Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 PM

127 posts, read 611,832 times

Advertisements

We're considering making an offer on a house in Scarsdale in the Heathcote area that is great EXCEPT that the basement is small and has low ceilings. We've always dreamed of having a nice large basement for all kinds hobbies. I've heard that sometimes people dig down to increase basement ceiling height or create a basement under an existing house.

Has anybody had any experience doing this? What's involved in finding out whether it can be done? Where do I start? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

506 posts, read 2,272,084 times
very difficult and can be very expensive.........it all depends on exesting foundation.......

Old 12-13-2008, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 32,142 times
Yes and it's backbreaking work! If you are having someone else do it it will cost a small fortune. Also if you go deeper you have to make sure you provide drains under the present foundation eithe inside or outside the house. Channel it so water goes into junction box's underneath floor or outside so it (the water flows away from the house!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM

701 posts, read 3,312,027 times
Consult with an engineer or an architect (which will cost you money in itself). In most cases, it's a very expensive if not impossible project. If you have land properly zoned, it's often more economical to just expand outward.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 PM

151 posts, read 603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
We're considering making an offer on a house in Scarsdale in the Heathcote area that is great EXCEPT that the basement is small and has low ceilings. We've always dreamed of having a nice large basement for all kinds hobbies. I've heard that sometimes people dig down to increase basement ceiling height or create a basement under an existing house.

Has anybody had any experience doing this? What's involved in finding out whether it can be done? Where do I start? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
I have specific experience doing this and will be doing another this summer for myself. It is very challenging, but everything is doable! If all you are looking to do is get extra headroom, it might just be easier to raise the building a foot or two rather than dig it out.

1) Depending on when this was built, you most likely have a footing sitting 4" under the existing floor. This will require you to step the wall in and around that footing.
2) Depending on how deep you plan to dig, you might have to put in a new footing. (I just did this and could show you some pics) Very difficult.
3) Cost of removing and then disposing of the existing concrete is very expensive.

This type of work is usually done where you will be adding an additional story onto the building and you need to beef up the footing. Or in a case where there is no real foundation or footing and you are bringing the building up to todays codes. Either option is expensive.

Lifting a building is also expensive, but aside from a few plumbing connections and electric connections, it is much easier to achieve. Up in Vermont, this is done all the time to install actual foundations under cabins that were built on slabs or the ground.

Hope this helps, and as already mentioned, you WILL want to speak to an engineer and contractor before you bid as very little of this money will come back to you once you are done.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:53 PM

151 posts, read 603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Consult with an engineer or an architect (which will cost you money in itself). In most cases, it's a very expensive if not impossible project. If you have land properly zoned, it's often more economical to just expand outward.
Havoc: NOTHING is Impossible!Mod cut: copyright violation
In case you are wondering. Thats a picture of the WORLD Islands man made in Dubai! For more "impossible" building feats look at: Dubai's World-Beating Buildings

Or visit youtube for a video of the Schubert Theater move:
YouTube - Moving the Schubert Theatre

So if your pockets are deep enough, Nothing is Impossible!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-19-2008 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
If you undermine your foundation your house will collapse as will the houses next door, assuming its a row house or townhouse. So get approval first and hire a professional.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 25,943 times
I am contemplating digging out a crawlspace next to a partially finished basement and will be below the concrete block foundation of the crawlspace. Can I come back three feet from the existing foundation and build another wall to support it. This area lost to the room area, then could be used as storage space.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,533,846 times
I raised a two story, 40 foot by 28 foot home 16 inches. To do this I used multiple jacks and blocking, then tore out the rock foundation and dug the entire basement down another 30 inch or so, installed plenty of drainage as mentioned above by Michael then subcontracted installation of the footer and 10" (as required by code on a two story) concrete foundation. The top 16" of foundation were block since you can't pour concrete all the way up to the sill plate. The contractor also installed plumbing through the floor for a bathroom to be installed later, put in 4" of stone and poured a new 4" 3,000 psi floor. I ended up with a beautiful dry lower level (no longer a basement). The plumbing, electrical and heating connections were minor compared to the rest of the job which took me two years to complete. I sold the house for a nice profit, but as others have said it is a major task. I agree with everything SLP247 has said above. You may want to print out his two posts and keep those points in mind. The architect or engineer and a fully insured contractor are a must unless you have done quite a bit of construction work. A healthy checkbook is also a neccessity. It won't be cheap! Of note is the waste for the bathroom needs to be pumped up since the sewage drain was 4 feet higher than the floor. I never did install it.
To Nathand - I have also dug out a small portion of another basement lower than the existing foundation. I left only 1 foot back and installed the new wall and backfilled betwen the new wall and earth with concrete so the existing foundation would not be undermined. It can be done, but you better know what you are doing. You certainly don't want the existing foundation to collapse and it may very well if you get lots of rain during the process.
The third I did was a smaller area 8 foot by 24 foot stting on a slab. I removed the slab and existing 3 block foundation (?) dug, jacked and brace, dug jacked and braced etc. Installed the drainage, stone, footer, foundation and floor. This small area was considerably easier.
Good luck to both of you.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,702,685 times
You want a good structural or foundation engineer and possibly one who has some knowledge of hydraulic/ground water issues in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County