Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 10:19 PM

389 posts, read 401,174 times

Advertisements

https://www.kob.com/national-news/go...90202/?cat=600

It’s official, Indian Point is closing their doors and shutting down operations. After a long, lengthy, verbal discussion, the Governor said enough is enough.

Resistance towards IP started with local residents being concerned about the potential for toxic radiation to find its way in the Hudson River and elsewhere. This has been a controversial subject for nearly 20 years. I wanted to get the reaction of people on here and what sort of impact this will have on whom ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 06:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,160,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
https://www.kob.com/national-news/go...90202/?cat=600

It’s official, Indian Point is closing their doors and shutting down operations. After a long, lengthy, verbal discussion, the Governor said enough is enough.

Resistance towards IP started with local residents being concerned about the potential for toxic radiation to find its way in the Hudson River and elsewhere. This has been a controversial subject for nearly 20 years. I wanted to get the reaction of people on here and what sort of impact this will have on whom ever.
I do not care much about the politics of nuclear power. I care about the impact the closure will have on the Hendrick Hudson school district and the town. While short term relief has been promised, long term this will be very harmful and can only result in a tax increase or reduction in services. I wish the closure was phased over 20 years instead of 4. It was difficult to prepare for the shift in financing.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:10 PM

978 posts, read 677,033 times
Up up up the taxes goooooooo. Sad day for westchester.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:30 AM

13 posts, read 21,246 times
Following, as we're looking to buy within the next 6 months in Northern Westchester.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:24 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,404,756 times
I can't imagine what this is going to do to the cost of power. Con Edison already has some of the highest electricity rates in the nation (ignoring outliers like Hawaii and certain Alaskan remote villages), and now they are losing one of the most efficient sources of power in terms of inputs and outputs for a given cost.

I was just reading the other day that the natural gas pipeline moratorium means that our natural gas plants won't be able to ramp up output to cover the loss since they can't increase the flow of natural gas to power them, meaning we'll have to buy power on the market, which is insanely expensive.

I'm happy to see that we're adding a lot of alternative energy, but it's nothing compared to the scale of power created by a nuclear plant. Disappointing.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:29 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,160,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I can't imagine what this is going to do to the cost of power. Con Edison already has some of the highest electricity rates in the nation (ignoring outliers like Hawaii and certain Alaskan remote villages), and now they are losing one of the most efficient sources of power in terms of inputs and outputs for a given cost.

I was just reading the other day that the natural gas pipeline moratorium means that our natural gas plants won't be able to ramp up output to cover the loss since they can't increase the flow of natural gas to power them, meaning we'll have to buy power on the market, which is insanely expensive.

I'm happy to see that we're adding a lot of alternative energy, but it's nothing compared to the scale of power created by a nuclear plant. Disappointing.
The closure of Indian Point was part of a 125% increase in planned power production. Cricket Valley and CPV Valley were designed to completely replace Indian Point. In fact, the CPV application was conditioned on the closure of Indian Point. CPV went live in 2019 and Cricket Valley last year. The power output of these two matches Indian Point's two reactors. So it is a net 0 to the power grid. But you are right, power need increases and the Bayonne power center has increased its production by 120MW and is scheduled to increase another 120 over the next 5 years, which outpaces the expected need. CPV and Cricket Valley also allow at least 50% power production expansion and no pipelines are needed for these power production expansions. All of these are new natural gas burning centers, which are far more efficient than any other fossil fuel based reactors, so much so that they are actually more effective than nuclear power given the incredible costs of safety at nuclear plants. Indian Point shut down because Entergy could not make it work financially, nothing else. Its cheaper in a vacuum to produce nuclear power, but not in our regulatory reality. The natural gas pipeline moratorium has no impact on NY power production. As we are currently far in excess of need, its 100% political to invest in wind/solar or natural gas expansion. Given the shrinking size of NY, I do not think we will have any issues with adding wind/solar in the future to cover growth. Its purely political, both can absolutely cover need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: