Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 957 times

Advertisements

Hello ,
Thinking of moving to cross river with a family of five(young kiddos).Saw some houses on Zillow there,( near the river) but it’s a little bit weird to me that 4 are going for sale on the same street(Michelle estates) Does anybody know if there are any problems recently in that area? I saw that the sewer plant is nearby(behind schools) maybe the air/river stink that’s why people are trying to move? Is it a good neighborhood? Near mount kisco what other areas are good with great school system and good value houses to get without emptying the bank?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 06:38 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evit View Post
Hello ,
Thinking of moving to cross river with a family of five(young kiddos).Saw some houses on Zillow there,( near the river) but it’s a little bit weird to me that 4 are going for sale on the same street(Michelle estates) Does anybody know if there are any problems recently in that area? I saw that the sewer plant is nearby(behind schools) maybe the air/river stink that’s why people are trying to move? Is it a good neighborhood? Near mount kisco what other areas are good with great school system and good value houses to get without emptying the bank?
Thanks!
There are no great schools that you can get without "emptying the bank." But there are good schools that you can get inot for a fair price. Look north, Croton, Cortlandt, Yorktown ... Best of luck to you.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:50 AM

222 posts, read 540,739 times
I think the cheaper price is because those houses are far away from any towns or villages. Those are luxury homes, I couldn't imagine there being any weird smells from a plant or they wouldn't have been built in the first place.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:46 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
I think the cheaper price is because those houses are far away from any towns or villages. Those are luxury homes, I couldn't imagine there being any weird smells from a plant or they wouldn't have been built in the first place.
While I know nothing about this particular area or the smells, the lat statement, that:
"Those are luxury homes, I couldn't imagine there being any weird smells from a plant or they wouldn't have been built in the first place."
is sadly not based in fact at all. I have clients that bought luxury homes only to find out later that an environmental impact was missed in development and values were impacted. It sadly happens all over the country.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:16 AM

130 posts, read 179,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evit View Post
Hello ,
Thanks!
It's the property taxes. With Trump's 10k cap, everyone in this area is getting shafted big time. Many people were forced into selling their home because of it.

If you're thinking about buying something and paying more than 30k in property taxes, think again, because, come tax time, that 20k overage is going to irk you to no end.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:08 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
Only 10k of property tax is deductible now?

Old 09-02-2020, 07:28 AM

132 posts, read 170,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Only 10k of property tax is deductible now?
No it's worse than that, only $10k of state and local taxes can be deducted which includes income and property taxes. For anybody buying a home in Westchester you probably pay $10k or more in income taxes which means you don't get to deduct any of your property taxes.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:22 PM

136 posts, read 132,856 times
Oh please everyone in good parts of Westchester pays 20+ in taxes. I paid 14 in nyc and got nothing back for it. Unless you move Fl or Tx there’s nothing new about taxes in this area. Even where schools are bad and there’s no space

Old 09-04-2020, 10:28 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
While I know nothing about this particular area or the smells, the lat statement, that:
"Those are luxury homes, I couldn't imagine there being any weird smells from a plant or they wouldn't have been built in the first place."
is sadly not based in fact at all. I have clients that bought luxury homes only to find out later that an environmental impact was missed in development and values were impacted. It sadly happens all over the country.
This is correct. Luxury houses are often built on newly developed land. There is a reason that since the 1600s, no one has chosen to build on such land. If it's not weird smells, it could be water, land slides, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: