Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 AM

71 posts, read 90,251 times

Advertisements

Hey Friends,

Anyone know a good Locksmith in Westchester County that can make copies of car keys? I have a 2007 Honda Civic that needs to be cut only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysoto11 View Post
Hey Friends,

Anyone know a good Locksmith in Westchester County that can make copies of car keys? I have a 2007 Honda Civic that needs to be cut only.
If you car key has a electronic opener/lock, it is extremely hard to find a locksmith willing to do it.

I've tried a couple and they refuse to consider it.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Awe, every locksmith can cut a key. And if it's a transponder key, they'll charge you another $89 to reflash the OBDII system on your car to change the security codes. My locksmith's house calls are an additional $89.

I think the Honda has a laser cut key. See if your documentation has a key code in it. Or check with the dealer's office if it's a relatively new vehicle to see if they have the key code in "the jacket."

Run your by any locksmith location and they'll take care of you. Some Batteries to Go locations also cut keys with the transponders.

I'm in trouble on a Jaguar key my daughter lost. It's called a Tibbe key, and it's used by some European brands. I've got to buy a tool that is used to figure out the code cut, and then find a locksmith with an 8 cut Tibbe key cutter. I could kill the girl for losing it.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:13 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If you car key has a electronic opener/lock, it is extremely hard to find a locksmith willing to do it.

I've tried a couple and they refuse to consider it.
So I learned something cool a few years ago. All american made cars that have keys with a chip that you can program yourself if you have one of the original programmed key from the manufacturer that you get when buying the car. So all you need is a blank key, get it cut by a key maker or locksmith, and an original programmed key fob.

You can buy almost any key on ebay. Some foreign carmaker key fobs require a special set to cut them, but there are usually locksmiths that have them. Anyway, assuming you buy the blank on ebay (or where ever) and get it cut, just google programming the key for the make and model you have. Fords and GMs are easy. My F150, it takes a minute or two. My wife's Honda took 20 minutes and it was like an exact timing sequence so if you missed a procedure by 10 seconds, you had to start over. VWs are a pain, but can be done. You just have to find the program online. It usually involves using the real key in the ignition, then switching it to the newly cut unprogrammed key, then following steps and timed actions with the unprogrammed key in the ignition. Like on the Ford it involved starting the car, removing the original key and putting in the cut blank, turning it to on and off a certain number of times for a set number of seconds. When its done, you start the car with the old key, and it locks in.

the only issue, on some cars this will not program the auto door unlock/lock or engine start mechanism, just make a new key that can lock and unlock doors and start the car and drive. For my F150, it did everything. For my jeep, we made extra copies, but they do not get programmed to use the remote functions. But you can lock or unlock to door and get in and use the key to drive. Not perfect, but it works.

Good luck to the original poster. I know it is tough. I used Peekskill Hardware to cut all my keys then they went out of business. Last time I did it with my jeep, I went to someone in Stony Point that a friend recommended but I cannot recall the name. It was a hardware store.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 AM

24 posts, read 39,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm in trouble on a Jaguar key my daughter lost. It's called a Tibbe key, and it's used by some European brands. I've got to buy a tool that is used to figure out the code cut, and then find a locksmith with an 8 cut Tibbe key cutter. I could kill the girl for losing it.
Check out keys4classics dot com out of Australia. Seems like a long way to go to get a key but they are good with email responses and can cut you keys from a picture. I own a mid 90s Jag as well. It's been five years since I dealt with them but their website is still up. Good luck.

On the modern (stupid) transponder keys (seriously, who is gonna steal my ten year old minivan?), any good hardware store can cut the key, and all have a way to re-set the security feature. It's usually something like turn the key on / off three times, pump the brakes and say three "hail maries," but it's doable if you take some like and look it up on the correct "enthusiasts' forum." It's simply a matter of finding the right blanks online with the right chip inside. I do believe you generally need TWO working keys to do this, at least on a Mazda, so if you have two go make copies right now and if you HAD two and lost one, you're kinda out of luck or pay up at the dealer.

I know at Berger Hardware they can cut the keys if you have the right blanks. Doing the programming is easy.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:25 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisical View Post
Check out keys4classics dot com out of Australia. Seems like a long way to go to get a key but they are good with email responses and can cut you keys from a picture. I own a mid 90s Jag as well. It's been five years since I dealt with them but their website is still up. Good luck.

On the modern (stupid) transponder keys (seriously, who is gonna steal my ten year old minivan?), any good hardware store can cut the key, and all have a way to re-set the security feature. It's usually something like turn the key on / off three times, pump the brakes and say three "hail maries," but it's doable if you take some like and look it up on the correct "enthusiasts' forum." It's simply a matter of finding the right blanks online with the right chip inside. I do believe you generally need TWO working keys to do this, at least on a Mazda, so if you have two go make copies right now and if you HAD two and lost one, you're kinda out of luck or pay up at the dealer.

I know at Berger Hardware they can cut the keys if you have the right blanks. Doing the programming is easy.
I forgot about the two keys. On my ford F150 we needed only one, but for the Jeep we did need two to program the blanks. Great point.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:40 PM

53 posts, read 49,055 times
I've had great success with KEY
They have kiosks all over the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County