U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 AM

12,120 posts, read 30,272,961 times

Advertisements

On June 30th 1974 there was a fire at a nightclub/disco that killed about 25 people, which started in a bowling alley next door and spread to the disco. The club was called Gulliver's.

I was reading an article that described the club as being "in a small shopping center on the border of NY and Conn".

My question is is that the shopping center that is on Boston Rd (route 1) and I 287 that had the Caldor's, Kay Bee's, FYE, a pizzeria, etc or was Gulliver's in another location?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

100 posts, read 497,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
On June 30th 1974 there was a fire at a nightclub/disco that killed about 25 people, which started in a bowling alley next door and spread to the disco. The club was called Gulliver's.

I was reading an article that described the club as being "in a small shopping center on the border of NY and Conn".

My question is is that the shopping center that is on Boston Rd (route 1) and I 287 that had the Caldor's, Kay Bee's, FYE, a pizzeria, etc or was Gulliver's in another location?
I believe you are correct. Its not really right on the CT border. If I'm not mistaken that center now has a Staples, some sort of big Art Supply Store (AI Friedman?) and I'm not sure what else. That Caldors in Portchester was the first one ever opened; all the Caldors became either Kohls or Kmart in Westchester when the company went out of business. Since there is a Kohl's at 431 Boston Post Road, I'm assuming its the same place.

Here's a quote from an NY Times article from 1999:

Quote:
The authorities arrested a 22-year-old Greenwich laborer, Peter Leonard, and charged him with setting the fire to conceal his burglary of cigarette machines in the bowling alley behind Gulliver's.
24 lives for some petty change from a vending machine. I was 8 years old when that happened and I still remember it. Really tragic.

Last edited by AnNYYankee; 05-09-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 30,272,961 times
I was 12 then but never was in Pt Chester (in that shopping ctr) until a few years ago. When I read that article I wondered was that the place?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 36,791 times
It is right on the border of Greenwich & Port Chester. Right across from Cumberland Farms & Carvel. It is on the corner of Riverdale & Putnam. I believe part of it is now a Lotus dealership for sales & repair. The old building is still there. I'll never forget that night. The whole Village was upset for years. Why do you ask?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,887 times
Unhappy 1974 gulliver's fire in port chester, ny 06-30-1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFONLY View Post
It is right on the border of Greenwich & Port Chester. Right across from Cumberland Farms & Carvel. It is on the corner of Riverdale & Putnam. I believe part of it is now a Lotus dealership for sales & repair. The old building is still there. I'll never forget that night. The whole Village was upset for years. Why do you ask?
This is the correct location. I was supposed to be there that night. I
lost a close friend of 19. A beautiful French Girl with whom I was falling in love; Virginia Gannatt, a woman-child, a lovely human being, life cut
short too soon. chuck400

Last edited by chuck400; 07-05-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: i left out a word

Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 44,190 times
Actually gullivers was right outside of the pc town line in greenwich ct. The lotus dealer building has been there since wwii, and was always an auto repair shop/gas station. The bigger building next door was the old homelite power tools/engine plant. Than, right across the little byram river/stream stands an office complex today. This is the exact location to where the old gullivers night club stood. It was a very horrific & tragic event. To this day there has been reporting of paranormal activity in that office complex. Now i'm not no ghost hunter or anything but i have heard that since i was a kid. Maybe its just another old urban legend. I don't know. But i do know for a fact though, that at the old gullivers night club the complete front of the building was all glass windows, it was previously an old furniture store or something. Anyway, prior to opening gullivers nightclub the owners painted all the windows black, inside and out. But horrificly nobody knew. A family freind was a pc volunteer fireman at the time, and said if just somebody new that, and could have broke the glass, alot of tradgedy could have been avioded as many people even died from being trampled on from trying to get out one of the only known exit/entrances.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 28,005 times
Default Gullivers

This fire was at the border of Port Chester,NY and Glenville CT. In fact the bolwing lanes known as OPG Lanes had the approach area in NY and the pins located in CT, witytelas crossing the state line.. This was not the Caldor center.That's at the opposite end of town.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,841 times
Default I lived close

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

It was on RT:1 next to, the Police station & just before the Beer & soda place, it was NOT in the Caldors shopping center.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,397 times
I lost people in this club fire.....musicians, members of a band called "Society;s Children" slash "Salt and Pepper".Mod cut: NO signatures and no advertising, however subtle.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: TOS violations

Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM

9,945 posts, read 16,057,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticsilver View Post
This fire was at the border of Port Chester,NY and Glenville CT. In fact the bolwing lanes known as OPG Lanes had the approach area in NY and the pins located in CT, witytelas crossing the state line.. This was not the Caldor center.That's at the opposite end of town.
Is that physically possible? Doesn't the Byram River separate the two? I know a few miles north there a street called King Street where 1 side is in NY and the other in CT but I think there's a water boundary "down there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County