Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 25,157 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a 1 or 2br apartment (to rent/purchase) for an elderly couple who don't drive but need daily access to Manhattan. I'm not very familiar with the towns along the river (even less so for Harlem line stops) and I'm looking for suggestions on where to focus our search. The main requirements are a somewhat walkable neighborhood and within walking distance of the train - school quality is not very important. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 08:29 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
When comparing the 2 train lines and their associated villages, one of the major things to be aware of is that, due to the topography along the Hudson, the Hudson Line Metro North stations are usually located significantly downhill from the villages, and the villages themselves are usually on an incline, whereas the Harlem line villages typically have train stations centrally located and the land tends to be flatter, on average. This may be a big deal depending on how much they enjoy walking uphill/downhill especially in winter or potentially icy conditions, it can become a bit hazardous. I say this as someone who lives in a Rivertown, btw.

You haven't mentioned anything about budget, but assuming they want to avoid the Hudson line, on the higher end of the price range is Bronxville, which is very walkable, on the more affordable end is Hartsdale. It usually gets passed over due to lower ranking schools. If you head North along the Harlem line you can find Valhalla close to White Plains, Mt. Kisco, Pleasantville, Chappaqua, all great towns but tend to be on the pricier side and perhaps a little more spread out in terms of walkability/centralized amenities.

On the Hudson line Tarrytown is a great village, plenty of amenities with newer luxury rentals/condos coming in (on the high end) but again, a bit of a hike to/from town and the train. If that isn't a big deal though, I'd definitely suggest checking it out.

Best of luck.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM

454 posts, read 763,218 times
I would suggest Fleetwood in Mt. Vernon. Plenty of condos and co-ops near the train. Or Bronxville - the "yonkers" side.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:31 PM

@vladlensky Thank you for that insightful response. I hadn't considered that river towns topography as an issue before but yes it is relevant since they would be walking to the train in all kinds of weather. Flatter would be better. (I remember once walking from the Peekskill station up toward town and it was quite steep.) I would love to find something in Tarrytown, but it might be out of our price range.

@roskybosky Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:56 AM

91 posts, read 123,334 times
What is your price range? If Tarrytown is too expensive, options are going to be quite limited in Westchester (all of the locations I'd normally suggest for walkability are more expensive). Also make sure there's a local supermarket option, several walkable town centers lack a good source for reasonably priced groceries without getting in the car.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 AM

37 posts, read 68,408 times
garth road apartments in scarsdale/eastchester are walking distance to town and train. very close. there are some cheap options too.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:02 PM

@rwch Good points..supermarket would be important..probably would be a dealbreaker to not have one close by. Price range is up to 2500. @beam The garth road apts look very nice. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 PM

91 posts, read 123,334 times
2500 for a 1br is a healthy budget and you'll have a bunch of options, for a 2br it's more limiting but doable. Bronxville and Scarsdale are flat and have nice downtowns near the train including a good grocery store. Prices are on the higher side (especially Bronxville), but there are options. Garth Rd is a good place to explore, also Pelham if you're open to an inland New Haven line option (something nearish 5th Ave north of the train).

Tarrytown fits the budget, but has a good sized hill between the train station and downtown and groceries are a bit farther north up broadway. Dobbs Ferry is also hilly, but has a commuter bus through town and it's mostly the first 5-6 blocks from the train that tire you out. Hastings on Hudson is a little hilly, but not as bad as most of the rivertowns to walk from train to town (check on Warburton just south of downtown). Tuckahoe and Crestwood are also possibilities, but I'm not sure about groceries near Tuckahoe and Crestwood is a bit more spread out to get the Stop and Shop on 22.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM

62 posts, read 89,391 times
Call me bias but Hartsdale is a great walk-able neighborhood. E Hartsdale Avenue is full of coops and condos that are at most a 10 minute walk to the train station and bus stop. The "village" area has plenty of shops and restaurants. It's actually a neighborhood full of "empty nesters" and other older citizens. There's easy access to Central Avenue (the main shopping thoroughfare that connects Yonkers to White Plains. It's worth looking into.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:02 PM

6,646 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales From Hartsdale View Post
Call me bias but Hartsdale is a great walk-able neighborhood. E Hartsdale Avenue is full of coops and condos that are at most a 10 minute walk to the train station and bus stop. The "village" area has plenty of shops and restaurants. It's actually a neighborhood full of "empty nesters" and other older citizens. There's easy access to Central Avenue (the main shopping thoroughfare that connects Yonkers to White Plains. It's worth looking into.
I'll second that. I lived there and when I moved out my mother moved in. The only thing I will say about it is that from Central Ave to the Train is quite hilly. I dunno if , at their age, they will have difficulty walking uphill or down, especially during inclement weather.

The strip to the train station has decent amenities. Drug store, pizza, some restaurants, Starbucks, bank. Oh and a Dunkin now.

It isn't very expensive either, imho. And yeah,..my building is full of older retired people mostly.

Total other side would be Bronxville. Really nice level walkable village around the train station and Rent/coop is available to. It's all just pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County