U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 08:39 PM

12 posts, read 18,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my family and I are looking to purchase a home in the spring for less then 700k. I see that the majority of the towns have great schools, but a majority of the towns also have very high taxes. We are looking for a town with a community feel, with super markets close by, and some shopping centers, great schools, a town with young families with children who play outside, a town with a good recreation department, a town that offers "family fun days" or holiday activities, a town that has a pool we may join, a town with a great police force and great snow removal services, a town with friendly people, a town that is not so big that we won't know anyone or my kid will get lost in the shuffle at school, but not a town so small that everyone knows your business, a town with reasonable taxes, some towns have takes as high at 18k for a little ranch I see. I'd love a house on a block with a sidewalk, what towns have sidewalks? I know many of the towns are very very affluent, I do not want to be in a community where I have the pressure of "keeping up with the Joneses" I have one child with an IEP, who gets OT, PT and Speech, I would need a town with a strong special needs program. DOES THIS PLACE EXIST???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 07:06 AM

1,434 posts, read 473,040 times
Do you have any geographical limitations due to work or commuting?

Old 10-27-2020, 07:53 AM

945 posts, read 953,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona386 View Post
Hello everyone, my family and I are looking to purchase a home in the spring for less then 700k. I see that the majority of the towns have great schools, but a majority of the towns also have very high taxes. We are looking for a town with a community feel, with super markets close by, and some shopping centers, great schools, a town with young families with children who play outside, a town with a good recreation department, a town that offers "family fun days" or holiday activities, a town that has a pool we may join, a town with a great police force and great snow removal services, a town with friendly people, a town that is not so big that we won't know anyone or my kid will get lost in the shuffle at school, but not a town so small that everyone knows your business, a town with reasonable taxes, some towns have takes as high at 18k for a little ranch I see. I'd love a house on a block with a sidewalk, what towns have sidewalks? I know many of the towns are very very affluent, I do not want to be in a community where I have the pressure of "keeping up with the Joneses" I have one child with an IEP, who gets OT, PT and Speech, I would need a town with a strong special needs program. DOES THIS PLACE EXIST???
Croton, Cortlandt, Yorktown, maybe Somers.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:19 AM

1,434 posts, read 473,040 times
Quote:
You've also posted this on the New Jersey board. Are you circling NYC? Do you have a preference of NY or NJ?

Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM

work from home.

originally from NY, live in NJ now, need to move deciding on coming back to NY or staying in NJ

Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM

424 posts, read 228,419 times
Quote:
work from home.

originally from NY, live in NJ now, need to move deciding on coming back to NY or staying in NJ
In general, Southern Westchester is very expensive. $700k is towards the low end in most school districts there. Also, taxes are very high (on average 3% of assessed value). You might have some luck in Mamaroneck, Eastchester, Tuckahoe, Ardsley, River Towns, Rye Brook, Rye Neck, White Plains, etc.

If you are willing to look in Northern Westchester, you can likely find better deals.

Many places in NJ are cheaper than Westchester and have much better value if you don't need to commute into NYC regularly.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:14 PM

230 posts, read 137,397 times
NJ is better than NY.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:58 AM

718 posts, read 728,236 times
If you work from home, then buying in lower Westchester seems foolish. You pay a huge premium for commuting proximity. I would maybe look at certain places out west in NJ. Like western Morris County, etc. Great deals and great places to live.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:46 PM

1,165 posts, read 686,665 times
I'd suggest avoiding Westchester and parts of Northern NJ and Western LI if you don't want to pay ridiculous property taxes. NJ is going to get you more for your $ strictly speaking, though. Westchester makes more sense for the frequent commuter into Grand Central, if you don't need that convenience then I'd suggest NJ.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:35 AM

Thank you so much everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County