Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 PM

47 posts, read 193,509 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. All of the listing ads for Garth Road co-op sales or rentals say things like "free street parking," but there are a whole lot of buildings on that road and a very limited number of spaces. I have heard, from second hand sources, that if you live on Garth Road the parking is horrible because everything is first come first serve. Is this true? Is it really that bad? I have no interest in buying a co-op there and then having to drive around for an hour every time I need to park. And what about if you come home at 3am for some reason? Where do you park if there are no spaces left?

Any info about the parking situation on that road would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylove12 View Post
Hi everyone. All of the listing ads for Garth Road co-op sales or rentals say things like "free street parking," but there are a whole lot of buildings on that road and a very limited number of spaces. I have heard, from second hand sources, that if you live on Garth Road the parking is horrible because everything is first come first serve. Is this true? Is it really that bad? I have no interest in buying a co-op there and then having to drive around for an hour every time I need to park. And what about if you come home at 3am for some reason? Where do you park if there are no spaces left?

Any info about the parking situation on that road would be appreciated!
There is a large municipal lot between the railroad tracks and the buildings on the east side of the street. Speak to your realtor. I don't think it's a problem getting a space.

Also, some buildings have long waiting lists, some have short waiting lists and some have no parking at all.

Good luck, it's a great street!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 24,883 times
The south end of the street is easier then the North end but every resident gets a free permit for each car they own to park on Garth Road, Greyrock Road, Buckingham Pl, and the resident lot (south end of the lot between Greyrock and railroad) You can get a permit from the town of Eastchester to park in the commuter lot for about $50 a month, or try freightway garage for about $110 per month, or Scarsdale Commons may have some space available. The Kennilworth and Garth Essex have the shortest wait list. Garth road is not very long so you won't be walking to far or be driving around for an hour. We have three cars, our building does not have a garage and we are always able to find parking. Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM

124 posts, read 702,080 times
WestchesterChoice, do you know how far the walk from Freightway and Greyrock to the station, respectively? Thank you.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 PM

47 posts, read 193,509 times
Westchester Choice, if you had to leave at say, 10:00pm on a weekday to run to the store or something, would you feel like you'd never get a spot when you came back?

I love the area but the parking does worry me a bit.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 24,883 times
PEmom, The entire road is only 1/2 mile. That's from the Train staion to the entrance of Garth Road. Feightway is at the commercial end of Garth road just past the first residential building. The Commuter lock runs behind the residential buildings on the north end and runs about 1/2 down until it becomes the resident lot which continues past the ball field.

Puppylove12 You should still be able to find a spot the gym closes at 10 so spots open up around that area and you can also park at the meter spaces. They don't go into effect until 9:00am even thou they say 8:00am.

Another thing I alway suggest to people if they are concerned about parking is to drive in that area around the time you usally will be parking and see what it is like.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 18,823 times
Isn't the Freightway Municipal Lot on the Scarsdale side? Can Garth residents get a permit for it?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,638 times
I have to say parking is a nightmare in Garth Road. I live in the area for more than 10 years and everytime I come to visit my parents, I have a tough time finding parking after I get out of work around 5:30 pm. Saturdays is it hopeless, so I do not know why they say you can find spots. It is hit and miss. For the first time on Sunday, I saw about 15 free spots towards the end of Garth toward Garth Woods. An hour later they were gone around 2:00 pm. And for those who have more than two cars, it is very unfair they take over parking on the main road, Garth. The town of Eastchester should not allow 3 cars from the same address/family to park all of them in Garth but 2 and 3 should go by the train and just walk and give a chance to others.

Those who have more than one car, why don't you park in the municipal parking and pay the fee for that luxury? The parking there now is not cheap and Scarsdale charges more than 1,000 dollars a year with registration stipulations and parking.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM

274 posts, read 297,967 times
Iv been told those are nice. I know a friend of a friend who owns one and she has been trying to sell it for 5 years.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 21,453 times
I've lived here for 3 years and parking is awful! I'm thankful we are renting because I would never buy here because of it. The last thing you want to do when you get home from work is circle for 45 mins before finding parking. Sometimes it's a battle because everyone is looking for parking. All I want to do is go in and play with my daughter and it takes that much time away from that...it's extremely frustrating! It's residents only Mon-Fri 7am-9am. What is that about?!? I see people from the train parking in "resident parking" all the time because the timeframe for residents only is so small. Also the gym down on Greyrock takes all the spots for their valet parking in the morning when people leave for work and are still taking them the time people come home from work. Something needs to be done where parking in "resident spots" truly is for residents only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County