Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 6,797 times

Advertisements

Found a lot in Cortlandt to build from scratch and the school district is Yorktown. Don’t know much about Cortlandt besides the fact that it seems very close to Peekskill (which I hear is not so good). Would anyone advise against moving to Cortlandt? Pros, cons? Is it a “bedroom” town or does it have a lively downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 AM

7,114 posts, read 3,941,309 times
Yorktown is big. It's 40 square miles. There are Yorktown Heights, Shrub Oak, Mohegan Lake, Jefferson Valley, and Crompond (part of Cortlandt included). Yorktown is "bedroom" community.

Your lively downtown would be Peekskill. For awhile, we thought of moving to Peekskill. It seemed like it could improve with new artist lofts and more good restaurants. With this pandemic, Peekskill's future is unpredictable. It could have improved, but with record unemployment, it could get worse. The other side of Yorktown borders Mount Kisco. Mount Kisco has a walkable downtown with good restaurants. It also has a train station. Same for Katonah - a walkable downtown and one or two good restaurants and a train station.

I seriously doubt Peekskill will have any bearing on your home or life - except for good food. Westchester Community College has a Peekskill branch and I've take courses there.

I sort of doubt the closure of Indian Point would affect you - but you should ask anyway

Quote:
Few people understand Indian Point’s relationship with Westchester better than Puglisi, who, unsurprisingly, holds the distinction of Cortlandt’s longest-serving supervisor. But when the closure announcement was made in 2017, Puglisi says she found out at the same time as everyone else.

“The economic fallout of this is extremely significant,” Puglisi says. “It’s the largest taxpayer in the town of Cortlandt,” referring to the $800,000 a year the town receives from Indian Point. Meanwhile, in Buchanan, about one-half of the village’s annual revenue comes from Indian Point taxes. A local fire district and library are set to lose the lion’s share of their funding, too, Puglisi explains.

One of Cortlandt’s school districts, Hendrick Hudson, will suffer, as well. The district gets $24 million from Indian Point — “one-third of their revenue,” Puglisi says.

In total, “It adds up to $32 million a year that all the [affected] entities are going to lose,” Puglisi continues. “This is a huge challenge, one of the biggest challenges in New York State.” And that already prodigious number doesn’t even contemplate millions more dollars that Entergy pumps into the community in sponsorships, donations, intiatives and volunteerism.
Hands down, I love it here. I've lived in NYC, Austin, Texas and Boston, MA. Best place for a foodie:

Cortlandt has Helmlock Hill Farms - Good Food Grown Locally | Hemlock Hill Farm
Decicco's https://www.deciccoandsons.com/
https://uncleg.com/
A&S Pork Store and Fine Foods JV, Jefferson Valley, Yorktown, NY, 10535, Westchester County, New York, Custom Catering, Corporate Catering, Gourmet Italian Deli, Special Event Catering Company, Specialty Meats Store, Pork Store, Westchester Meat Stor
You'll have three places which makes their own fresh mozzarella and handmade pastas.

Stuart Farms has apple picking starting Labor Day weekend. https://www.stuartsfarm.com/
Wilkins Farms too Wilkens Fruit & Fir Farm – Apples, Peaches, Pumpkins, & Christmas Trees; Only an Hour North of NYC

There are many cultural sites https://hudsonvalley.org/ and Caramoor https://www.caramoor.org/ also Lyndhurst Mansion

You'll have to work hard to be bored.

Make sure that you can hook up to city water. Well water isn't the greatest.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,095,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB19 View Post
Found a lot in Cortlandt to build from scratch and the school district is Yorktown. Don’t know much about Cortlandt besides the fact that it seems very close to Peekskill (which I hear is not so good). Would anyone advise against moving to Cortlandt? Pros, cons? Is it a “bedroom” town or does it have a lively downtown?
Yorktown Gal is maybe the best source of information on this site about Yorktown and I would value her comments considerably in any decision you make. I live in Cortlandt and also feel very strongly about how good a town Cortlandt is.

