Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 09:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyObserver View Post
Thanks for the info. Does Armonk have a train station? I've heard that it doesn't, which would be a real bummer, since, as you mentioned, there are some great homes there for the value.
It does not, you have to drive to the north white station it’s a 10 min drive. I have friends in armonk, the train is close enough.

As I mentioned in a earlier post if your not deadset on Westchester. Cold spring harbor is an amazing place. You have woods, water, downtown and a train station. It’s not cheap but has good taxes. You can feel like your upstate ny in your backyard, and 5 min later be downtown on the water or at the train headed to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 AM

29 posts, read 33,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Here is a search for
Under $2mm
4000 sq ft or more
2+ acres

See anything you might consider?

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/3611...0p_sqft/2p_ls/
A lot of those homes are palatial and very nice, only problem I see is in the high taxes.

When it comes to Westchester, I think I'm going to narrow it down to Bedford, Katonah, and Pound Ridge. Taxes seem lower in those towns and there's more bang for the buck in terms of the homes themselves.

I'm also considering going over the border to Connecticut. I've done some research and I think I'll throw New Canaan into the mix.

How do these towns (Bedford, Katonah, PR, NC) compare?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:21 PM

136 posts, read 132,950 times
If you want 2 acres and 20-40 in taxes you need to look somewhere else. My taxes are in the middle of that range and I don’t even have 0.5 acres lol. You prob need to look at houses close to 1MM to fit into those taxes. A nice 5K sq ft house in Armonk will be around 50K in taxes and forget it about anything in the lower zone. You may want to consider CT. Properties are more expensive but lower taxes.
Depending on where you live in Armonk it could be close to 20 mins drive to metro north. Also it’s like living in the middle of nowhere. But some people like that. Good luck

Old 10-11-2020, 08:45 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times
I think Mighty should examine his requirements.
Do you really need the difference between 2 acres and 5 acres?
Do you really need the difference between 3000 sqft and 5000 sqft?
I would focus on LOCATION, and then "settle" for the house you can afford.
Any house over $1mm is going be more than anything a human needs.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 AM

136 posts, read 132,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
I think Mighty should examine his requirements.
Do you really need the difference between 2 acres and 5 acres?
Do you really need the difference between 3000 sqft and 5000 sqft?
I would focus on LOCATION, and then "settle" for the house you can afford.
Any house over $1mm is going be more than anything a human needs.
Totally agree with you. Unless you are so much into gardening you plan to do greenhouses and rose alleys in your backyard I cannot imagine a use for even 2 acres of land (and I am so much into gardening! Lol). But to each their own. I would definitely choose location over that useless space.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:35 AM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
If you want low taxes, CT is likely a better option. If you haven't asked in the CT forum already, it's worth it to do so.

The lowest property tax rate in Westchester is ~1.6 - 1.7% of assessed value in Rye City. However, you won't find what you are looking for in your price range in Rye City. Most other places are 2%+ and many are 3%+ in Westchester.

In CT, you'll find some areas like Greenwich with sub 1% property tax rates.

In terms of Westchester, for house size and property size requirements in your budget, you'll likely have to look at Northern Westchester. Your choices of Bedford, Katonah & Pound Ridge all make sense. As another poster mentioned, Armonk has some houses with your criteria as well. Just scanning the listings, Yorktown has some houses well.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-12-2020, 06:44 PM

29 posts, read 33,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylife666 View Post
Totally agree with you. Unless you are so much into gardening you plan to do greenhouses and rose alleys in your backyard I cannot imagine a use for even 2 acres of land (and I am so much into gardening! Lol). But to each their own. I would definitely choose location over that useless space.
Over the last few months I've expanded my budget to accommodate both location and size. The reason I need the space is to potentially house family in the future, and also because I like the prospect of living large after being in the city for years. I do agree that a smaller house in a good location is better than a larger house in a poor location. Having said that, I'm trying to accomplish both, but I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few miles extra to the city for more space. That's why I'm not considering southern Westchester towns like Bronxville and Scarsdale (well, they also bleed you dry on taxes, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County