Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

40 posts, read 187,770 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I'm getting ready to make a move out of Manhattan. I am looking solely at 2 bedroom apartments. I've been exploring around in Westchester and really like the areas surrounding Bronxville and Scarsdale. I commute to lower Manhattan and would need to take the Metro North.

I went as far out as White Plains and didn't particularly like that town. Hartsdale appears rather bland. Scarsdale and Bronxville are both quite nice.

I wanted to ask for people's advice on reasonably affordable rentals within close proximity to these locations. In particular Fleetwood, Tuckahoe, and Crestwood. Can anyone tell me what I should know about those towns?

This weekend I plan to check out some towns off of the New Haven line as well (New Rochelle, Mamaroneck, Rye, Port chester) but I have a feeling I'll end up back in the Bronxville area when I move. My only requirement is reasonably close proximity to an Asian supermarket and some good drinking establishments. My fiancee is relocating from Japan and doesn't want to drive if she can avoid it. There's an Asian market in Hartsdale that she doesn't mind taking the train too but obviously we must be on the Harlem line for that to work.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM

Oh, I should note that the school districts don't concern me at all (no kids for a few more years).

Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

142 posts, read 961,462 times
What is your budget for a 2 bedroom??? Check out apts on Sagamore Rd in Bronxville village or try Bronxville PO- around Pondfield Rd West. You won't find many, if any rentals in Crestwood-pretty much all single family homes. If Bxville village or PO- (walking distance to Bronxville train- not Fleetwood) then try the "other" Bronxville PO- which is actually Fleetwood and you would use Fleetwood train. This is the more affordbale area, but less desireable. For Scarsdale- try Garth Rd- you will find plenty of rentals and right next to Scarsdale Village and train. It all depends on your budget. But- Bronxville is by far- the best village in Westchester, in my opinion.Best of Luck! We rented there for several years and I miss it!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
What is your budget for a 2 bedroom??? Check out apts on Sagamore Rd in Bronxville village or try Bronxville PO- around Pondfield Rd West. You won't find many, if any rentals in Crestwood-pretty much all single family homes. If Bxville village or PO- (walking distance to Bronxville train- not Fleetwood) then try the "other" Bronxville PO- which is actually Fleetwood and you would use Fleetwood train. This is the more affordbale area, but less desireable. For Scarsdale- try Garth Rd- you will find plenty of rentals and right next to Scarsdale Village and train. It all depends on your budget. But- Bronxville is by far- the best village in Westchester, in my opinion.Best of Luck! We rented there for several years and I miss it!
Most of the buildings on Garth Road are coops, so there are slim pickings. Definitely consider Fleetwood, which is part of Mount Vernon. There's pretty decent shopping, you can walk to the Fleetwood station, and your about a mile from downtown Bronxville. Rents will be much lower than Bronxville, which are outrageous. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM

I offered to pay $2000 but my fiancee wants no more than $1800. Does that change things? Thanks!

Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM

178 posts, read 667,490 times
You should definitely think about a co-op in Hartsdale. 1800 a month for 5 years is $108,000.

You could find something in the 250 K range.
All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Kevin O'Shea

Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrltr View Post
You should definitely think about a co-op in Hartsdale. 1800 a month for 5 years is $108,000.

You could find something in the 250 K range.
All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Kevin O'Shea
Down payment... down payment

Old 06-08-2008, 04:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
All of the suggestions so far have been pretty good.

As an aside that walk from the Hartsdale train station to the Asian grocery on Central Ave is quite the long hike to be carrying groceries around. Near there, there are also 2 other Asian groceries on Central Ave (one is Korean, the other is Chinese).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County