Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 3,902 times

Advertisements

I commute from Larchmont to Woodbury. Morning is about 45 minutes and evening about an hour.

I previously lived on LI and couldn't wait to leave. I'm happy to be off the island, however, like anything else in life there are pros and cons to each.

You mention the east/west issue and getting anywhere from LI. That's true. The number of cars on the road is definitely higher on LI. The sticking point here is most major roads on LI are at least 2 lanes (and usually more). With the exception of Central Ave (comparable to Hempstead Tpke, I'd say), almost all roads are one lane. Get stuck behind someone moving at a snail's pace and you're going to be late. There are also fewer roads in general.

I'm also finding stores are more crowded in Westchester. For example, a trip to Home Depot took me 10 minutes on LI and takes me an hour here. There aren't as many shopping options, so that naturally brings more crowds. Things like grocery store checkouts, food delivery also take longer. Everything feels more congested. I've affectionately (sort of) started saying things run on Westchester time.

ETA At one point I commuted from south shore mid Nassau to north shore mid Suffolk and would say that commute was worse that Larchmont to Woodbury, but not sure if it's because there are fewer cars on the road now due to COVID. It SOUNDS easier (I guess because no bridge) but in reality, it was not.

Last edited by SuburbanJumper; 08-02-2020 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 11:28 AM

63 posts, read 86,418 times
I'm attempting to do this exact thing the OP says: Live in lower Westchester, commute to LI. In my research, cost of living should be much lower in the area I'm targeting (Yonkers) due to low taxes. However, I'm not looking at houses, but rather 1-2 bedroom apartments. Similar properties on LI, again just the research that I've done, puts taxes at more than double that of Westchester and purchase prices at least $30k higher and often much, much more.

I'm fortunate in that, if I ever start to work again, my commute would be off-hours, and the tolls tax-deductible. When I take those bridges at my usual times, there is no traffic going west (8-9pm earliest), and some going east (sometimes a slow south-bound bridge, always a wait to get the LIE from the CIP, 1-2pm, stop-and-go once you do get on the LIE; sometimes better to go for the NSP).

If you're looking for a house, you might want to consider Suffolk, although the taxes there, even in bad areas, are still astronomical. If an apartment is more your speed, I think Westchester is infinitely superior. At least in the market I'm looking at.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:47 PM

581 posts, read 1,300,131 times
You're tired of LI traffic
......so you want to move to Westchester and commute to LI ?
This is idiotic.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:02 PM

2,695 posts, read 2,306,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swelshbucket View Post
I'm attempting to do this exact thing the OP says: Live in lower Westchester, commute to LI. In my research, cost of living should be much lower in the area I'm targeting (Yonkers) due to low taxes. However, I'm not looking at houses, but rather 1-2 bedroom apartments. Similar properties on LI, again just the research that I've done, puts taxes at more than double that of Westchester and purchase prices at least $30k higher and often much, much more.

I'm fortunate in that, if I ever start to work again, my commute would be off-hours, and the tolls tax-deductible. When I take those bridges at my usual times, there is no traffic going west (8-9pm earliest), and some going east (sometimes a slow south-bound bridge, always a wait to get the LIE from the CIP, 1-2pm, stop-and-go once you do get on the LIE; sometimes better to go for the NSP).

If you're looking for a house, you might want to consider Suffolk, although the taxes there, even in bad areas, are still astronomical. If an apartment is more your speed, I think Westchester is infinitely superior. At least in the market I'm looking at.
Not really true about Suffolk. I live minutes from Nassau in a 3200k sq ft new construction home on what is a very small lot for my town (1/4 acre) My taxes are 15k w/ star and I live in a top tier SD. Westchester as a whole has way higher taxes than LI. More often than not, the bad areas have higher taxes than the nice ones. For an apt Westchester is prob cheaper as there are way more, LI has a very limited supply of condo and coops.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:44 AM

335 posts, read 353,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Not really true about Suffolk. I live minutes from Nassau in a 3200k sq ft new construction home on what is a very small lot for my town (1/4 acre) My taxes are 15k w/ star and I live in a top tier SD. Westchester as a whole has way higher taxes than LI. More often than not, the bad areas have higher taxes than the nice ones. For an apt Westchester is prob cheaper as there are way more, LI has a very limited supply of condo and coops.
That is very low. There is a 2100sqft home not too far from me on a 3,000 sqft lot (.06 acres). Their taxes are $13K.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:39 PM

57 posts, read 46,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanJumper View Post
I commute from Larchmont to Woodbury. Morning is about 45 minutes and evening about an hour.

I previously lived on LI and couldn't wait to leave. I'm happy to be off the island, however, like anything else in life there are pros and cons to each.

You mention the east/west issue and getting anywhere from LI. That's true. The number of cars on the road is definitely higher on LI. The sticking point here is most major roads on LI are at least 2 lanes (and usually more). With the exception of Central Ave (comparable to Hempstead Tpke, I'd say), almost all roads are one lane. Get stuck behind someone moving at a snail's pace and you're going to be late. There are also fewer roads in general.

