U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 2,733 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Our family is planning to move Westchester. we have 5 years old boy low function austism, who is current in pre-K with District 75 NY city program. The program has very small classroom with ratio of 6:1:1. Can you please help to guide us which of these areas: Chappaqua, briarcliff,mount Kisco, or eastchester has the best special needs program. I have second child who is DOES not have ASD so any school is good for him. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 AM

10 posts, read 5,983 times
Tough one to address on a forum - there’s not really a straight answer. I am a special ed parent in Lower Westchester and happy to speak with you about my experience with the school districts. Please PM me with your contact if interested.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:41 AM

40 posts, read 36,533 times
My son was in the Keller School in Yonkers and then the Hawthorne Country Day School in Hawthorne next to Gate of Heaven Cemetery they were both good schools.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 PM

34 posts, read 22,475 times
My son attended Hawthorne country day school until 4 .
He is in tarrytown now.. I think the program is kind of okay. Not the best . They do have a 8 *1*2 class and other settings.
I am not sure of Briarcliff for special needs.
ChapPapua will most likely bus the child to a different school
Eastchester also has a pretty decent special ed .

Note - I have no personal experience with other schools
At 5 - child will stay in district unless they are willing to bus ( Rich school district or school district with not appropriate setting ) or child has aggressive behaviour ( every school district)

Old 06-01-2020, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 2,733 times
Thank you everyone for your responds. I want to stay where they have small class for special need like 8*1*2 or even 6*1*2. I really dont want my kids bus to school.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:30 AM

34 posts, read 22,475 times
I would email the CSE chair person in each district and ask about the special needs program in each town.
Each school district website should list it .
I think eastchester and even whiteplains have a decent program.
If unhappy option to move should be there . Would start off renting if at all possible .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County