Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM

12 posts, read 20,482 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are relocating from Kansas and moving to Westchester County. I have done extensive online researching on schools and do plan to visit, but “think” I have it narrowed down to Irvington Schools And Rye Neck, maybe Blind Brooke? Our house budget with be around 1.2, give or take. We will want to find a church home... Protestant/Christian- we are open to many... We are not the Country Club type nor is sending our kids to sleep away camp something we think we’d ever do. I’m a stay at home mom and don’t need a nanny either. and am a little afraid of not quite fitting in anywhere. Please know I am not trying to stereotype but going off off so many threads I’ve read. The area I currently live in has its own stereotypes that I actually fit in and it’s not always a fair judgement Of character. Let me also say... my husband will be making a nice income and we enjoy nice things, but keeping up with the Joneses is not really our vibe. But still, we desire great schools, preferably small. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything I may have overlooked? PS, we want a less than 20 minute commute to the Rye Brook area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCtoNYC View Post
Hi! We are relocating from Kansas and moving to Westchester County. I have done extensive online researching on schools and do plan to visit, but “think” I have it narrowed down to Irvington Schools And Rye Neck, maybe Blind Brooke? Our house budget with be around 1.2, give or take. We will want to find a church home... Protestant/Christian- we are open to many... We are not the Country Club type nor is sending our kids to sleep away camp something we think we’d ever do. I’m a stay at home mom and don’t need a nanny either. and am a little afraid of not quite fitting in anywhere. Please know I am not trying to stereotype but going off off so many threads I’ve read. The area I currently live in has its own stereotypes that I actually fit in and it’s not always a fair judgement Of character. Let me also say... my husband will be making a nice income and we enjoy nice things, but keeping up with the Joneses is not really our vibe. But still, we desire great schools, preferably small. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything I may have overlooked? PS, we want a less than 20 minute commute to the Rye Brook area. Thanks!
You landed on the Long Island forum. Try"Westchester County".

Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 AM

Oops!

Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,003 times
Blind Brook (Rye Brook) and Rye neck have reputations as being more Jewish oriented than Christian FYI. Also check out Hastings, Pelham, Rye city, Bronxville, Larchmont, Katonah, Pleasantville.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 AM

276 posts, read 397,795 times
As someone who lived in the Kansas City area for six years, I can tell you that you will find a lot of the areas that have been suggested as very nice, if a little shocking in price and cost. Having many of the same preferences as you express (except, unfortunately for me, a Manhattan commute), we ended up in Rye section of Rye Neck, and we love it. Lots of churches nearby to choose from. For what it's worth, when we moved here (from California) we narrowed it down to Irvington, Rye Neck, Rye Ciy and Edgemont. so our list was similar to yours.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Thank you!!! Any opinions on Edgemont, Dobbs Ferry or Ardsley???

Old 03-26-2019, 12:33 PM

276 posts, read 397,795 times
Edgemont has excellent schools, by some measures the best from an academic achievement standpoint. To me, Edgemont wins if having that is by far the most important thing. Edgemont has kind of a weird connection to Scarsdale (ZIP Code) but doesn't have its own downtown is in many places not especially walkable. The unusually high-feeling property taxes means that people generally do not update houses in obvious ways to keep from being noticed. So we were really not able to find much that we liked when we were looking. Edgemont's advantage is proximity to a lot of the commerce in Westchester, so it's convenient to everything.

For us, Ardsley had a little bit of the same issues, just less severe. Great school and no downtown of its own. Property taxes are better than Edgemont, though.

Dobbs Ferry was nice, kind of a little of everything. Nice downtown, very good schools, picturesque, with a small town feel. For us, Dobbs was challenging because of the hilly terrain, which we imagined would be a nightmare in the winter (although it doesn't seem to snow nearly as much as we expected when we moved here), the funky personality of the town (very hard to explain - eclectic mix of people), and the lack of anything we liked in terms of houses at the time.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Thank you! Such great info!

Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM

What would a commute from Rye Brook to areas north such as Chappaqua be like?

Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Blind Brook (Rye Brook) and Rye neck have reputations as being more Jewish oriented than Christian FYI. Also check out Hastings, Pelham, Rye city, Bronxville, Larchmont, Katonah, Pleasantville.
Hastings and Larchmont are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County