U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We are new home owners and plan to replace 7 regular windows and 1 bay window in our 2000 sqft house. Do you guys have any recommendation as far as which mid-tier brands we could go for? We can't afford the likes of Andersen, Pella, Marvin. Our budget for labor/material is $5000. We are thinking Windows World but finding any pricing online is almost impossible....

We are in Nanuet NY but we will take recommendations from anyone you suggest in Westchester or Rockland county

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:22 PM

404 posts, read 254,823 times
If you're paying labor (high cost), do "not" cheap out on materials.
Can you do less windows but with high quality windows?
Maybe replace Bay Window this time, and in future years do the rest.

As the saying goes, "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Old 12-04-2020, 07:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 1,442,457 times
Nearly twenty years and outside of Boston, we used Pella which had its own workers. Great experience.

I agree with sojourn traveller. If you only have $5,000 do a third or a half the windows now. Cheap materials like plastics can melt in heat and gaps can form.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:10 PM

1,170 posts, read 745,819 times
We're in the same boat, just got a quote from a local place for vinyl windows it's around $1k per window (materials/labor) with a 15 week lead time right now. The composites were around 50% more and there wasn't much difference in price based on the size. I'm assuming Anderson and the like would cost more.

Pricing also seemed to depend on the window type, if you install the double-hung windows versus the picture ones, etc.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstime29 View Post
Hi guys,

We are new home owners and plan to replace 7 regular windows and 1 bay window in our 2000 sqft house. Do you guys have any recommendation as far as which mid-tier brands we could go for? We can't afford the likes of Andersen, Pella, Marvin. Our budget for labor/material is $5000. We are thinking Windows World but finding any pricing online is almost impossible....

We are in Nanuet NY but we will take recommendations from anyone you suggest in Westchester or Rockland county

Thanks
Anderson 400 series, cost effective and rated high. Cost is impossible for a non-pro to predict. Size, location, existing removal, all impact. Call 3 pros and get estimates. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:05 AM

131 posts, read 190,223 times
i don't think op will get 7 anderson 400 for 5k budget.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
i don't think op will get 7 anderson 400 for 5k budget.
Without the bay, cost is about 350 per when buying 7. So product is 2500 without the bay, leaving 2500 to install. That is certainly possible if you shop around. The bay may need to be a phase 2. Good luck to the OP.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 AM

131 posts, read 190,223 times
$350? wow, i should have used purchased where you did. certainly, nothing at windowrama on central park ave comes anywhere near to those prices. $350 sounds less than wholesale price.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 PM

345 posts, read 662,563 times
Quote:
$350? wow, i should have used purchased where you did. certainly, nothing at windowrama on central park ave comes anywhere near to those prices. $350 sounds less than wholesale price.

This is around the same as a quote I recently got for replacing 7 windows in my house. If you are interested in the company you can PM me and I will send it. However, I will say that I haven't yet had the installation done yet, but this company was recommended to me by two other people. They are really backed up now b/c of COVID. I ordered the windows around 8 weeks ago and supposedly they will be ready in another week or two. One thing I liked was that they do the job with only 1/3 payment. They only take the remainder after you are totally satisfied.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Retail for a Anderson 400 double hung is usually $400 at big box stores. a smaller retailer can get you a better deal for buying 7. I guessed at 350, it may be 375, but that is pretty much on point. If they are specially cut windows, its obviously different. But if its a standard size, no they are not very expensive. Its why window replacement is such a common cost saver. Cheap enough that the windows pay for themselves over 5 to 10 years, depending obviously on number and the tightness of the house otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: