U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 10:10 PM

228 posts, read 125,873 times

Advertisements

When the weather gets warmer people want to get in their cars and drive all the way to Jones Beach to put their feet in the sand and enjoy the ocean. However, if you don’t live on Long Island it’s at least an hour car ride if not more. You have to deal with the tolls and the fee for them, not to mention the bridge traffic.

I am aware of Rye beach, as well as Larchmont’s various facilities (some of which are private.) Now I have yet to see a big wave in Rye. Has anyone seen big waves at Rye?

Do you think Jones Beach is really worth the trip if you can do the same activities on the Long Island sound?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 08:00 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
When the weather gets warmer people want to get in their cars and drive all the way to Jones Beach to put their feet in the sand and enjoy the ocean. However, if you don’t live on Long Island it’s at least an hour car ride if not more. You have to deal with the tolls and the fee for them, not to mention the bridge traffic.

I am aware of Rye beach, as well as Larchmont’s various facilities (some of which are private.) Now I have yet to see a big wave in Rye. Has anyone seen big waves at Rye?

Do you think Jones Beach is really worth the trip if you can do the same activities on the Long Island sound?
Long Island and the Sound preclude most major waves from reaching the conclusion of the sound in westchester. Jones Beach is on the southern edge of the barrier islands on the southern side of LI. It gets direct Atlantic activity. Long island itself is a barrier island for the western shores of CT and westchester. So place like Jones Beach, fire Island, and the rest of the barrier islands get most of the gifts from the ocean in terms of sand and waves. There are great beaches along the inner shores of the sound, but they are indeed calmer. The further out you go you get more activity in the Sound. I much prefer a weekend at the cape than a drive to Jones beach. Jones is honestly a pretty poor beach, but if you only want a shorter drive, Jones, or the north shore on the NJ beaches are where you have to go. Best of luck in you beach days this year.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:13 AM

345 posts, read 662,563 times
Robert Moses State Park is much nicer than Jones, but even further.

Rye is OK, but start heading north through CT for better beaches. Greenwich has a few nice ones but they make non-residents jump through hoops to get access.

The further up you go, the nicer they get. One very nice beach I've been to is Hammonasset Beach - it's a bit more of a hike (1 hr 20 from White Plains) but I think it's worth it. There are a lot of other beaches between Westchester and there, but I haven't really explored them much. I think pretty much all of them are better than Rye, and some are better than Jones.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 PM

For some people seeing the water is enough. Other people want to jump into the big waves.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:10 AM

1,170 posts, read 745,819 times
We prefer to get up early in the AM and drive to Asbury Park, NJ.
Main benefit is they allow dogs before 8am so we bring our dog enjoy the water and then grab breakfast in town. It’s not close but the drive on Garden State is far less harrowing than getting to Jones Beach. Also you beat the crowds and traffic if you go early in the morning.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:29 AM

10,354 posts, read 16,591,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post

I believe all of Larchmont's beaches are private. In fact the only "public" beaches on the Sound in Westchester I know of are Rye Beach (Playland) and Glen Island in New Rochelle (though unlike Playland someone in your group still has to be a Westchester resident......they were closed last year as they used the parking lot as a mass COVID testing facility, but plan to reopen this summer).

Oakland Beach in Rye (also called "Rye Town Park") is next door to Playland. It's a little less crowded and really nice (if you're not looking for waves, etc.). There is one set of fees for residents of Rye, Mamaroneck, Larchmont and Port Chester and a higher set of fees for everyone else. It's expensive to go on weekends but not on weekdays, and on weekdays to limit crowds a "non-resident" can't come until 12pm. I've played beach volleyball there and my teen daughter has gone there with friends.

I know this will get blasted by some people here, but if you are looking for an easy to get to, inexpensive beach on the Sound, there's always Orchard Beach in the Bronx. I'll agree that on weekends it can be quite crowded and crazy at times, but I have gone on more than one weekday and it's usually relatively uncrowded and quite pleasant then, especially the first half of the day. No residency requirement at all, just a flat parking fee ($8/car on weekdays, $10 on weekends).

Finally, in CT you could look into Sherwood Island State Park. And if you have a friend or relative who lives in CT and can drive in with CT plates it's free to enter.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 AM

112 posts, read 115,453 times
Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck is open to all. Residents pay discounted fees. Last summer the morning hours were reserved for residents only for Covid crowd-management.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 PM

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:18 PM

811 posts, read 825,669 times
Here are two "secret" CT ones if you're willing to walk 15 min or so from where you park. Darien's Weed beach (park at the Hindley school), and Fairfield's Southport beach (park at Pequot Library). Both are super nice small beaches that don't get crowds, are easy and beautiful walks to, and are free to walk in even in the summer.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:02 PM

That is good information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County