from the station OR there are plenty plenty of nannies in westchester that use their own car and that may solve your problem too! All you need is to buy car seats for them.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the advice Beam10. What you're saying about Eastchester is enough to make me not want to consider it. Can you explain more about a "divide" that you mentioned? I am also considering Larchmont, but anything decent has very high taxes. Ideally, I'd like to stick to $25,000 or below in annual taxes. I am open to all areas in southern westchester with good schools and hopefully some jewish population. New Rochelle doesn't have good public schools, so that is out. Where is your focus? We do seem to have similar concerns, so I'd be especially curious to see what your plans are!

Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Taxes are a concern for sure and we also want 4bd/2.5 bath house but it will be most likely closer in the 30k range to be honest. 25k will be hard to find unless you look at the lower taxes towns like Purchase. In Purchase especially you get a lot of house for your money and the taxes are lower than anywhere else I've seen. There is a decent Jewish community there too. However, you would have to drive to white plains to commute. The station itself is easy and the commute is short but you may have to drive 5-15 minutes depending on where you live, and there is no bus option. We are also looking in Rye Brook because of good schools, jewish community and decent commute out of Port Chester, as long as its more south and not as north as Belle Faire - thats personally too far from the train for us. We love Larchmont but not sure we can find a house we like there for the price. Same with Rye Neck. One option we are going to look into actually is Briarcliff Manor. You do get a lot more house for your money but taxes are higher. The schools are really good though. As long as we live close to the train station I wouldnt mind the 45 minute ride in. They also do valet at the station so its a quick way to drop the car off and go. Also, always keeping Scarsdale open as an option in case something good comes up in our price range but havent found anything decent. It is my favorite area by far and has everything you possibly need but the prices are just insane. What are your top towns?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Oh as for divide, it's just towns like Scarsdale stick with their own community and same with residents of New Rochelle. To me, Eastchester is a heavily Italian town, and if you aren't, you are kind of an outsider. They go crazy here over Columbus Day, which is kind of strange. It also is a veryyy "red" pocket in Westchester - you should see what some of the people say in the facebook mom and dads group. It just kind of put us off and we would like to be in a more open, diverse and liberal community and realize we prefer our daughter to grow up in a town like that. But to each their own! I know many people who LOVE it here, it just is not a fit for us. We've been here over 3 years now.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Yikes! Eastchester is off my list. My top towns are Scarsdale, Rye Neck, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and maybe Harrison (Purchase is too far). I really liked Rye Neck a lot. My plan is to keep the search open in those areas and walking distance only to train and see what comes up. What is your price range? I’m surprised you didn’t see anything in rye neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County