U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 3,769 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are looking to move from Brooklyn to either Westchester or New Jersey (I am leaving a similar note in the NJ forum), and are hoping for some guidance and what towns we should look at. I am from Long Island, and she is from Connecticut, and both of those are a no-go.

We don't have a kid (yet), but are looking for a mostly culturally Jewish community that goes to temple on the high holidays, has a Passover seder, and won't blink if we mention we're sending our kid to sleepaway camp and/or Hebrew school. If you're Jewish, you know the kind of Jewish I'm talking about.

Some other things we're looking for:

- A combination of a small-town feel with mom & pop shops + big box stores and stuff like Whole Foods
- NOT a place where the majority of commuters to the city work in finance, are bigtime lawyers, etc. We're in creative marketing and PR jobs (and do fine), but don't want to feel like the poor family in town.
- A more liberal town would be nice, but not Bernie-bro style liberals
- Not too small, ~150 kids in a graduating class is likely too small
- Good schools, and access to a good amenities like a public pool complex and nice library
- an hour and 15 min on Metro-North is our hard limit, but would prefer to keep it to an hour

Our budget: $600-700K for a 3BR, 2 bath. $750K may be ok, but would need to be completely turnkey for that price. We know the market is bananas right now, but are only identifying towns now. And won't be looking for houses in earnest for at least another 6 months, and hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then.

So far in Westchester, we've been guided to: Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye Brook, and Rye Neck. What are the key differences between these towns?

We've been told places like Ardsley/Hartsdale and "the river towns" are out of our price range, and the Bronxville/Tuckahoe/Eastchester may not be the vibe we're looking. Does that sound right?

Is there anything we're leaving out? Maybe the Pleasantville/Valhalla area?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 PM

346 posts, read 295,562 times
You won't find anything in Larchmont/Mamk for 700k, but sounds like it could be a good fit (other than the price range)...the average price house in Larchmont is well over a million, and the single family homes in Mamaroneck, especially in highly Jewish neighborhoods, like Orienta, will be well over a million, too....you might be able to find something in Rye Neck (will not be turn key) , but the school district is very small. Rye Brook with Blind Brook schools is predominantly Jewish, but again, you will be hard pressed to find anything decent in your price range and it is full of lawyers and finance people. There are very few Jewish families in Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Bronxville. You could find something in your price range in Ardsley, but not much of a small-town feel (no real town center/main street). I would check out the rivertowns of Dobbs Ferry and Hastings. You will not find anything in any of the above towns, turnkey for 750k. This is lower Westchester, $$$$.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:40 AM

46 posts, read 42,132 times
For your budget, I think you will have to consider northern Westchester (perhaps Katonah or Mt. Kisco might be nice for you, but I can't speak to the religious communities). Katonah and Mt. Kisco are pushing your upper limits on the train as will other areas of northern Westchester. You also may find communities that have a nice small town feel but you may have to travel to a neighboring town to get big box stores. If you work in the city, be sure to take into account the time to get to your office from Grand Central - makes a big difference when you add that to the train ride.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:55 AM

835 posts, read 2,213,888 times
I don't think you're going to find anything turnkey for $750 in any of these towns in lower Westchester. They fit your criteria, just not your budget. If you do find something, the house won't be in the kind of neighborhood you're looking for. You're going to have to look north if you want to be in Westchester.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:52 PM

112 posts, read 115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
I don't think you're going to find anything turnkey for $750 in any of these towns in lower Westchester. They fit your criteria, just not your budget. If you do find something, the house won't be in the kind of neighborhood you're looking for. You're going to have to look north if you want to be in Westchester.
I think it can be done. The Harbor Heights section of Mamaroneck has homes in that range. Many homes zoned for Mamaroneck Ave Elementary could be in that range. Also part of Harrison, and Rye Neck (but OP may not like the smaller school size).

Check sales that closed in the last year for those areas for an idea. There's not much inventory right now.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:53 PM

3,323 posts, read 1,439,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
I am not Jewish but, Yorktown seems to have a nice Temple on 202. Yorktown Jewish Center

Yorktown Pastry Shop does have a large business for Jewish breads/pastries for the Holidays.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:13 AM

601 posts, read 364,543 times
This older thread from 2014 will give you a good rundown of Jewish communities within Westchester.

//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...mmunities.html

Your limiting factor will be your budget. Southern Westchester is very expensive. You will more likely find what you are looking for in New Jersey or Northern Westchester.

1) Scarsdale - will be hard finding a house in the $700k range but it's possible
2) Rye Brook - very large Jewish population; there are town houses and even some single family homes in your price range
3) Armonk - I don't know a lot about this but you get more land and will likely drive to North White Plains to commute into the city
4) Northern New Rochelle (close to Scarsdale) - great houses in your price range here with a very large Jewish population. The Elementary & Middle Schools are very good, however, you might consider private schools for your kids when they enter high school
5) Larchmont - very mixed community and probably the most sought after community in Westchester, bidding wars on almost everything, especially anything in your price range if it comes up.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM

1,170 posts, read 745,287 times
Dobbs Ferry/Tarrytown/Hastings in Lower Westchester has a pretty vibrant Jewish community and you'd likely find it to be a convenient place to live with a 35-40 minute commute into GCT. There's a good mix of apartments, condos smaller single family homes and high value properties but the town itself feels relatively grounded. I've lived in Dobbs Ferry for 5 years (in a townhome no less) and haven't yet gotten an inclination of people being stuck up, but that's just my own experience and may not reflect that of the landed gentry in the area.

Since you didn't mention anything about size, yes it is possible to find a home here in your stated price range, but the tradeoff (as you probably are already aware) is going to be in terms of either condition or size.

Here's a fairly standard example of the single family housing stock available here now in the low-to-mid 700's:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...33019329_zpid/

Do ignore some of the crazy pricing, people seem to be testing the market demand at the moment so I have seen things listed well above what they would actually sell for in a "normal" year.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:18 PM

37 posts, read 43,317 times
I am Jewish and in Eastchester...a lot more of us moving here, think its changing slowly but yeah nothing like scarsdale or anything. PM if you want some more insight.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:55 AM

346 posts, read 295,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_what View Post
I think it can be done. The Harbor Heights section of Mamaroneck has homes in that range. Many homes zoned for Mamaroneck Ave Elementary could be in that range. Also part of Harrison, and Rye Neck (but OP may not like the smaller school size).

Check sales that closed in the last year for those areas for an idea. There's not much inventory right now.

Harbor Heights is somewhat removed and far from Mamaroneck/Larchmont villages. Students are bused to Hommocks and the high school. I often wonder why it is zoned for Mamaroneck schools when it is closer to Harrison and White Plains. There are few Jewish families in Harbor Heights. The OP was looking for a community with many Jewish families and Mamaroneck Ave school is primarily Hispanic families. Would not fit the bill. Yes, agree parts of Harrison might fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County