U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:35 PM

826 posts, read 2,147,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
I think you should definitely consider Larchmont/ Mamaroneck.
I was just thinking Larchmont too. It ticks all of your boxes. You could afford it, and you don't get a lot of land there anyways. Very walkable. People are open-minded generally. You just need to pounce if you see something you like. Nice houses in Larchmont tend to go in bidding wars the day they list.

The train isn't bad but it's still a long commute down to the financial district. And from Larchmont you may or may not get a seat. Mamaroneck seems to be the last stop where you can pretty much guarantee a seat (but not always).

I'd also look into Pelham. I don't know much about it but it'll have the best commute on the sound shore in Westchester.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:16 PM

36 posts, read 97,847 times
Thanks again everyone!

I currently have a 35 min commute, door-to-door, from our home in Brooklyn to FiDi. I have to say, I'm really not willing to do 2 hrs, so anywhere I would look would need to come in around the 1 hr mark tops. I'll admit that I have no idea if anywhere in Westchester presents that possibility...

Old 07-19-2020, 10:55 PM

424 posts, read 228,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopecouple View Post
Thanks again everyone!

I currently have a 35 min commute, door-to-door, from our home in Brooklyn to FiDi. I have to say, I'm really not willing to do 2 hrs, so anywhere I would look would need to come in around the 1 hr mark tops. I'll admit that I have no idea if anywhere in Westchester presents that possibility...
That’ll be tough, commuting downtown from GC to FIDI will be about 30 minutes or more.

The quickest train rides from Westchester are generally 30-35 minutes.

Pelham might work for you since it’s the closest to the city.

If you can add 15-30 minutes to your max commute, then Westchester would be a good fit for you.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:26 AM

51 posts, read 72,317 times
Ha! I'm in a similar situation to yours (except my budget is quite a bit lower!). I currently have a 35 minute commute door-to-door contemplating a move to Westchester. I'm assuming by your handle you live in Park Slope (my old hood). A lot of Park Slopers end up moving to Maplewood or South Orange, NJ when they're looking for more space or getting tired of playing the school game if you want to send your kids to public school. Very progressive suburb with many gay families. It's right outside of Newark, NJ. If you catch an express train you can get to Penn Station in about 35 minutes (and, yes, Penn Station is pretty gross, especially in the "Pit" where one waits for the NJ Transit trains. Another option would be to drive to Newark Penn Station, park and take the Path to World Trade Center. I believe Path runs relatively frequently compared to commuter trains.

The thing that I'm worried about is that all of the commuter trains will not be back to pre-Covid schedules as they're suffering financially. Services will inevitably end up being cut. This will probably happen for NYC subways as well. But at least they run more frequently. I get antsy when there's a 10 minute wait for a subway!

Old 07-21-2020, 01:34 PM

83 posts, read 66,351 times
I don't think you're going to find a reliable sub hour door to door to the financial district in Westchester. With a 10 minute walk and a 35 minute express train to grand central, I was typically around 1:15 to 1:45 all in and if you didn't time things right or the subway was delayed it could add a chunk. Right now a lot of the express trains have been cut so most commutes are 10-15 min slower.

The best possibility you'll find is probably Pelham (based on train times - but even on the old schedule that's still about 45 minutes of trains if they are on time not counting the transfer). I'd lean towards Hastings or Dobbs for probably the best lifestyle fit and only 5-10 minute slower commute.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM

1,165 posts, read 686,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
I don't think you're going to find a reliable sub hour door to door to the financial district in Westchester. With a 10 minute walk and a 35 minute express train to grand central, I was typically around 1:15 to 1:45 all in and if you didn't time things right or the subway was delayed it could add a chunk. Right now a lot of the express trains have been cut so most commutes are 10-15 min slower.

The best possibility you'll find is probably Pelham (based on train times - but even on the old schedule that's still about 45 minutes of trains if they are on time not counting the transfer). I'd lean towards Hastings or Dobbs for probably the best lifestyle fit and only 5-10 minute slower commute.
I completely agree. From Dobbs it's very close to 2 hours door-to-door to FiDi (WTC) under the best circumstances; the commute only gets longer when there are transit delays and there are plenty of points of failure in the process (local westchester traffic, Metro North delays, MTA delays).

In my opinion the best commutes downtown are going to be over on the Jersey side where you can take advantage of the ferry/PATH directly into WTC/downtown.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 97,847 times
Thanks all! I'm not able to live in NJ (I work for NYC). That and I wouldn't ever want to rely upon the tunnels under the Hudson... Too risky. We may wait it out and see what happens to prices in Brooklyn.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:44 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,080,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanikaicoconut View Post
If you catch an express train you can get to Penn Station in about 35 minutes (and, yes, Penn Station is pretty gross, especially in the "Pit" where one waits for the NJ Transit trains. Another option would be to drive to Newark Penn Station, park and take the Path to World Trade Center. I believe Path runs relatively frequently compared to commuter trains.
FYI, the post office building behind Penn Station will be transformed into a new Penn Station.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...w-penn-station

https://www.som.com/projects/moynihan_train_hall

It's about time!

Old 08-21-2020, 03:29 PM

1,165 posts, read 686,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
FYI, the post office building behind Penn Station will be transformed into a new Penn Station.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...w-penn-station

https://www.som.com/projects/moynihan_train_hall

It's about time!
I wish this were so, but the article copied above is from 2017 and it now appears that Facebook has signed a lease on the entire space. Too bad, because a new Penn Station is sorely needed.

https://gothamist.com/news/facebook-...ffice-building

Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,080,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I wish this were so, but the article copied above is from 2017 and it now appears that Facebook has signed a lease on the entire space. Too bad, because a new Penn Station is sorely needed.

https://gothamist.com/news/facebook-...ffice-building
There will be office space around the outer wings of the building. The only center of the building will be Penn Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County