Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 7,448 times

Advertisements

...to even consider Fleetwood, the BRONX and the best safe locations here)? White Plains, Mt. Vernon or Riverdale? A 55+ active adult community? A condo or co-op for $100,000 or slightly more? I am a transplanted NYer living in Atlanta and looking to come back and live up North ..again. My son is about to be married and the grands will be here eventually. Needless to say, I'd like to be close by. (They're going to be in Riverdale.) I plan to sell my home here and with some investments I have, buy up there. A pet friendly place (I have a cat), grocery shopping and entertainment close by would be ideal (I don't drive so walking is my preferred "mode of transport" if a community has no immediate transportation.)

Somebody tell me I'm not crazy (I know it might take awhile to find something but ....)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 12:47 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times
In Fleetwood, a 1 bedroom for around $125k is definitely possible. I just moved to Fleetwood 4 months ago, and though I do have a car, it's walkable if that's your preference. You may not have access to everything you desire, but it's doable.

My building is cat friendly, as are many co-ops.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 7,448 times
Hi Liz,

Thanks for your response. Are there any specific areas you recommend in Fleetwood? I don't wish to become a PIA to you but you apparently know more about it than I do. My realtor sees "Bronx" and has no idea. I know she's supposedly in touch with her colleagues in NY but even with that, I'm not sure how much they know. I realize they are ALL trying to SELL someone and maybe I'm expecting too much for the sake of honesty. (Far from naive here but still would like the upper hand if you know what I mean). Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 AM

If your realtor is seeing Bronx then she is not actually looking at listings in Fleetwood. Fleetwood is an area of Mount Vernon that closely borders Yonkers and yes, is close to the Bronx, but is not the Bronx.

It's a few square blocks big, so there's not really one area to recommend over another. Closer to the train will be more expensive. If you don't need to regularly commute into the city for anything, then you can go a few blocks further.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:33 AM

821 posts, read 773,209 times
Personally, I love the HoulihanLawrence.com website for searching. You can search all of Westchester County and set a price range (e.g. 75,000 to 125,000) to see what’s available.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Personally, I love the HoulihanLawrence.com website for searching. You can search all of Westchester County and set a price range (e.g. 75,000 to 125,000) to see what’s available.
Yes! I used this extensively when I was looking. I was used to looking at Streeteasy, since I was originally planning to buy in Queens, and they list maintenance. Zillow generally does not, but I found that the HL site always had it. It was incredibly helpful.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 PM

62 posts, read 81,389 times
I'm a Realtor in the area. You will not be able to get a condo in the $100K range in any of the areas you mentioned. For a co-op you will need to show income even if you are a cash buyer. Starting price for a studio in Riverdale is about $125K and one bedrooms starting at about $150-175K. I would say Fleetwood is not ideal if you don't have a car. I'd suggest the section of Yonkers which borders on the Village of Bronxville which is very walkable and has a Metro North station. You could possibly find a co-op studio there in the $100K range.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM

454 posts, read 763,134 times
If you decide on Fleetwood, stay north of Williams street, and west of Columbus avenue/rt 22. Not that there are any bad areas in Fleetwood, but these borders will enable you to walk to the train, restaurants, grocery store, Joe's pizza (the best)and CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County