Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 AM

4 posts, read 12,958 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are first time homebuyer and are new to Westchester county. We are
currently using a real estate agent in the house finding process, and we have
been exposed to houses in MLS listings. But we did not find many properties that meet our requirements in that listing. Now I wonder what other ways
people use to find houses, besides looking at MLS listings.

Here are a few ways I can think of:
- Open houses on the Journal news
- Drive around and see
- Websites such as: For Sale By Owner, homes for sale, houses, real estate, for sale, and ?

Thx,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 52,567 times
Hi,
We are in the same boat. Except, we have pretty much bin looking for the past 5 years.

Every realtor, that we have dealt with, was pretty much useless. They could only show us what was on the MLS, and I became tired of telling them, that I didn't like the house, that they wanted us to look at.

Westchester is very difficult, because most of the houses are very old and when you do find a descent house the taxes are then too high.

The forsale by owner websites seem to be pretty much out of date for many of the houses listed.

The only other sites that also have some listings are:

NYpennysaver.com

and the NY times website, has an open house search.

Good Luck

Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM

37 posts, read 156,112 times
You can also check out For Sale By Owner, homes for sale, houses, real estate, for sale

Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Try maybe craiglist.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps great webpage in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdina36315 View Post
Hi,
We are in the same boat. Except, we have pretty much bin looking for the past 5 years.

Every realtor, that we have dealt with, was pretty much useless. They could only show us what was on the MLS, and I became tired of telling them, that I didn't like the house, that they wanted us to look at.

Westchester is very difficult, because most of the houses are very old and when you do find a descent house the taxes are then too high.

The forsale by owner websites seem to be pretty much out of date for many of the houses listed.

The only other sites that also have some listings are:

NYpennysaver.com

and the NY times website, has an open house search.

Good Luck

I think you missed the boat. In fact, if you purchased any home 5 years ago you would have doubled your money. It wouln't have mattered if you liked it.
I will send you another lifeboat don't let this one slip by. {The interest rates are at historic lows right now, find yourself a place (that you can afford) and make it a home.}

Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 258,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
I think you missed the boat. In fact, if you purchased any home 5 years ago you would have doubled your money. It wouln't have mattered if you liked it.
I will send you another lifeboat don't let this one slip by. {The interest rates are at historic lows right now, find yourself a place (that you can afford) and make it a home.}
It is a buyers market! Many properties available, low interest rates, spring rush is starting, get on board. I just bought in Somers area. Yeah price was up there, lower than 8 months ago though. Taxes are high everywhere now. If you want the 4500 s/f house on 2 acres, prepare to spend the 1.5 mil and have a 25- 30K tax bill!

Otherwise select your favorite 25 houses on the MLS and narrow down by categories. (like-has pool, close to train, level property, size of property, house size, style of house, etc.) Then pick what you like best out of the most important category and set up to see 7 or 8 next weekend. Remember, if you are going to be in the house long term, whats 50K over 30 years!

The nicer houses sell fast! Mine was 6 days on the market when I made my offer and negotiated to get it accepted. It took one day! I saw it at 11:00 am and had the offer accepted at 6:00PM.

Go for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Yeah right! Your lifeboat is going to sink to the bottom of the Long Island sound. This real estate market hasn't even begun to fully get into a correction.

Wait 2 years and then come back with this talk of lifeboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post

Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,632 times
Drive around.

To be honest. that's one of my favorite sunday activities.
Just driving around and looking at houses for sale.

.. Seriously.

And, that way. You can drive around to see the neighborhood, as opposed to reading overhyped text below a ****ty image in a magazine.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 AM

17 posts, read 52,567 times
What dream world are you living in, where you bought a house 5 years ago and now it is worth double? It may have gone up a bit the first couple of years, but the last couple would have brougt it back down.

Our biggest hold up, is that we have basically dicided on buying in White Plains, where it is difficult to find a newer type house. White Plains is our choice, because friends and family are in the area and most importantly, I am tired to taking Metro North to the city from Brewster. Aslo tired of driving up and down 684 to visit people.

I love the somers and surrounding area, It would be easy to find a house there, we just are tired with the commuting from that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County