Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,959 times

Advertisements

There has been a bout of recent articles about gang violence in Nyack in the journal news (local paper). I believe the school district has also gone downhill. I would do a little more research before making a move. I may have missed this but there are some nice areas in Long Island that may be more convenient for both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 AM

6 posts, read 49,730 times
I grew up in Hastings and the hills are definitely a pain in the neck, but you get used to them. It is definitely different from the city. We did have an ice cream place, but it recently shut down. Yes, most of the stores are closed on Sundays. I am not too sure if it's the norm of Westchester towns compared to the cities such as Yonkers, White Plains, etc. I am not too sure about traffic on the Cross County, but the Saw Mill can get backed up depending on what time it is or if they're accidents.
Hastings has excellent schools and was voted a blue ribbon school. I went all the way through Hastings schools and I felt that I got a really good education. I think that rent is the same in Hastings and in Dobbs. It's really pricey. If you are still considering living there, I would check out the Enterprise. They might have some listings in there.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 AM

6 posts, read 49,730 times
The village of Hastings is kinda busy during the weekdays because of the people coming off the trains or just hanging out in town ( mostlythe students from FMS and HHS). On Saturdays, a lot of families will do their shopping down there or go to the library. Honestly, if you're in middle school or HS, there is really nothing to do. Most of the students hang around town, take the bus to White Plains or the train to the city if they're allowed. They also have the community center on Main Street that some of the students hangout at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&F View Post
I've been following this thread, you helped me on my inquiry about the Yonkers Schools - I had pretty much decided to forget about Yonkers and started really focusing on Hastings. There's a co-op bldg right in the middle of town that has a listing right now which drew my attention to it. It is one block from the schools, and just around the corner from the community center and the little downtown area. I was thinking how nice it would be for my daughter to be right in the middle of a little village with sidewalked streets and a library, community center, and bunches of little businesses (including a little A&P) just around the block.

so now I'm wondering about the isolated streets in Hastings on a Sunday. Is it busier and bustling on weekday afternoons? I want us to live in a town that is alive so I won't end up with a bored middle schooler/high schooler in a few years.

My impression of Hastings is that it is quite an active and alive community. Perhaps it was a bit dead because it's not that warm out yet, etc.?

thanks for continued input (and maybe more info will help ceskykrumlov's husband)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM

40 posts, read 176,128 times
babieejae1101--thanks for sharing your experience growing up in Hastings. You say you feel you got a very good education, which is great...in other respects how was it to grow up there? I am asking because you mention that "honestly, there is nothing to do" for a middle or high school kid. I am just hoping to move somewhere where my kids will not be bored to tears when they are that age (like I was growing up in a small town in CT). Are there many recreational opportunities/clubs/activities for kids?

Thanks also for the recommendation of Enterprise--I'll check them out.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 AM

40 posts, read 176,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
There has been a bout of recent articles about gang violence in Nyack in the journal news (local paper). I believe the school district has also gone downhill. I would do a little more research before making a move. I may have missed this but there are some nice areas in Long Island that may be more convenient for both of you.
I have read that recently about Nyack, too. But everything else about the area seems so nice.

If you have any recommendations for LI towns I would love to hear them. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceskykrumlov View Post
I have read that recently about Nyack, too. But everything else about the area seems so nice.

If you have any recommendations for LI towns I would love to hear them. Thank you!
Try Huntington in Suffolk County. Walk around Main Street and the surrounding streets on a Friday or Saturday night. You'll love it!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,040 times
Babieejae1101 - what or where is the Enterprise? I googled and came up with nothing. I'd like to check it out, at least with a drive-by, when I come up memorial day weekend.

I may have to rent when I first move up - logistically, it might make more sense to rent first and make sure it's where i want us to be, plus I may need to rent out my townhouse here in Virginia since the market is soft for selling, but ripe for renting.

also, I think there's a big rental building I think on Warburton north of Main - or is it on Maple? Anyway, pretty close to the train station. do you know the name of that building?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM

103 posts, read 572,241 times
Default Enterprise

The Rivertowns Enterprise is the local paper for Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, and Ardsley. I know the A & P in Hastings sells it. I'm sure there are other places that sell it as well.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,040 times
I've made my decision - I'm going to do everything I can to get moved up there this summer.

My daughter is not doing well in daycare. She has a mood disorder. She is doing OK, but they are tired of doing the things that her therapist recommends. they just want to warehouse her like all the other kids - this is the way all daycare are here (and this is at a church). I started checking to see if there are any summer camps for kids with emotional problems (she's been through alot, for pete's sake, adopted, then her adopted father dies, etc.). the only one I can find around here is very expensive, so I'm told to talk to my local social services office about getting her a 'develomental delay waiver'. I've called this office before and they've said "can't help you - have no services for you" - well, this time I got this very helpful case manager, who told me that I could get her assessed for services, but in Virginia there is a TWO TO TEN YEAR WAIT for services. I muttered "might as moved to NY now" - she said, if you are thinking about moving to NY, go NOW - Virginia is #48 in providing social services to children and families, NY is #2 (Colorado is #1). Then, the educational consultant I hired up there emailed and said basically after reviewing my daughter's documents from school, she can't believe how little they are doing for her in school. all that just seals the deal for me - why stay here one more school year? she's not going to improve.

I'm meeting with a property management agent this week to discuss renting out my townhouse - and I'm going to look into rentals up there when I come up this weekend. In Hastings. I'm pretty sure I want to live in Hastings.

It sort of feels good to have made a decision, actually, now I gotta get cracking at getting rid of junk, etc.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,617 times
Default hastings vs dobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&F View Post
ok, thanks for clarifying that. we aren't afraid to walk! one reason I want to make the move - more walking! here, everyone lives out of their car, which also creates a real feeling of isolation. I will ask my friend to put the Dobb Ferry park on our list for the tour . . .

also, I like to hear about the police presence. my friend said every time he goes into Hastings he sees a cop or two patrolling the town.

Hi I just logged on to find out more about the two towns of hastings and dobbs ferry. I am moving from manhattan.. and wanted a town to walk to since that is what we do in the city. I have two kids 6 and 8. It seems you have done a lot of research and was hoping you can give me your insights into the two towns....want a bustling community and schools with arts and NOT TOO MUCH pressure on the kids. Any input would be welcome. THANKS! Hope all is going well with your relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County