U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 01:37 PM

108 posts, read 104,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Harbor Heights is somewhat removed and far from Mamaroneck/Larchmont villages. Students are bused to Hommocks and the high school. I often wonder why it is zoned for Mamaroneck schools when it is closer to Harrison and White Plains. There are few Jewish families in Harbor Heights. The OP was looking for a community with many Jewish families and Mamaroneck Ave school is primarily Hispanic families. Would not fit the bill. Yes, agree parts of Harrison might fit the bill.
There's lots of Jewish families at Mamaroneck Ave, and Hispanics, and other backgrounds. Properly diverse if that's what OP is looking for.

FYI for OP: Westchester Jewish Center (in Mamaroneck) and Larchmont Temple are the main synagogues in the area. Plenty of secular Jews are involved in those communities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM

235 posts, read 150,115 times
You should look in New Rochelle. Area between Beth El and Young Israel. Close to William Ward and Albert Leonard. Both schools are fine, despite less than stellar ratings.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 553 times
What did you end up settling on?

Old Today, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 1,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk118 View Post
What did you end up settling on?
Even increasing our budget to $800k+, we couldn't find anything affordable in Westchester, so we turned to Union County in New Jersey instead.

Old Today, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 553 times
Default You like it there?

I have a lot of family in the Westfield area, nice spot. I’m finding 800 gets you a big project.

Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I have a lot of family in the Westfield area, nice spot. I’m finding 800 gets you a big project.
Westfield is exactly where we landed. We've been in Brooklyn for almost 15 years, and it was a perfect fit for us, despite a bit farther from family than we'd hoped. No kids yet, but that's the plan. We were able to get something fairly turnkey in the $850k range all-in. We could have afforded something bigger in the $1m range, but didn't feel it was necessary to go that high.

We wanted Westchester because my office is convenient to Grand Central, but couldn't find anything affordable, especially the outrageous taxes. Taxes in the nice New Jersey towns are sometimes close to half the cost of Westchester taxes.

Closest we came to Westchester were the less expensive areas of Mamaroneck, or further north in Croton or even Chappaqua. We looked at the so-called "Rivertowns" of Hastings, Tarrytown, and Dobbs Ferry, which are apparently popular for Brooklynites, but they felt a too small and a bit exclusive.

Old Today, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 553 times
Very interesting. I’m under the impression Westfield taxes are very high. Your saying 850K house in Westfield taxes are much lower then say Harrison or Rye at the same price? Maybe Westchester is more but how much are we talking? I’m not a fan of the river towns. Chappaqua is nice just a bit far

Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. I’m under the impression Westfield taxes are very high. Your saying 850K house in Westfield taxes are much lower then say Harrison or Rye at the same price? Maybe Westchester is more but how much are we talking? I’m not a fan of the river towns. Chappaqua is nice just a bit far
We are paying nearly $10k/year less in taxes than we would on a comparable house in some Westchester towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County