Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 4,079 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Family of four ( 2 kids- 10 and 6 Yr old) looking to move to Larchmont/Mamaroneck/Eastchester area in 2020/2021 (hopefully!)

Both of us (husband and I) work midtown (GCT area) and will be commuting 3-5 days/week. Work schedule is 9-5.

What do parents in similar situations do with children pre-9am and post-3pm? What are the after school options? (au pair not an option)?

Appreciate any feedback! Thank you

Last edited by Sofia1980; 06-05-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:05 PM

136 posts, read 132,796 times
Hi! I just bought in Eastchester but I looked into Larchmont (for years lol). I know for a fact the mamaroneck and larchmont schools have before and after school care for very reasonable $$. Join the larchmont parents group on fb and ask there. I think it’s called boys and girls club or something. For eastchester I have no clue since I actually decided to go with an pair (too much trouble when there are snow days or days off in general, spring breaks, etc). Good luck!

Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Thank you so much for replying!

- Larchmont is #1 choice for us (looking for a year now) but because of limited housing stock and the fact that decent homes (at decent price!) get scooped up before we even get a chance to see them, we decided to broaden our scope and explore Eastchester and Pelham areas.

The boys and girls club is a New Rochelle program, i believe, is that what you are referring to? joining a FB group is a good reason to RE-join FB

Do you mind sharing your experience in Eastchester so far? Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2020, 03:49 PM

@Sofia1980. We literally just closed and are moving at the end of this month. So no feedback on how much we like it, sorry. I am sure we will like it a lot though given we are in 870sq ft apt now with 2 kids. My older daughter will be in a 2nd grade but we aren’t relying on after case simply bc it was too difficult and we settled on au pair (and my parents for now on who are retired). Totally get it about Larchmont - we were in the same boat. I totally loved the town but the houses were just so small and old or not walkable to train (we both live in the city). Happy to share my experience once we actually move there lol. Best of luck! And yes about the after school, it is in new Rochelle but they come to all but the Rye Neck schools. Rye neck has its own after schools I’ve heard many good things about it but it it also expensive, around 700 a month. I just couldn’t get my head around it and eventually gave up! Eastchester provides bussing for elementary schools!

Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Sorry I mean we both work in the city. Multitasking!

Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback and congrats on your home!

We totally fell in love with Larchmont- the beautiful tree-lined street, walkability to everywhere, parks, etc.. Do you feel that Eastchester is comparable in that regard?

We briefly drove around Scarsdale (some parts of Eastchester) and didn't get the same vibe as Larchmont. But the school district is solid and it on train so we are optimistic we will find something we love...eventually

can you share what time schools start?

Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 PM

Haha I’m literally packing as we speak! My daughter is finishing school in NYC since our move day is June 27. I’m happy to update you once she starts school next year although that may be too late ((. Eastchester is definitely not the same as larchmont. We saw a great newer home and it was above our budget but the value was so much better than the 750-800K houses. It is also 10 mins walk to metro north. I figured this is a much better house (than anything we saw in larchmont in those 2 years!) and commute is amazing, close to middle and high schools too (walking 15 mins). So I figured it couldn’t be that bad. Can’t have it all. Larchmont had bidding wars. I went to multiple open houses that looked like an exhibition at a museum (that crowded) and then the house would sell that same weekend (go into contract). So we just stood no chance. Most houses were Tudor and many had bad insulation which meant more money for utility bills. I guess it was a trade off. I read so much on this forum, everyone loves larchmont/mamaroneck but we just had no luck. What’s your budget? I hope it works out for you!!

Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 AM

I cant even express how much i appreciate your feed back. and our situation mirrors yours to a T.

Our budget was initially 750-800K ( last year). We quickly realized that this budget was laughable so we upped it to 900k- max. Since there are no open houses right now, we are working with a realtor. Also viewing the Tudors that we love architecturally, but all the angles, arches and low ceilings make it a no-go for us. And just like you said, houses are scooped up immediately. Its good to know that that was the case last year as well and does not mean that there's now a mass exodus from city into suburbs.

My daughter is going into fifth grade in PS, so in theory we can wait another year (so she can finish elementary school) . My son is going to first grade so its not a big deal if he does 1st grade in NYC PS and then we transfer him. But i m very hopeful that we can make the move this summer. We just dont want to jump on the first house that doesnt have a bidding war.

Eastchester sounds promising. We also visited Pleasantville. Was that a neighborhood you considered? Its much further from city, but much more affordable.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 10,808 times
Citylife666- Curious to hear about your home purchase experience in Eastchester. Were there a bunch of homes on the market to look at during your search? What about bidding wars? I am hoping to find a home there at some point later this year or early 2021. Price range is below $1MM and targeting $900k if possible. I have to sell my apartment in NYC first so that is going to dictate when we can start making offers.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 AM

166 posts, read 175,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia1980 View Post
I cant even express how much i appreciate your feed back. and our situation mirrors yours to a T.

Our budget was initially 750-800K ( last year). We quickly realized that this budget was laughable so we upped it to 900k- max. Since there are no open houses right now, we are working with a realtor. Also viewing the Tudors that we love architecturally, but all the angles, arches and low ceilings make it a no-go for us. And just like you said, houses are scooped up immediately. Its good to know that that was the case last year as well and does not mean that there's now a mass exodus from city into suburbs.

My daughter is going into fifth grade in PS, so in theory we can wait another year (so she can finish elementary school) . My son is going to first grade so its not a big deal if he does 1st grade in NYC PS and then we transfer him. But i m very hopeful that we can make the move this summer. We just dont want to jump on the first house that doesnt have a bidding war.

Eastchester sounds promising. We also visited Pleasantville. Was that a neighborhood you considered? Its much further from city, but much more affordable.

Eastchester is a great community (i.e. very family oriented and education driven) and you will have access to Lake Isle (a town owned country club) which is a nice bonus as we move into the warmer months. And not to mention your budget will go much further in Eastchester than in Larchmont where that number is just a starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County