Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:06 AM

6 posts, read 41,465 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to somewhere in Westchester, NY or Fairfield, CT in the next few months from Tokyo. I am not Japanese but wife is and our two daughters (3 yrs and 5 yrs) speak both English and Japanese.

I would like to live somewhere where there is a little bit of a Japanese presence. Any thoughts would be welcome. We will be renting at first and be prepared to pay $5-8k/month.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,447 times
Do you want a house or an apartment?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
There's a large Japanese presence in Westchester. Including Japanese groceries and Saturday Japanese classes for kids. Hartsdale used to have a very large Japanese grocery store (when I was in graduate school a million years ago).

The question is how long a commute will you tolerate ? Before you decide you also need to check parking at the train stations, as that's not a given for all a community's residents. There are often long waits for permits.

Another area with Japanese influences is in NJ.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Several towns in Westchester have a Japanese presence. There are Japanese run establishments in Hartsdale (community center, grocery, restaurant, and liquor store), White Plains (grocery, book store, and sushi bar), Tuckahoe (Japanese church), Scarsdale (small grocery and restaurant).

I usually always see Japanese women walking around when I am in the Westchester Mall. This is probably due to the expensive stores and their matching expensive tastes for luxury goods .

There is a Japanese High School outside of White Plains run by Keio University (its called Keio New York). The tuition is pretty pricey I believe, but it may be worth it. Keio Academy of New York > Home

In NJ, if you want to look there Ft. Lee has the largest Japanese presence (they make up 5% of the population, Koreans make up somethign like 20-25%, and Chinese another 5%). There is a pretty big sized Japanese grocery store/food court in the neighboring town in Edgewater called Mitsuwa. Its a really nice place. Even if you end up moving to Westchester a trip to Mitsuwa once in a while should definitely be in the works for all things Japanese. ƒ~ƒcƒƒ}[ƒPƒbƒgƒvƒŒƒCƒX@ƒjƒ…[ƒWƒƒ[ƒW[“X

Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 AM

178 posts, read 667,325 times
Harrison, Rye, Scarsdale and Hartsdale all have what you seek.

All the best

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM

21 posts, read 68,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscott View Post
I plan to move to somewhere in Westchester, NY or Fairfield, CT in the next few months from Tokyo. I am not Japanese but wife is and our two daughters (3 yrs and 5 yrs) speak both English and Japanese.

I would like to live somewhere where there is a little bit of a Japanese presence. Any thoughts would be welcome. We will be renting at first and be prepared to pay $5-8k/month.

Thx
would you consider rockland county?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM

131 posts, read 792,754 times
Default Scarsdale

There are quite a large number of Japanese families in Scarsdale, particularly in the Edgewood section. I used to live near Davis Park, and would see many Japanese parents with their kids being picked up and dropped off by the bus for their Japanese school. You might want to ask particularly about the Arthur Manor section of Edgewood; I believe many Japanese families rent homes there.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,218 times
Many Japanese families prefer Scarsdale, because of the reputation of the public school system. [mod] No advertising in the forum[/mod] The bus to the Metro North train station (to Manhattan) is half a block away. The elementary school is two blocks away in the other direction.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: No advertising in the forum.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
There's also a private school in Purchase.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM

69 posts, read 254,847 times
If you can afford it I would suggest Scarsdale NY or Greenwich CT. Scarsdale is home to many executives of Japanese companies who cycle through the NY City metro area. I drive by what I assume is an excellent Japanese school in Greenwich on Lake Ave.
Hartsdale, between White Plains and Scarsdale is also home to many Japanese families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County