Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times

Advertisements

I realize that this plant isn't in Westchester, so maybe this isn't the best forum, but I was wondering if anyone knows the future of this plant? I've heard it supplies 25% of electrical power to NYC and that they have plans to shut it down. Where will power come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I realize that this plant isn't in Westchester, so maybe this isn't the best forum, but I was wondering if anyone knows the future of this plant? I've heard it supplies 25% of electrical power to NYC and that they have plans to shut it down. Where will power come from?

Well, first of all, the plant is in Westchester. Its in the Town of Cortlandt, Village of Buchanan. The plant is closing. There are two reactors at the plant. One is set to be shut down in April 2020 and the second in April 2021. Then, no mor epower.

As for replacement, there is a gas plant in Haverstraw which has a lot more capacity than is being used now and there is a plan for a high voltage line from canada that will handle all the NYC need, but it has not been passed by either country yet. Otherwise, the grid has a surplus now, so there are no immediate need issues, but in the future, who knows.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Well, first of all, the plant is in Westchester. Its in the Town of Cortlandt, Village of Buchanan. The plant is closing. There are two reactors at the plant. One is set to be shut down in April 2020 and the second in April 2021. Then, no mor epower.

As for replacement, there is a gas plant in Haverstraw which has a lot more capacity than is being used now and there is a plan for a high voltage line from canada that will handle all the NYC need, but it has not been passed by either country yet. Otherwise, the grid has a surplus now, so there are no immediate need issues, but in the future, who knows.
In addition to these is the proposed wind plant miles off of Long Island and weatherization programs to retrofit buildings to be more efficient. There’s also been a gradual increase of solar power installments both at utility scale and smaller individual deployments. There doesn’t look to be any particular grave issues that would arise from shutting down the plant especially as it’s quite old and located in a rather precarious position upriver from a major economic driver.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In addition to these is the proposed wind plant miles off of Long Island and weatherization programs to retrofit buildings to be more efficient. There’s also been a gradual increase of solar power installments both at utility scale and smaller individual deployments. There doesn’t look to be any particular grave issues that would arise from shutting down the plant especially as it’s quite old and located in a rather precarious position upriver from a major economic driver.
The age is a great point. These reactors is no longer cost effective. Modern reactors pump out more energy and cost a fraction to run and maintain. These reactors are not quite past life expectancy, but the standards to maintain are so high that its tough to run them at a profit. They needed to either be shut down or replaced. I think the location alone was good enough to explain why the needed to be shut down instead of replaced. Lots of arguments on either side as to whether nuclear power is what we want, but other than the local school district, I am not sure anyone wanted these plants to keep running as is.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
The age is a great point. These reactors is no longer cost effective. Modern reactors pump out more energy and cost a fraction to run and maintain. These reactors are not quite past life expectancy, but the standards to maintain are so high that its tough to run them at a profit. They needed to either be shut down or replaced. I think the location alone was good enough to explain why the needed to be shut down instead of replaced. Lots of arguments on either side as to whether nuclear power is what we want, but other than the local school district, I am not sure anyone wanted these plants to keep running as is.
Yea, and I think a graduated payment or allocation to the local school district to take the edge off of the sudden collapse of revenue is pretty sensible. It's a lot of money for a single small municipality, but tiny in terms of state finances or the risk it poses towards a metropolitan area that is the largest economic driver for the state and nation. The right thing to do is to shut it down and then fund the local municipality for the loss for a while so it's not the floor coming out from under them.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and I think a graduated payment or allocation to the local school district to take the edge off of the sudden collapse of revenue is pretty sensible. It's a lot of money for a single small municipality, but tiny in terms of state finances or the risk it poses towards a metropolitan area that is the largest economic driver for the state and nation. The right thing to do is to shut it down and then fund the local municipality for the loss for a while so it's not the floor coming out from under them.
Unfortunately, the latter is the case. Hendrick Hudson Schools have a tiered drop, but its still the floor coming out from them. The school got a heads up, like we all did, over 3 years in advance of the first closure. They then worked out an agreement where the school loses funding in chunks, something like 30% or something close to it for 3 years than the final year is only 10% of current, then its over in 2025. But its a still a massive figure over 8 years from notice. The school district has to cut some much. When its done, it will be such a poor district. And because of the land value being eliminated by the closure of the plant, but the storage of the spent fuel material, nothing else can be done for a lot of the property there. So its going to be a lot of dead land. Feel for the area's residents. State aid is also coming to help, but long term damages are going to hurt. Its going to change the village and how it operates.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:53 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:

I understand that this plant supplies 25% of NYC's electricity. That's a lot, and solar and wind won't do it, not to mention reliability. The gas plant doesn't fir Cuomo's green energy plan.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
I understand that this plant supplies 25% of NYC's electricity. That's a lot, and solar and wind won't do it, not to mention reliability. The gas plant doesn't fir Cuomo's green energy plan.
. Cuomo is a first class jackass. Sneaking a passage into a 1,000 page bill in the middle of the night that renamed the TZ bridge is strike 1. Strike 2 is closing Indian Point, and then not replacing it with what it is the cheapest and easiest replacement - natural gas.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Actually solar and wind more than do it. Comments like that are a decade old. But every green energy supporters understands that the process for green energy is a long and expensive one from a grid designed on coal and gas works. Increasing the already present capacity of a gas works is far better than watching a shortage of power. Working with the present and planning for the future, thats green.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
. Cuomo is a first class jackass. Sneaking a passage into a 1,000 page bill in the middle of the night that renamed the TZ bridge is strike 1. Strike 2 is closing Indian Point, and then not replacing it with what it is the cheapest and easiest replacement - natural gas.
Actually he is a very nice man who cares a great deal for his family and New York. He also loved his father, a governor with huge approval ratings even after his death. What he is also is a very liberal democrat and a lot of people hate his in this time of hate filled politics. Cuomo used the legislative process to accomplish a goal which I respect. Its part of the process. Elected officials use surprise to thwart political opponents all the time. On September 11, North Carolina republicans who had their budget vetoed publicly stated no votes would be held Tuesday morning so that members could attend a 9/11 memorial service. But the republicans did not attend the memorial, instead they held a vote to override the veto, and since the democrats were at the memorial, they had enough votes present to do it. States do this frequently. Do I like it, no, but this is the rules that elected officials work with. Now for this, there was no sneaking, the entire assembly and senate was sitting. Every person was there to vote. He just out maneuvered his opponents by having the votes and attaching it to bill they wanted to pass. Again, it happens all the time. When you lose, its sneaky, when you win its good political work. So your strike one is a home run for those on the opposing view. The same with Indian Point. Its a 100% home run. That is an idiotic place to have ever built the plant. It needed to be closed IMO. So far with what you have presented, I see two home runs. And natural gas is indeed one of the many replacements for the lost power production, and it is being used. Not sure what you are complaining about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County