First off, unless you are sending your kids to Peekskill schools, Peekskill is amazing. It has great food, nice galleries, a gorgeous waterfront with (non-covid times) amazing summer concerts and year round festivals, great private businesses right on the water front of the Hudson with amazing services. I simply LOVE Peekskill. Peekskill is a minority majority city, and while I hate to admit this, some people still view such cities are negative. Its a small and lovely city with great people. Since it is so small (about 23,000, which is close to 40-50% of Cortlandt or Yorktown, but it is a much smaller area, its density is greater. It is therefore classified by most as urban. Its not at all "not so good" unless you oppose urban living. Having close neighbors in a high density with diverse backgrounds is not for everyone, but its a great community.

Cortlandt is so big that it is broken up into sections where you live. If you are in the Yorktown school district but still in Cortlandt you are likely near the Rt. 202 corridor or between 202 and the reservoir. Either way, these are amazing locations and not far from me. 202 has great shopping, but is a bit of a nightmare in the rush hours getting to the Taconic. There are some short cuts, but it is what it is. Cortlandt has a very active town recreation department, and if you have kids or like activities like rowing, hiking, swimming, there are some unique options up here. We have our own music and movie nights on teh water as well. There is just so much fun life to enjoy up here on the Hudson.

YG is correct that Peekskill is the vibrant downtown. Friday and Saturday nights there are a few spots with live music and the Paramount brings great national and local acts in and has cool old movie nights. The bars and restaurants are great there too. If you want any specific information, shoot me a pm or ask here and I will do my best to answer. But I can tell you I have loved living here, raising my kids here, and enjoying life here. Amazing golf, hiking, waterfronts, shopping and generally very cool people.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,797 times
Thank you for all the info, I’ve driven around Katonah and Yorktown but still need to tour Cortlandt. Are the taxes in Cortlandt on par with Yorktown? I looked at a 2 acre property in Mount Kisco (house was 2,600 sq. ft and needed a ton of work) for 500k and come to find out the taxes were 22k. Way out of my price range. I would really like to keep the taxes under 15k. Is this doable on a 2 acre lot with a 2500-3000 sq. ft home in Yorktown or Cortlandt? I’m assuming it’s not possible in Katonah.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB19 View Post
Thank you for all the info, I’ve driven around Katonah and Yorktown but still need to tour Cortlandt. Are the taxes in Cortlandt on par with Yorktown? I looked at a 2 acre property in Mount Kisco (house was 2,600 sq. ft and needed a ton of work) for 500k and come to find out the taxes were 22k. Way out of my price range. I would really like to keep the taxes under 15k. Is this doable on a 2 acre lot with a 2500-3000 sq. ft home in Yorktown or Cortlandt? I’m assuming it’s not possible in Katonah.
No, I have an 2,700 square foot home on one acre in Yorktown Heights and my taxes are $15,000.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
No, I have an 2,700 square foot home on one acre in Yorktown Heights and my taxes are $15,000.
I have a 2500 Sq. Ft. home on slightly more than an acre of property which is mostly woods. My taxes and just a bit under $13,000. Cortlandt has a lower tax rate than Yorktown, but in Westchester even low taxes are crazy high. Good luck driving around Cortlandt. Make sure you visit the waterfronts.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I have a 2500 Sq. Ft. home on slightly more than an acre of property which is mostly woods. My taxes and just a bit under $13,000. Cortlandt has a lower tax rate than Yorktown, but in Westchester even low taxes are crazy high. Good luck driving around Cortlandt. Make sure you visit the waterfronts.
Not much of difference from my situation.

Croton Avenue to Baptist Church Road to Hunterbrook is a beautiful drive.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Not much of difference from my situation.

Croton Avenue to Baptist Church Road to Hunterbrook is a beautiful drive.
I think the one thing that unites all of us are crazy taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County