U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 2,749 times

Advertisements

Hi all I hope all is well and everyone is staying safe. I just have some question about a potential move. My wife and I are originally from NYC, But a few years ago moved to West Orange NJ. We loved the town and we were settled between SoMa and Montclair(win win). We eventually wanted to upgrade our home and the taxes were scary and ended up moving to the Montclair heights section of Clifton. Again we like where we live but my wife currently works in Tribeca, so she drives to the North East section of the Bronx for childcare and then commutes to Tribeca area for work. I currently work in Newark but have an office in NY in the Tribeca section as well. As we plan to expand our family were realizing NJ is no longer working for us. The tolls are one thing but the traffic is physically and mentally taxing. We are currently doing our homework on towns in Westchester. We have 700K max budget depending on the property tax bill of course. We are looking for a family friendly town, to grow old in, that is racially diverse and has good schools( schools do not have to be elite just safe and good). I am familiar with Northern Westchester(Yorktown, Cortlandt), which we love but the commute to Tribeca would not work for us. So Anything South of the Tappan Zee(Marrio Cuomo) bridge would be great. We love New Rochelle but are a bit skeptical on the schools, Same goes for White Plains. And the River Towns all seem to be outside of our budget or are major fixer uppers. Please any input would be Great we're just tired of moving and looking for the next stop to be last!! Thank you all
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 12:33 PM

799 posts, read 747,516 times
Montclair to NE Bronx to Tribeca? That doesn't sound like it makes sense; would you be changing childcare after moving or not?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:49 PM

424 posts, read 228,419 times
If you are working in Tribeca, wouldn't northeast NJ make sense?

You could take NJ Transit into Newark Penn Station or take the Path Train into the World Trade Center. From there walk/subway/cab/Citibike/etc. to your office in Tribeca.

Southern Westchester is very expensive and like you said, you're either going to get a smaller house and/or a fixer upper or the taxes will be high.

Pretty much anywhere in Southern Westchester could work. Remember that you will have to commute from Grand Central Station to Tribeca so you'll have to probably take the 4/5 to Union Square & then transfer to the N/R to City Hall area or you could transfer at 42nd Street for a West side subway such as the 2/3.

Off the top of my head, you could try the River Towns but you said you looked there already, Ardsley, Pelham, Eastchester, Tuckahoe, Rye Neck, Harrison, Mamaroneck, Rye Brook, Edgemont, Valhalla.

I wouldn't completely rule out New Rochelle or White Plains. The elementary/middle schools aren't an issue. The high schools might be an issue

Old 08-27-2020, 01:02 PM

103 posts, read 90,931 times
Check out Mamaroneck. Specifically homes zoned for Mamaroneck Ave Elementary. Very diverse, very good school. 700k budget is workable. Property taxes are low by Westchester standards (2%-ish). Just make sure the commute to Tribeca works for you.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 PM

@allanny13, It doesn't make sense but it is correct. We opted to have family take care of our child, Thus we travel from NJ to Northeast bronx for that service. Then commute with the 4 and 5 train down to City Hall and walk. Thus the move to Westchester will relieve most of traffic and tolls expenses were currently enduring.

@Dabaomb, it would make perfect sense if childcare was also in NJ. Which is not. are there any section of New Rochelle and White Plains to consider to stay away from ?

@what_the_what yes 2% in Westchester may be close to the to 4% in we were paying in WO. I will begin to look in Mamaroneck. I have read that in mamaroneck you can be zoned for 2 schools district how accurate is the information?

Old 08-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastStopisHome View Post
@allanny13, It doesn't make sense but it is correct. We opted to have family take care of our child, Thus we travel from NJ to Northeast bronx for that service. Then commute with the 4 and 5 train down to City Hall and walk. Thus the move to Westchester will relieve most of traffic and tolls expenses were currently enduring.

@Dabaomb, it would make perfect sense if childcare was also in NJ. Which is not. are there any section of New Rochelle and White Plains to consider to stay away from ?

@what_the_what yes 2% in Westchester may be close to the to 4% in we were paying in WO. I will begin to look in Mamaroneck. I have read that in mamaroneck you can be zoned for 2 schools district how accurate is the information?
Yes you need to ignore post office code and get familiar with school district boundary lines instead. Mamaroneck postal code might also be zoned for Rye Neck schools. I should have added that Rye Neck and Harrison schools might also fit your bill. Rye Neck property taxes are much higher though (3-3.5%). Harrison may lack the diversity you seek. Both should have properties in your price range and all the schools are good. In general they are all very nice areas.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:18 PM

@what_the_what I will keep Rye brook in mind. I just thought they were zoned for Port Chester schools in which I have no information on yet.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastStopisHome View Post
@what_the_what I will keep Rye brook in mind. I just thought they were zoned for Port Chester schools in which I have no information on yet.
Rye Neck, not Rye Brook. It's the school district located just north of Mamaroneck but south of Rye.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 9,104 times
How about Riverdale?

Old 08-27-2020, 10:48 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,080,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyandWendy View Post
How about Riverdale?
Your kids are only small for a short time. Why spend their childhood schlepping them around? It's only going to get seriously worse when they are involved in after school activities and sports. Who is going to drive them to lacross/baseball/soccer practice? Don't you want to attend their games? Who is going to drive them to piano or ballet lessons after school?

Just find a place close to your family/their daycare.

Riverdale has nice areas. Yonkers has nice areas too.

BTW, Rye Brook has its own school system. In the 1960's until 1972, Rye Brook sent its high school students to Port Chester Schools. In 1972, Port Chester kicked Rye Brooks students out. For a couple of years, Rye Brook students attended Valhalla high school until Rye Brook built its own high school

Last edited by YorktownGal; 08-27-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County