I'm also finding stores are more crowded in Westchester. For example, a trip to Home Depot took me 10 minutes on LI and takes me an hour here. There aren't as many shopping options, so that naturally brings more crowds. Things like grocery store checkouts, food delivery also take longer. Everything feels more congested. I've affectionately (sort of) started saying things run on Westchester time.

ETA At one point I commuted from south shore mid Nassau to north shore mid Suffolk and would say that commute was worse that Larchmont to Woodbury, but not sure if it's because there are fewer cars on the road now due to COVID. It SOUNDS easier (I guess because no bridge) but in reality, it was not.
I know there's more of you out there who do this commute, good to hear from you too! One thing that Long Island probably has over most suburbs is the variety and quantity of big box type stores, among other services. I mean, there's like 50 Walgreens, CVS', gas stations, strip malls, Targets, Supermarkets, Dunkins, Starbucks, 7-11's, you name it, the convenience factor can't be beat. That would likely be sacrificed in Westchester, but once again, you are getting a quicker escape from the rat race/bottleneck of NYC/Long Island in return.

As for the roads, for all we rail against Long Island's parkways, and they certainly have their flaws, lower Westchester's, and it's feeder roads, as you mention, are on the average narrower, windier, and probably more prone to backing up at certain points, especially if stuck behind the proverbial slowpoke. The interchanges and exits seem to be more challenging and inadequate for current traffic flows, a la the Cross County, Sprain, Saw Mill, Huchinson River. I mean, many of these roads were designed almost a century ago, in all fairness, a different time that didn't foresee the population explosion that enveloped Long Island and Westchester. And in all honesty, even if they were designed now, with a clean slate, it would be difficult to overcome the geographic limitations of Long Island, the Bronx, and lower Westchester. But, for the fact of not residing on the Island, for the reasons I have listed earlier, other than living in the city, Westchester is really the only option for living if you are bound to the Island for work.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,626 times
Plenty of nature in Suffolk, more than most people know or take advantage of. Hiking, kayaking, water sports, ferries that help you off LI, mountain bike trails, rivers, wineries, library programs. I love Westchester, but commuting is real and Consuming. Learn the hidden gems of LI and ferry schedules, then decide your trade off.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:15 PM

596 posts, read 250,971 times
no

ur gas bill will kill u maintenance too both not fully covered by commuter benefits typically

Old 08-18-2020, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 3,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
I know there's more of you out there who do this commute, good to hear from you too! One thing that Long Island probably has over most suburbs is the variety and quantity of big box type stores, among other services. I mean, there's like 50 Walgreens, CVS', gas stations, strip malls, Targets, Supermarkets, Dunkins, Starbucks, 7-11's, you name it, the convenience factor can't be beat. That would likely be sacrificed in Westchester, but once again, you are getting a quicker escape from the rat race/bottleneck of NYC/Long Island in return.

As for the roads, for all we rail against Long Island's parkways, and they certainly have their flaws, lower Westchester's, and it's feeder roads, as you mention, are on the average narrower, windier, and probably more prone to backing up at certain points, especially if stuck behind the proverbial slowpoke. The interchanges and exits seem to be more challenging and inadequate for current traffic flows, a la the Cross County, Sprain, Saw Mill, Huchinson River. I mean, many of these roads were designed almost a century ago, in all fairness, a different time that didn't foresee the population explosion that enveloped Long Island and Westchester. And in all honesty, even if they were designed now, with a clean slate, it would be difficult to overcome the geographic limitations of Long Island, the Bronx, and lower Westchester. But, for the fact of not residing on the Island, for the reasons I have listed earlier, other than living in the city, Westchester is really the only option for living if you are bound to the Island for work.
All true. If LI is out of the question, then yes, Westchester is really the only other option.

I will say this though- I complained about LI all the years I lived there (I'm originally from the city). For us specifically, a dual income family who is constantly racing against the clock, LI wins out over Westchester. Those ugly strip malls are convenient and there seem to be more families with both parents working. We didn't have family on LI so it was a long drive off the island whenever we visited anyone, but our day to day was easier on LI.

No one was ever going to change my mind about moving to Westchester, so I get where you're coming from. But, I would be remiss to not share my experience now that I've lived in both places.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 2,306,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanJumper View Post
All true. If LI is out of the question, then yes, Westchester is really the only other option.

I will say this though- I complained about LI all the years I lived there (I'm originally from the city). For us specifically, a dual income family who is constantly racing against the clock, LI wins out over Westchester. Those ugly strip malls are convenient and there seem to be more families with both parents working. We didn't have family on LI so it was a long drive off the island whenever we visited anyone, but our day to day was easier on LI.

No one was ever going to change my mind about moving to Westchester, so I get where you're coming from. But, I would be remiss to not share my experience now that I've lived in both places.
This is why we love Very western Suffolk, larger homes on big lots and woods gives it a Westchester feel. It's never more than a 5 min drive to shopping centers etc. Still Commutable if you need to work in NYC. The More Central and North you are the shopping centers aren't to ugly. The south shore strip malls look like Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County