U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM

114 posts, read 512,587 times

Advertisements

I lived at 125 Lake Street for ten years - moved out a couple of years ago. I never minded the place. I used to walk home every night for the first seven months of living there. I only got a car because I hated walking home, late at night, when it's cold, snowing and some of the sidewalks were still icy.

The building had its issues, mainly with the smell of curry fuming the hallways - not being racist, just being honest. There were also roaches. I HATE roaches!! It was because of them that I rarely used my kitchen and hated to go in there. I also ate out often because of it.

My girlfriend, now-wife, hated the place. She said it smelled (I guess I had gotten used to it) and wouldn't tolerate the sight of roaches. (When I moved in with her, she put all of my stuff in quarantine, basically, until she was certain none of them made it into my moving boxes.)

I have a friend of mine that now lives there and he says its fine. When I first moved there in 1998, it was the cheapest rent that I could find that was in an actual apartment building and not in a multi-family home. I had a few co-workers that lived there too, but they all hated it and didn't live there for long.

Parking stinks though. If you have guests over, they are at the mercy of the same rules of White Plains on-street parking. No parking between 2a and 6a, and during the weekdays, two hour parking between 9a and 6p. It may have changed since I've been there... You can call the WP Police and tell them you have an overnight guest staying, and give them the car make and plate number. Even still, my wife would still get a ticket a third of the time, to which we'd either have to call them to have it voided or, in the case a few times, we had to go to the court house and have it voided there. One time they took down her plate number wrong (one character off) and wrote her a ticket.

We didn't have to pay the tickets, but it was still a hassle to get them voided.

Last edited by RadioGuy93; 04-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: spell-check
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,912,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarbie27 View Post
I've lived on Lake Street for 12 years, and I can honestly say that nothing bad has ever happened. I've also walked home several times by myself, since I was 10 years old, and arrived home safely. But I do agree on some of what the others are saying, South Kensico isn't bad at all, but North Kensico? yes that one is a "stay away" street. Although, I know almost everyone who live and hang out on that street, so therefore, me as a young lady can walk up or down that street, at any time, and arrive to my destination safely.

P.S. There is NOTHING wrong with living in a subsidized housing building, I love it actually, with this economy? I'm eligible to pay low rent, and live in a comfortable and beautiful apartment. Everyone in my building are friendly. The environment is positively marvelous. My building also has a computer center down stairs, for kids to enjoy doing their homeworks, and helping others. The community also provide field trips to amazing places, mostly for kids, and parents can tag along also.

So please if you don't know the real details on the lake street area, then please don't say rude comments about the community.
I have a good idea of which building you live in, but I won't blow your spot!

I know a few people who hang out on North Kensico as well, you got some good people over there but there are some serious quality of life issues going on in one part of the street. If your minding your business you'll have no probably, most people on this board won't be walking that way or on Hall avenue on foot but to those of us who do its no big deal at all.

I didn't grow up on Lake, but your absolutely right about nothing in particular occurring over there.

as for 125 Lake, yea this guy is spot on when he speaks about that building having some roach problems. I haven't been in the building in years but I had friends who lived in there when I was growing up and I got a few stories but hey if you live in an apt building you should expect to see a few here and there (esp if you don't clean up after yourself, or have neighbors who don't).

Old 07-06-2013, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 34,091 times
Default Any updates?

So it's been several years since this thread started--any changes since then? I visited and it looked decent enough, with many places in walking distance. A few buildings looked new also. Are there better places in White Plains in the same price range? Is it safe to walk home from the metro north station late at night?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM

308 posts, read 299,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
So it's been several years since this thread started--any changes since then? I visited and it looked decent enough, with many places in walking distance. A few buildings looked new also. Are there better places in White Plains in the same price range? Is it safe to walk home from the metro north station late at night?
Ive been at 7 Lake St for 5 years now and its a perfect location. Can walk to train, can walk into town.

I work in the city and to me, its a nice break to come home to. There are so many trains that leave WP that go express into GC you're practically living there.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 34,091 times
Good to hear. White Plains is smaller than the upstate cities, but downtown has far more residents and activity. Trip (or anybody else reading), do you have a comparison between the Lake St residences and the ones on Barker and Martine Aves? The latter seem to be even more convenient location-wise, though I'm guessing there is more traffic noise also.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM

308 posts, read 299,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Good to hear. White Plains is smaller than the upstate cities, but downtown has far more residents and activity. Trip (or anybody else reading), do you have a comparison between the Lake St residences and the ones on Barker and Martine Aves? The latter seem to be even more convenient location-wise, though I'm guessing there is more traffic noise also.
If you plan on walking to the train, Id pick Barker over Martine(looked at Barker complex's when I first moved here). Barker's even closer than Lake St to the station. Both are straight shots.

Martine's borderline walkable I think.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,711 times
Folks,

I am thinking of moving into the Windsor at the gramercy at 2 Canfield Ave - right next to lake street. Any comments about the general safety of the neighborhood?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
125 lake street still has roaches! I clean my apt all the time and still have found a few here and there. Also if you have a one bedroom apartment you can only purchase 1 parking space even if they have a bunch available. I personally don't know what I'm going to do for parking when my boyfriend brings his car up.. any suggestions. I'm definitely not going to spend another year here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County