Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 41,152 times

Advertisements

Here are our specs:

-Moving for work-related reasons

-One person working in Connecticut (Fairfield County on the Metro-North commuting line or driving), commute 2x per week. And one working in Long Island (central Nassau County, driving), commute 3x per week

-Seeking to buy a single-family home for under $1.25m, but have some wiggle room on budget if necessary

-Family of four (two children, elementary age), desire excellent k-12 public schools that are not focused solely on teaching to the test.

-Favor communities with: families with young children, artsy/bohemian/cosmopolitan atmosphere, attractive architecture

-Most important: Easy commutes, walkable town area, excellent schools, friendly neighbors

We are currently thinking about Pelham or Larchmont based on suggestions from friends. Based on my above, are there particular pros/cons to each of these towns (Pelham/Larchmont) that we should be aware of/consider?

But are also open to other town suggestions as well...

TIA

Last edited by amherstms; 04-11-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 12:20 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
The artsy/bohemian thing is more associated with river village communities, although these are generally vague terms and no one can truly know what your operative definition of each is.

All in all, though, I think you will do fine in each community. Know that with Larchmont, you will be in Mamaroneck SD, which will be much larger and more diverse (ethnically and economically) than Pelham. Mamaroneck is your classic large HS, with a mix of all different types of kids/families, and a bit more of a regional feel. Pelham is smaller with more of a single community feel.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 PM

We thought of the river towns but we like a more eclectic mix of people, and Pelham and Larchmont sounded like there was more of a mix of different types (maybe incorrect?)

Aside from the feel, are there any significant curricular differences between the two high schools/school districts? For example, does one high school offer significantly more AP classes? More clubs/sports?

I also heard that in Larchmont, a fair amount go private for high school. Is there any truth to that?

Old 04-14-2020, 07:13 PM

139 posts, read 211,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amherstms View Post
We thought of the river towns but we like a more eclectic mix of people, and Pelham and Larchmont sounded like there was more of a mix of different types (maybe incorrect?)

Aside from the feel, are there any significant curricular differences between the two high schools/school districts? For example, does one high school offer significantly more AP classes? More clubs/sports?

I also heard that in Larchmont, a fair amount go private for high school. Is there any truth to that?
What variety of 'types' are you seeking? That statement probably means very different things to different people. If you could expand a bit that would be helpful.

I live in the Mamaroneck SD (which Larchmont is zoned for). I know very few who go private: some do for religious education and there's also a significant population of French ex-pats many of whom go to FASNY. Outside of that, pretty much everyone goes public. It's a great school district.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:

Both schools will offer a full array of interscholastic sports. More or less all Westchester high schools do. They both are excellent for hockey - youth programs as well. Hockey is not universally participated in county-wide by the public high schools.

As far as clubs and AP classes, I don't know specifics, but with Mamaroneck being much larger, it probably has more clubs, and might have more AP classes, although I would think Pelham would have a full array as well.

If I were choosing between these two, I would make the choice based on the specifics of the house (price/taxes/size/condition/amenties) which was my top choice in each, plus my preference for large/regional/economically diverse HS vs. smaller/single community/more uniformly upscale high school. Although Pelham is a bit more racially diverse than similar communities in other parts of Westchester. Also, Pelham is not overly small, it is just much smaller than Mamaroneck. Small schools are Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Tuckahoe, etc. Pelham is more medium size-ish.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_what View Post
What variety of 'types' are you seeking? That statement probably means very different things to different people. If you could expand a bit that would be helpful.

I live in the Mamaroneck SD (which Larchmont is zoned for). I know very few who go private: some do for religious education and there's also a significant population of French ex-pats many of whom go to FASNY. Outside of that, pretty much everyone goes public. It's a great school district.
I suppose a variety of all types of people would be nice. From what I understand (reading online), the Rivertowns are pretty heavily progressive-left, hipsters with families (?) Well, in all honesty, that is probably what we are! But we don't want to necessarily live in a town that has tons of people just like us (some would be nice, but I like a more mixed up neighborhood).

We're not from the east coast originally and we don't know the neighborhoods and towns well, but friends from NY often tell us we should move to Park Slope, so I suppose this must mean something to people from the area and probably gives you an idea of our "vibe" (but we don't want to live in the city, hence looking up in Westchester).

That's good to know that people stay in public through 12 in Mamaroneck SD. One of the things we don't want is to move to a great place and have the kids settle in, only for all their friends to take off for other schools in 9th grade!

