U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,518 times

Advertisements

I don't believe that's true about the glass front. You can find photos and diagrams of Gulliver's as it was; there was no glass except at the front entryway. From what I have read, most lost their lives trying to get off the dance floor... there were too many folks and only one 4 foot stairway up to the dining room. Also, very few knew to go right to the nearby (and marked) rear exits, rather than left to the front door. 3 recurring themes in fatal fires: know where the exits are, leave at the first sign of trouble, and crawl under the smoke.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
The building was in Port Chester just on the East bank of the Byram river. Just feet from the border.
I was 16 at the time but knew people that were there and survived.

Last edited by L/78 steve; 12-07-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 8,230 times
Default gulliver's

gulliver's was in a very small shopping center on the ny/ct line
287/us1 is on the south end of pc - nowhere nears the ny/ct line

Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,180 times
I was only 14 months old when this happened, but my father was one of the fireman that fought that fire. I still have 4 beer mugs from Gulliver's at my house that my father picked up the next day. I think of that fire every time I pour a cold one.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 12,105 times
Default Gulliver;s Fire, June 30, 1974, Port Chester, Ny/Greenwich, Ct Border

I was usually there...that night I wasn't-First saw the flames leaping from my 2nd Fl. bathroom window high ontop Highland Rd., in Greenwich, Ct.; Gulliver's was just a short walk from my home-literally 3-5 minutes; Perrier Headquarters now occupies the sight. Gulliver's was never in/near the present day Kohl's Shopping Center, then know as E.J. Korvettes.
Terrible incident caused by an idiot of a man trying to "get back" at someone.
The 200 estimated "people" count of how many were actually there that night seems extremely low; That would have been an extremely slow night which it wasn't since it was Independance Day Weekend and everyone was either partying on L.I. Sound or in the best club: Gullivers.
There were volunteer firemen who were 15, 16, 17 years old at the time pulling bodies from the pyre.
I always reflect on Gulliver's this time of year...

Old 06-03-2010, 04:11 PM

That is incorrect- Happy Daze was in the location you're thinking of aka the UFO Club.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Default Happy Daze aka UFO Club were never @ Gullivers Site

Most people think that the only shopping center around @ that time was in Kohls aka EJ Korvettes- Gullivers was in a small shopping center on the site that Perrier Headquarters now occupies...this is s fact!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
I was there that nite, one of the blessed ones to get out alive, my best friend Robin Seeley died that nite. A lot of strange things happened over the next few hours. I'll never forget. The owners opened a resturant in white plains later called Ollivers,

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 30,286,381 times
Default what replaced

Gullivers, was the "Club Scene" as wild say 5 years after the tragedy?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,566 times
The exterior front doors the inside foyer area up to about the coat check room was in Greenwich, Ct., from that point to the inside front doors and beyond was Port Chester,NY. As far as King St. it is also boardered by Port Chester, Greenwich, Rye Brook, Harrison, Purchase and White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County