Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,816 times

Advertisements

My six-year-old son was just diagnosed with moderate dyslexia and borderline (inattentive) ADHD. We had been planning to move to southern Westchester for the next school year and are wondering if there are any towns with particularly good services on this issue. His doctor said he should be fine with in-school supports at a general public school, rather than requiring the comprehensive services of the Windward School. We like Irvington, and know the River Towns/Ardsley generally have good services, but are unsure of which schools are best suited to this specific issue of dyslexia.

For other background, my husband and I both work full time in Manhattan, so commute is a factor. We also have an eight-year-old daughter, who tested as gifted and talented, but is pretty adaptable and will likely do well in any environment. Price range and other factors are pretty flexible - we would be fine with something smaller in an expensive area or larger in a cheaper area. We are moving from Brooklyn. Thank you for any insight and recommendations.

Last edited by Home TBD; 11-09-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
Hi, curious if you ever got any replies to your question or found out anything from additional research. We are looking to move to Westchester as well and have kids with similar issues. Did you get any recommendations to help narrow down your search?

Old 11-24-2020, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,816 times
It was surprisingly hard to get information about. I repeatedly heard that Pleasantville is great, but that was difficult for our commute. We landed in Pelham and have been happy so far - the special education staff seems great and it is light years ahead of what we were dealing with in a NYC public school. Otherwise, I heard good things about Rye Neck special services and would have considered moving there if we found a house in that district. I know Irvington has some supports as well though I heard inconsistent stories about people’s experiences.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,118 times
JDSE - same question to you as you had for the OP in November...

Our child has ADHD and anxiety issues, and I think she may eventually have a dysgraphia diagnosis in the future. (Totally unscientific hunch based on too much reading on the internet). We are looking in Westchester, also from an NYC public school. She's had a 504, not quite at the level of IEP - at least we don't think so, but I can't say I had a ton of faith in the school's evaluation 2 years ago. Then came Covid...

Encouraging to hear about Pelham. Has anyone heard anything about Mamaroneck (Hommocks Middle and MHS) or Chappaqua?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County