Last edited by amherstms; 04-15-2020 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Both schools will offer a full array of interscholastic sports. More or less all Westchester high schools do. They both are excellent for hockey - youth programs as well. Hockey is not universally participated in county-wide by the public high schools.

As far as clubs and AP classes, I don't know specifics, but with Mamaroneck being much larger, it probably has more clubs, and might have more AP classes, although I would think Pelham would have a full array as well.

If I were choosing between these two, I would make the choice based on the specifics of the house (price/taxes/size/condition/amenties) which was my top choice in each, plus my preference for large/regional/economically diverse HS vs. smaller/single community/more uniformly upscale high school. Although Pelham is a bit more racially diverse than similar communities in other parts of Westchester. Also, Pelham is not overly small, it is just much smaller than Mamaroneck. Small schools are Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Tuckahoe, etc. Pelham is more medium size-ish.
Thanks for the info.

My kids are both fairly studious, nice, sociable kids. My younger has some social anxieties and possibly may need some additional support in school in the future (TBD). But in general, I have noted that both do fairly well in a smaller quieter environment. That might point towards Pelham as a better fit then. But I don't know, maybe a bigger school district presents opportunities to get out of one's comfort zone a bit and rise to new challenges...

Do either of the SDs have a reputation for G&T programs or support for special needs students? Apologies if I'm getting the terminology wrong (I didn't go to public school in the US, so I'm learning about how this all works).

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:22 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,838 times
Quote:
I suppose a variety of all types of people would be nice. From what I understand (reading online), the Rivertowns are pretty heavily progressive-left, hipsters with families (?) Well, in all honesty, that is probably what we are! But we don't want to necessarily live in a town that has tons of people just like us (some would be nice, but I like a more mixed up neighborhood).

We're not from the east coast originally and we don't know the neighborhoods and towns well, but friends from NY often tell us we should move to Park Slope, so I suppose this must mean something to people from the area and probably gives you an idea of our "vibe" (but we don't want to live in the city, hence looking up in Westchester).
I live in the Rivertowns currently, and would be very hard-pressed to describe this area as either artsy or bohemian. I would describe it as quiet and suburban, similar to central Jersey but with a little more interesting topography by having direct access to the Hudson valley waterway. Neighbors tend to keep to themselves, and friendships for adults are mostly forged around school or child-related activities.

Lower Westchester primarily offers you 3 things: good public schools and child-friendly activities, a relatively convenient commute to Midtown, and a mostly quiet, safe suburban atmosphere. If these things are priorities for you at this point in life then Westchester is going to be a good choice. However if you're looking for the general experience of living in Park Slope with access to a bohemian crowd, walkabilty, diverse shopping, nightlife and activities outside of school-PTA focused events, then I would definitely look elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:01 AM

139 posts, read 211,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Lower Westchester primarily offers you 3 things: good public schools and child-friendly activities, a relatively convenient commute to Midtown, and a mostly quiet, safe suburban atmosphere. If these things are priorities for you at this point in life then Westchester is going to be a good choice. However if you're looking for the general experience of living in Park Slope with access to a bohemian crowd, walkabilty, diverse shopping, nightlife and activities outside of school-PTA focused events, then I would definitely look elsewhere.
Spot on. We could use more artsy bohemian types in Mamaroneck/Larchmont. The general vibe is much more type-A personalities, career-oriented professionals. I'd say that applies to all towns along the sound shore and most of Westchester. It's a naturally beautiful part of the country with a nice balance between suburban comforts and relatively-not-terrible commutes. But it is sorely lacking coolness.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:01 PM

396 posts, read 434,798 times
Mamaroneck schools are actually not very diverse. There is only one elementary school located in Mamaroneck, the other three are in Larchmont. The majority of students in Mamaroneck HS come from well to do families...there is a small Hispanic population and that is where the "diversity" comes in. Pelham might actually be more diverse than the Mamaroneck School district. And no, most people do not send their children to private schools in Mamaroneck/Larchmont. Not true at all. The average priced home in the district is over a million and that is averaging in apartments. It is an incredibly wealthy school district and students are very competitive. You will get more exposure to an arts community in Larchmont than Pelham. Larchmont/Mamaroneck is a much larger community than Pelham. You will also have access to the water, many parks and a lot of programs for small children (lots of young families). The two communities are very close to one another, so commuting time will not be much difference either way. Yes, the river towns seem more your vibe, but that would not be ideal in terms of your commute. It would be nightmarish. I suggest going into each town and taking a walk around the village. You will get a vibe very quickly. best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County