U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 1,253 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Scarsdale next month, and I need to pick an internet service provider. Typically I would have just gone with Verizon Fios but I LOATHE Verizon due to a nightmare customer service and billing experience from a few years ago. So I'm hesitant to go with them again. I see that Optimum has a 1Gig option and it's cheaper than Fios.

Does anyone have opinions on service with Optimum's 1Gig connection? Are you happy with performance? Any issues with speed or consistency throughout the day? I use internet to stream TV, connect to work, and a multitude of other devices including YouTube streaming for the kids so consistency of performance will be important.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:46 PM

140 posts, read 105,147 times
My experience with Optimum has been awful, particularly since Altice took over. Same with my parents in northern Westchester and everyone else I know in this area. Rates are exorbitantly expensive; constant service outages, often for no reason; customer service is impossible to deal with; and I have heard multiple accounts of both up and down speeds being lower than advertised.

Having said that, up here in the sticks where I live, Optimum is the ONLY cable provider in most of their service area. My understanding is that their service is better in areas where they have legitimate competition. But given how horribly mismanaged the company is, I can't imagine it being that much better. Personally, I'd take my chances with Fios instead if I were you

Old 12-29-2020, 06:33 PM

350 posts, read 219,299 times
FIOS is superior.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:41 PM

430 posts, read 233,010 times
Go with FIOS. The service with Optimum during the last hurricane where power was out for over a week for some people was a nightmare. All of the people who switched from Optimum to FIOS as a result of that storm said that FIOS is better than Optimum in almost every way possible.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:42 PM

430 posts, read 233,010 times
Also, when you move to Scarsdale, change your Facebook location to Scarsdale and join the Scarsdale Buzz Facebook Group. Do a search for FIOS and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:28 PM

239 posts, read 262,715 times
I will note first that we have Verizon FIOS and we are generally quite pleased, particularly with the internet service (1G).

That said, Optimum's Fiber service is similar in performance and definitely a bit cheaper. As @Dabaomb notes above, the last big storm was particularly bad for them because they had an outage at one of their hubs which proved difficult to get running again. However, that could have happened to Verizon, and I don't have a lot of confidence that it would have been any better at getting operations back up.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:44 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,366,814 times
One thing that is quite nice about Fios is that you don't need a modem. The output from their box is an ethernet cable that you can plug any router into; no silly rentals or upcharges necessary. I just plug it straight into my Google Wifi.

I pay $39/mo for Fios internet and have not had a price increase in over two years. I don't use them for TV; I use YoutubeTV for TV and it's better than cable- unlimited DVR, no silly boxes needed on any tvs, etc. YoutubeTV is $65/mo, so I'm at $105/mo all in, and I'm happy with it all around.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:22 AM

239 posts, read 262,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
One thing that is quite nice about Fios is that you don't need a modem. The output from their box is an ethernet cable that you can plug any router into; no silly rentals or upcharges necessary. I just plug it straight into my Google Wifi.

I pay $39/mo for Fios internet and have not had a price increase in over two years. I don't use them for TV; I use YoutubeTV for TV and it's better than cable- unlimited DVR, no silly boxes needed on any tvs, etc. YoutubeTV is $65/mo, so I'm at $105/mo all in, and I'm happy with it all around.
This is true for some installations, but not all. It depends on the mix of services that you get from FIOS. Many installations will include the G3100 modem (which is nice but HUGE).

Old 01-04-2021, 11:54 AM

948 posts, read 961,350 times
I use the Fios Gigabit plan, it is fantastic. I got it on a 1 year deal for $59/month. When that ran for a year they wanted to raise it to $99/month but I told them I would quit and they dropped to $69.
I have never had any issues at all. Teens home for school and two home working parents with significant video streaming both in and out. With all four of us streaming and another watching TV while surfing, never even an issue. We also have no TV services, cut the cord years ago. 5 TVs all streaming at same time, never a problem. When the initial deal runs, cancel and they will work with you to keep you.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:17 PM

41 posts, read 34,129 times
I have been a Fios customer for 8 years and have never considered switching. Gigabit internet is about $80/month now and Fios offers simultaneous speeds for download and upload. This is the biggest differentiator. Fios doesn't use modems, just an ONT box (no rental charge associated with this) and a router. You can use your own router and not pay the $15 monthly rental fee.

My neighbors have had Optimum cable internet and have had nothing but problems. Optimum's fiber service may be better, but check the speeds to be sure it is truly comparable to Fios. Regular cable internet usually advertises very high download speeds (e.g., 200 Mbps, 500 Mbps, but the upload speed is only 5, 10, or 15 Mbps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County