U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM

10,108 posts, read 16,215,148 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a 16 year old daughter. Her and her friends, all 16 and 17 want to go to a beach when it is supposed to be hot next week.

It looks like Glen Island is still closed as a COVID testing site (I would think with the numbers so down and so much testing going on elsewhere they could undo that now). Playland and even Croton beach seem to not be open on weekdays for another week, and two of these friends don't live in Westchester (my daughter goes to a private school and one of the friends lives in Riverdale and the other in Stamford) since I think you have to prove Westchester residency to go to them.

I used to play beach volleyball a lot at Oakland Beach in Rye and they don't seem too expensive for non-residents Monday to Thursday, especially since I would drop them off and not park/stay there. But I went by today and they told me if anyone under 17 is in the group (one of the friends, also my daughter doesn't turn 17 for a month), an adult over 25 needs to be with them and even if all were 17, they all need ID with proof of age (a couple of my daughter's friends have learners permits but she does not yet).

So I am looking to see if there are any other alternatives. At this point they'd be willing to go to Orchard Beach in the Bronx, but I don't think even with phase 2 on Monday they are going to allow swimming yet. which is a dealbreaker for them. Beaches in CT are usually even more expensive for non-residents, and I'm not sure the parents of the one who lives in Riverdale will be willing to go that far, but if there's a not-too-expensive option in Greenwich or Stamford, please let me know as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 01:38 PM

107 posts, read 98,781 times
Harbor Island Beach in Mamaroneck. Open to non residents after 1pm.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:11 PM

165 posts, read 98,045 times
[quote=7 Wishes;58425998]Hi, I have a 16 year old daughter. Her and her friends, all 16 and 17 want to go to a beach when it is supposed to be hot next week.

It looks like Glen Island is still closed as a COVID testing site (I would think with the numbers so down and so much testing going on elsewhere they could undo that now). Playland and even Croton beach seem to not be open on weekdays for another week, and two of these friends don't live in Westchester (my daughter goes to a private school and one of the friends lives in Riverdale and the other in Stamford) since I think you have to prove Westchester residency to go to them.

I used to play beach volleyball a lot at Oakland Beach in Rye and they don't seem too expensive for non-residents Monday to Thursday, especially since I would drop them off and not park/stay there. But I went by today and they told me if anyone under 17 is in the group (one of the friends, also my daughter doesn't turn 17 for a month), an adult over 25 needs to be with them and even if all were 17, they all need ID with proof of age (a couple of my daughter's friends have learners permits but she does not yet).

So I am looking to see if there are any other alternatives. At this point they'd be willing to go to Orchard Beach in the Bronx, but I don't think even with phase 2 on Monday they are going to allow swimming yet. which is a dealbreaker for them. Beaches in CT are usually even more expensive for non-residents, and I'm not sure the parents of the one who lives in Riverdale will be willing to go that far, but if there's a not-too-expensive option in Greenwich or Stamford, please let me know as well.[/quote]

Most of the beaches in CT are "residents only" (For now) the only one I can think of that is open to the public is Sherwood Island Park in Westport, CT (it's about 40 minutes from White Plains)

Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 PM

451 posts, read 628,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_what View Post
Harbor Island Beach in Mamaroneck. Open to non residents after 1pm.
Do you need to be a Westchester resident, or can any visitors use the beach after 1pm? The website doesn't say.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 PM

107 posts, read 98,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Do you need to be a Westchester resident, or can any visitors use the beach after 1pm? The website doesn't say.
Open to all. And prior to Covid there was no time restriction for non-residents.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:33 PM

1,167 posts, read 704,701 times
I am following this with interest as well, as it seems like many the Westchester/LI/CT beaches are all subject to some restrictions due to COVID, which is understandable and I doubt our pool in Dobbs is going to open this year.

It may be a bit too far to consider, but we did a day trip out to Asbury Park, NJ this weekend which has beautiful beaches and a boardwalk that are open to the public. For those interested in dog-friendly options, they are allowed on the beach before 8:30AM and after 6PM. It's about a hour drive in either direction with no traffic. Very clean, no major crowds (we were there in the morning) and people took the initiative to clean up after the dogs which was nice to see.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,466,144 times
Following this thread - I am also trying to plan a beach day for myself, a friend and his son in town for the summer. We live in Westchester (well his son doesn't, but don't think they'll ask a pre-teen for ID when one of the adults is clearly his parent lol). None of the Westchester beaches particularly excite me, but I guess would work as a last resort.

I've been following the CT beaches - their Twitter has been great about notifying followers when a parking lot is closed due to capacity. In my research I didn't see anything about the beaches only being open to CT residents. That would be understandable but a bummer since I had kind of decided on one of their beaches haha.

Asbury may be a good option (for my needs anyway). I've been there in the past and found it to be a lovely beach.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:02 AM

3,047 posts, read 1,196,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I grew up 20 minutes away from Sandy Hook, NJ. Asbury Park is a little further away. When we lived outside of Boston, we were 50 minutes from Cape Cod which has the nicest beaches on the east coast.

The one problem with Westchester is its distance from beaches.

Mammoneck is probably the nicest beach. The parking at the marina/beach clearly stated Mamaroneck residents only. It may have changed since a couple of weeks ago.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM

1,167 posts, read 704,701 times
We went to Sandy Hook 2 weekends in a row earlier this month and it was great, no traffic, parking available and no major crowds.

Fast forward to this weekend around 8AM traffic was backed up all the way over the bridge and about a mile or two before. We drove a little further south and were happy to find that Asbury Park was still relatively uncrowded with plentiful parking, but not sure how long that is going to last.

I'd love to know if there's anything closer but the general consensus seems to be that Westchester doesn't have a lot of (public) beach options.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,466,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I'd love to know if there's anything closer but the general consensus seems to be that Westchester doesn't have a lot of (public) beach options.
Probably debatable if Jones is closer or not, but definitely cheaper tolls wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County