Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,144 times

Advertisements

I have a great job in my field in lower Manhattan (though it’s not super well paid), but am longing for a more outdoorsy lifestyle. I currently live in Brooklyn, where I’m close to both family and friends, but I’m not into most of the things that city life offers (I don’t care about restaurants, museums, shows, etc.) Every weekend I try to escape the city for a hike somewhere, but the stress of traffic or figuring out trains makes the effort not worthwhile). I’ve been contemplating a move to westchester or Jersey for the last couple of years, but I worry about being isolated (I’m a single woman in my late 30s). I also worry about the commute, though I can often work from home a couple of days a week (though in general I work long hours, so 3-day weekends aren’t an option). Any recommendations for a nature-lover tied to work in NYC? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynprof View Post
I have a great job in my field in lower Manhattan (though it’s not super well paid), but am longing for a more outdoorsy lifestyle. I currently live in Brooklyn, where I’m close to both family and friends, but I’m not into most of the things that city life offers (I don’t care about restaurants, museums, shows, etc.) Every weekend I try to escape the city for a hike somewhere, but the stress of traffic or figuring out trains makes the effort not worthwhile). I’ve been contemplating a move to westchester or Jersey for the last couple of years, but I worry about being isolated (I’m a single woman in my late 30s). I also worry about the commute, though I can often work from home a couple of days a week (though in general I work long hours, so 3-day weekends aren’t an option). Any recommendations for a nature-lover tied to work in NYC? Thanks in advance!!
If you are in lower Manhattan, I would recommend NJ. Westchester is lovely and has great trails, but Grand Central to lower Manhattan is a long subway ride after a long MetroNorth ride.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,144 times
Thanks, yeah I’ve been thinking that Jersey might be more practical, though I prefer north of the city.. any recommendations on towns/neighborhoods?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I’ve been thinking that Jersey might be more practical, though I prefer north of the city.. any recommendations on towns/neighborhoods?
New Jersey has a ferry to Atlantic Highlands. A friend lives there and loves hiking and kayaking there. There is Summit, Madison and Morristown but that is a longer commute.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If you are in lower Manhattan, I would recommend NJ. Westchester is lovely and has great trails, but Grand Central to lower Manhattan is a long subway ride after a long MetroNorth ride.
I second this. My job is also in lower manhattan and I commute from Dobbs Ferry. Looking to sell now because I can't take losing 4 hours of my life every day on a commute.

But agree, the nature up here is beautiful and I will miss the peace and quiet, and having my own outdoor space (!) If you have a flexible job or one that allows you significant work from home, it may be worth the commuting trade-off, but I wouldn't recommend it for commuting downtown M-F.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 PM

138 posts, read 246,691 times
great thread. I feel your pain. I lived in NYC for five years and am likely gone for good as of recently. I found Gotham life too exhausting.

best of luck in finding the middle ground. perhaps your job would allow you to work from home three days a week.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 PM

15 posts, read 13,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I second this. My job is also in lower manhattan and I commute from Dobbs Ferry. Looking to sell now because I can't take losing 4 hours of my life every day on a commute.

But agree, the nature up here is beautiful and I will miss the peace and quiet, and having my own outdoor space (!) If you have a flexible job or one that allows you significant work from home, it may be worth the commuting trade-off, but I wouldn't recommend it for commuting downtown M-F.
While Dobbs Ferry is a fine town, a very good friend from college is experiencing the same issue and he has only been in his home about four years. Ease of commute is one of the top factors I stress with my clients.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 AM

218 posts, read 605,617 times
My two cents, you're going to need a car in Westchester anyway so you'll likely be driving to wherever your hiking, not going to the same local nature preserve time after time. Straight shots up the Taconic, 684, or a ride over the Tappan Zee will get you to some great spots fairly quickly (even the Catskill Forest is only about 2 hours). I think you'd be wise to focus on the NYC commute more than what preserves/trails are super close. I think the frequency of express trains and 35min ride makes White Plains the best NYC commute in Westchester. Plus there's lots of stuff around by Westchester standards, so it might be an easier transition and ease the isolation concerns. WP is also at the intersection of all the roads mentioned above that are going to get you to the good hiking. But it's urban...so you wont be living in a nature lovers location....you'll be living in a commuter/decent for singles location with much easier access to the nature.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

218 posts, read 605,617 times
If you have your heart set on having trails close by, Rockefeller Preserve are some of the best trails in lower/central Westchester, which is where you'll need to be to minimize the commute. And if river view in a surban town is more of the sort of natural setting that you're looking for, then checkout Tarrytown too. Less trains and restaurants than WP, but still a comparatively good commute and social scene

Old 09-19-2019, 01:29 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with Westchester, but why are you looking so far away from your job? Have you looked into St. George, Staten Island? Staten Island has the Greenbelt, new park opening up, and you can take the ferry and walk to work from the Manhattan terminal.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County