U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 02:19 PM

428 posts, read 232,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
Eastchester is a great community (i.e. very family oriented and education driven) and you will have access to Lake Isle (a town owned country club) which is a nice bonus as we move into the warmer months. And not to mention your budget will go much further in Eastchester than in Larchmont where that number is just a starting point.
One thing to note with Eastchester is that has a very high Italian American population. If you are Italian American, you will fit in but if not, your kids will likely be highly influenced by Italian American culture in school and by their friends.

Eastchester also differs from a lot of Southern Westchester towns in that it is very Republican. This is not a good or bad thing but something to take into consideration. In the Facebook Eastchester Groups, there is a mentality with a lot of members. Some things I've noticed.
1) Some towns/school districts have a "it takes a village" culture/mindest when raising children while Eastchester has a "Mind your own business" culture/mindset.
2) A lot of residents didn't take COVID-19 seriously. They have a it's "just the flu" type mentality, "no need to wear masks", etc. Basically a lot of stuff you hear on Fox News. Some residents would get angry when they saw groups of people congregating together which was not recommended due to COVID-19. A lot of the Facebook members would then attack that poster and tell them to mind their own business.

If you are interested in moving to a town, I would highly recommend joining some Facebook Groups for that Town/School District just to get a vibe of what the town/district is like.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:34 PM

163 posts, read 92,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
One thing to note with Eastchester is that has a very high Italian American population. If you are Italian American, you will fit in but if not, your kids will likely be highly influenced by Italian American culture in school and by their friends.

Eastchester also differs from a lot of Southern Westchester towns in that it is very Republican. This is not a good or bad thing but something to take into consideration. In the Facebook Eastchester Groups, there is a mentality with a lot of members. Some things I've noticed.
1) Some towns/school districts have a "it takes a village" culture/mindest when raising children while Eastchester has a "Mind your own business" culture/mindset.
2) A lot of residents didn't take COVID-19 seriously. They have a it's "just the flu" type mentality, "no need to wear masks", etc. Basically a lot of stuff you hear on Fox News. Some residents would get angry when they saw groups of people congregating together which was not recommended due to COVID-19. A lot of the Facebook members would then attack that poster and tell them to mind their own business.

If you are interested in moving to a town, I would highly recommend joining some Facebook Groups for that Town/School District just to get a vibe of what the town/district is like.

I would highly recommend joining one. You'll get a lot of good insight into how "the moms" react to everyday situations in town (i.e. things going on in the town that outsiders might not know about). This should give you a "real" view of what is really happening.

And just what your realtor wants you to hear...

Old 06-12-2020, 11:27 AM

1,165 posts, read 689,672 times
Quote:

One of the Dobbs Ferry main facebook groups was recently shut down after people started fighting about BLM...
I'd take these groups with a grain of salt as 99% of the posts are people complaining about things or fighting over politics. Granted there are a lot of miserable folks out there, but I feel like they all congregate to express their complaints and political views on Facebook groups which can give an overly negative impression of the towns in general.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:07 PM

428 posts, read 232,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
One of the Dobbs Ferry main facebook groups was recently shut down after people started fighting about BLM...
I'd take these groups with a grain of salt as 99% of the posts are people complaining about things or fighting over politics. Granted there are a lot of miserable folks out there, but I feel like they all congregate to express their complaints and political views on Facebook groups which can give an overly negative impression of the towns in general.
I agree that you should take the groups with a grain of salt but it does give an added data point to how the people in the town are.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 PM

101 posts, read 55,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesman0715 View Post
Citylife666- Curious to hear about your home purchase experience in Eastchester. Were there a bunch of homes on the market to look at during your search? What about bidding wars? I am hoping to find a home there at some point later this year or early 2021. Price range is below $1MM and targeting $900k if possible. I have to sell my apartment in NYC first so that is going to dictate when we can start making offers.

