Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 06:37 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made In Italy View Post
Ohhh i see what you mean now. Ehhh honestly, dont take this the wrong way but im not impressed by those speeds. Im gettin 230mbps with no packet loss with crappy Spectrum on an 3 year old PC lol Mind you the plan im on 'caps out' at 200. [note photo in attachments]. Trust me im not 'most people'. i will notice the difference btwn 300, 600, or 900 as i do tons of stuff on my pc and have 7 other ppl that work with me on the same router.

Can you please take a look at this link below [note specs] and tell me if i should make a move on this. I'm a sucker for HP's and they're having a presidents day sale. This is what really caught my eye

"Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)"

What i dont like is its either a AMD or Nvidia on graphics. Should i be worried about app compatibilty ?
Im not buying this for gaming nor do i care.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pa...d&pStoreID=epp

Again, with WiFi there are so many obstacles to top-speed. However, we NEED top speed anyway? I can't comment on that unit, that's a whole other conversation. I have a XBOX Series X for gaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 08:45 PM

55 posts, read 77,495 times
Quote:
Question: Does that stupid ONT box still do the annoying beep noise when the battery runs out after like 3 months? Which they dont supply and make you buy when it does.

I told my install tech to put the stupid thing on the EXTERIOR of my home rather than inside the garage or basement. He looked at me shocked and happy and said 'nobody ever asks me to do that, good you just made my job alot easier!'.

Any downsides to having the box outside ?
The new ONT I have is much smaller than the original. I may be wrong, but I don't think it has a battery. I think the battery pack is an optional extra now. But yes, that was an annoying beep! I am not sure how the box will hold up to the elements if placed outside. You might get a better response on the Verizon Fios section of the DSL Forums website.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM

45 posts, read 18,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro878 View Post
The new ONT I have is much smaller than the original. I may be wrong, but I don't think it has a battery. I think the battery pack is an optional extra now. But yes, that was an annoying beep! I am not sure how the box will hold up to the elements if placed outside. You might get a better response on the Verizon Fios section of the DSL Forums website.
I just found it but only by a google search method !

It's like a super hidden ungerground community sub-forum thats not even accessible from verizons actual site lol
I love it. Lots of knowledgeable people who are really cooler than i expected.

Im on there now same username 'Made-In-Italy'.
Thanks !
I'm gonna go ask if they got rid of the 'back-up' battery.
I still have that beep etched in my brain. lol #PTSD

Old 02-18-2021, 07:23 AM
exm

Quote:
I just found it but only by a google search method !

It's like a super hidden ungerground community sub-forum thats not even accessible from verizons actual site lol
I love it. Lots of knowledgeable people who are really cooler than i expected.

Im on there now same username 'Made-In-Italy'.
Thanks !
I'm gonna go ask if they got rid of the 'back-up' battery.
I still have that beep etched in my brain. lol #PTSD

Wasn't that box only required for telephone service?

Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM

45 posts, read 18,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Wasn't that box only required for telephone service?
I don't even have a home phone line. I just got Internet and Cable and it was fresh install so i dont really know.

The previous owner of the property had spectrum. Most people have this box inside the home. I think user Nitro is right because theres no need for a battery as they are hardwired to a power source feed from inside your home.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 AM

12 posts, read 11,536 times
An update on my internet experience. I ended up going with Verizon Fios, but it was a shaky start. Download speeds from day one were maxing out around 300mbps. I had signed up for gig connection. A few weeks in after connecting more devices to wifi, download speed would dip as low as 50mbps. So I contacted Verizon to complain and they said that getting 50mbps download speed with 8 connected devices is 'good service'. I had a good laugh over that comment. In the end, I switched out Verizon's G3100 router with my own router and download speeds are now up to 600mbps with over 20 devices connected.

And after speaking with other local residents the past couple of weeks, I'm happy I didn't go with Optimum. I've only heard negative stories about their service.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:05 PM

55 posts, read 77,495 times
Congratulations. Those speeds over Wi-Fi are typical. You'll only get close to 980 Mbps down when on ethernet.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:31 PM
exm

As I mentioned above, I get 300mps on wifi on my 300/300 connection so I'm doubting if Gigabit is worth the premium. Maybe 500/500 is the best option.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
As I mentioned above, I get 300mps on wifi on my 300/300 connection so I'm doubting if Gigabit is worth the premium. Maybe 500/500 is the best option.
Gigabit is almost never worth the premium except for <1% of households. I have 100mbps internet and I can stream on three TVs, browse the web on two or three ipads, and game on my computer all simultaneously and there is no lag on any device.

The people who actually need gigabit are people who are transferring large files frequently (and I mean LARGE, not just the occasional movie download). It's mostly marketing hype.

I don't have cable, I use YouTubeTV for TV. According to their website, for streaming full quality you need 13mbps per stream. So three tvs and you're only using 39mbps. Gaming uses very little data throughput, only need something that isn't laggy. Heck, even 4k Netflix only needs 25mbps. So four screens on at the same time and you're still only at 100mbps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County