Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 PM

19 posts, read 45,910 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I'm looking for information about which Westchester school districts have supportive services for gifted kids-- especially at the middle/high school level. Some examples of this might be gifted programs, acceleration, science and tech magnet options, schools with project-based learning opportunities. I'd love perspectives of people that have had firsthand experiences with these programs.

Also, if we move to westchester for the schools, we'd love to be in a vibrant community, ideally with a downtown, not just a bedroom, commuter town to NYC.

Any towns that fit the bill with schools and community? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 10:44 PM

389 posts, read 399,085 times
Try BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services.) I know they serve Westchester and Putnam county schools. They have very hands on programs with instructors who genuninley care about the kids they deal with. In fact, BOCES has become so reputable that they have created their own Middle and High School called Fox Meadow. This was created because students with special needs started to do after school programs but it wasn't enough time. BOCES intially was a center that would bus students from local schools a couple times a week to and from their original school. Some schools even have a BOCES program before BOCES created their own school. Like anything that has become succesful, they started small.

https://www.pnwboces.org/

https://www.pnwboces.org/Schools/Fox...w/Welcome.aspx

Old 12-10-2020, 07:11 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcg79 View Post
Hello-

I'm looking for information about which Westchester school districts have supportive services for gifted kids-- especially at the middle/high school level. Some examples of this might be gifted programs, acceleration, science and tech magnet options, schools with project-based learning opportunities. I'd love perspectives of people that have had firsthand experiences with these programs.

Also, if we move to westchester for the schools, we'd love to be in a vibrant community, ideally with a downtown, not just a bedroom, commuter town to NYC.

Any towns that fit the bill with schools and community? Thanks in advance!
Most Westchester schools do not. the program itself is far beyond the so called gifted programs on NYC schools. They also tend to reject notions like magnet. Its such nonsense.

Most schools do have in school pull out programs in elementary school for kids who excess at math and science where they explore tech, coding, and math. At the middle and high schools, its honors classes and moving ahead. Honors middle school kids take high school regents math, earth science and possibly language, so at high school they are taking sophomore classes and wind up with a few more college classes as a senior. Depending on the district, kids graduate with as much as 20 to 30 college credits, not AP tests, but transcripted credits from local colleges. Its not quite what you are discussing, but its the way Westchester works. If you insist on the traditional magnet type programs, I would look to CT or NJ. Good luck to you and best of luck.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:34 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School's gifted program with IBM. I don't know anything about it.

Stepinac High School in White Plains with a great honors program. My son had Latin for three years and Greek in his senior year. His college accepted his AP courses fulfilling his freshman college course requirements. However, not every college does this.

Stepinac has buses to Yorktown now, but the first couple of years, I was his chauffeur. It was a wonderful school/experience so I was happy to do it.

I agree with dr.strangelove. My daughter said she would have been better served by skipping her junior and senior of high school and enrolling to a local college. Many students clock out of high school at age 16. By 18 years old, they have already completed two years of college.

At 16, they can't drive to college so a stay-at-home parent is needed to chauffeur them to/from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County