Best of luck with your move.
Hey, thank you. So in terms of 'bunch of houses'. I will be honest, we really did not look in Eastchester that much. There was a house in Larchmont we considered but eventually decided not to go with it because the location was off. And there was this beautiful relatively new house in Eastchester that we saw pre COVID 19 that was way above our budget (also in terms of taxes) that we saw just because. Well, so we ended up getting that house because the seller dropped the price right in the middle of everything being closed and no showings were allowed. We made an offer and eventually they agreed on the price. So I did not get to experience the whole hype and bidding wars. I will tell you we ended up buying within your budget (instead of the planned 750-800K) . Based on what I saw in comps, there were houses significantly less that sold for the same price or above. I am still not sure, maybe there is somthing wrong with the house I am getting... but the location you could not beat (walking to the train) and it was relatively new vs Larchmont's 1920-1950 constructions... It all happened quickly, but I think I am happy with my decision even though like I said we went over my budget. And the budget is not even that big of a deal, to be honest, but those taxes are. I hope to adjust my taxes based on the sale price because currently it is also overassessed at over 1MM.
I will tell you though there were A LOT of bidding wars in Larchmont. Yes, I think it is nicer in terms of walking and the downtown is super nice! However, for 750-850 you get a really fixer upper house (nothing wrong just need to dump another 100K to make it nice) or it will be super small (I live in a tiny apt myself but I still consider 1600sq ft house too tiny). So I decided ok I will get a bigger more expensive house but at least it checks off all my boxes vs. having a tiny house in Larchmont and paying a less.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:

You know I already read somewhere that Eastchester is somewhat on a conservative side. I personally don't care about people's political views, unless they are into my face. I am also from Eastern Europe and I may have a different mentality of not being on a side of any specific party. I lived in a very liberal part of Bk and some of the local posters would annoy me lol. Then I am also part of my local community which is pretty conservative and they would annoy me too. My best friend #1 is liberal and is Hispanic, my best friend #2 is a Jersey Italian and is very conservative. Somehow I can get along with both . Is there anything specific you think would be a problem living in a community like that? We do not post banners, flags or any other things to identify ourselves with a certain party... Having said that I would not want to have those 'global warming is fake' conversations with my neighbors (some things I am just too passionate about!)

btw, I saw those local group posts too... I guess I will just pick whoever is somewhat close to my views and block everyone else lol.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I agree with you! I also think Westchester is still overall very liberal. I am ok with everyone as long as they are not crazy right or crazy left...

Old 06-15-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia1980 View Post
I cant even express how much i appreciate your feed back. and our situation mirrors yours to a T.

Our budget was initially 750-800K ( last year). We quickly realized that this budget was laughable so we upped it to 900k- max. Since there are no open houses right now, we are working with a realtor. Also viewing the Tudors that we love architecturally, but all the angles, arches and low ceilings make it a no-go for us. And just like you said, houses are scooped up immediately. Its good to know that that was the case last year as well and does not mean that there's now a mass exodus from city into suburbs.

My daughter is going into fifth grade in PS, so in theory we can wait another year (so she can finish elementary school) . My son is going to first grade so its not a big deal if he does 1st grade in NYC PS and then we transfer him. But i m very hopeful that we can make the move this summer. We just dont want to jump on the first house that doesnt have a bidding war.

Eastchester sounds promising. We also visited Pleasantville. Was that a neighborhood you considered? Its much further from city, but much more affordable.
We did consider Pleasantville but I hated the idea of my kids being on a school bus and everything seems waay too spread out there (although they do have some nice restaurants downtown!). I saw one house there and one in Chappaqua and it was enough for me to realize it was too rural for me haha. Again, I do not think Eastchester is that much prettier or anything, I just really loved the house, it was a super short walk to the train, much shorter ride to GC, short walk to downtown (smallish but it is ok), short walk to school and I jumped on it. I also have a friend in Armonk and I think all those towns are too spread out, you constantly get deers in your backyard (that will eat everything lol) and there are ton of mosquitos. I may be wrong, some people love huge backyards and long driveways but I am more of a city person. I also liked the idea of Lake Isle in summer... I also want to say I love Bronxville, and it is a 5 mins drive from Eastchester so there are always places to go to! If you like Larchmont I do not think Pleasantville will appeal that much to you. But do not dismiss it if you see the right house! Do not be like me trying to buy for 2 years in Larchmont lol. Best of luck!!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 06-16-2020, 08:13 AM

2,880 posts, read 1,092,414 times
Quote:
your kids will likely be highly influenced by Italian American culture in school and by their friends.
WTH? Too much pizza?

In this case, stay far away from Yorktown with its three day Feast of San Gennaro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County