Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:00 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
While I have no horse in this race (no children, thank God), what falsehoods are being taught? Did Caucasians NOT slaughter Native Americans, enslave blacks and use Asians as a servant class? Are African Americans, Asian Americans, Latin Americans and many others treated as equals in the eyes of society and the law? In other words....what is being taught that is untrue? Because unless there are falsehoods being taught (which would be wrong), all this sounds like white people being...well....snowflakes.

I went to school in the 1970s and 1980s and let me tell you, all of my history/social studies classes were SO sheltered I wasn't even aware of the existence of Japanese internment camps during WWII until I was in my 20's. So, if sparing feelings is more important than learning history, maybe THAT'S the root cause of part of the problem. The old axiom "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" fails if no one teaches the history to begin with.
Or as a portion of Hosea 4:6 in the Bible says, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"(the rest of it is relevant as well for those that will read or are interested in reading the rest of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 04:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
First of all Critical Race Theory is not taught in elementary schools or high schools. CRT is a graduate/post-graduate level body of academic inquiry and scholarship that frames historical data through a specific lens.

It is the conclusions from this specific framing of historical data that results in "facts" that are then teachable to the general public including all levels of education.

The controversy, in a nutshell, is that an analysis of American history via CRT states that European settlers in America benefitted at the expense of Blacks and Native Americans, because Blacks were largely enslaved, and Native Americans were removed from their lands, often with great violence.

That is the crux of the argument. No one denies that Blacks were enslaved, and no one denies that Native Americans were removed. I learned these things in elementary school and high school over 30-40 years ago (in Westchester public schools).

What opponents of CRT don't want taught, is that White settlers, and even latecomers, benefitted from these crimes, even though even a slow child can put two and two together, and many teachers have specifically taught that angle long before, decades before, any lay person outside of academia even heard of CRT.

The thing is, now educators and school dustricts want to include the relationship between slavery and genocide/extirpation of Native populations, and the advancement of the conditions of colonists and later settlers as a codified element of the standard history curriculum, even though it has already been taught since the 70s and before.

This is red meat to a certain segment of the population who is swayed by argument that White people are the real oppressed people in America, and that White people are being replaced, and that there is a looming race war, and that other inane conspiracies that are simply regurgitated early 20th century White supremacist propaganda points like the existence of a global shadow government run by Jews who drink children's blood in secret ceremonies.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:54 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
First of all Critical Race Theory is not taught in elementary schools or high schools. CRT is a graduate/post-graduate level body of academic inquiry and scholarship that frames historical data through a specific lens.

It is the conclusions from this specific framing of historical data that results in "facts" that are then teachable to the general public including all levels of education.

The controversy, in a nutshell, is that an analysis of American history via CRT states that European settlers in America benefitted at the expense of Blacks and Native Americans, because Blacks were largely enslaved, and Native Americans were removed from their lands, often with great violence.

That is the crux of the argument. No one denies that Blacks were enslaved, and no one denies that Native Americans were removed. I learned these things in elementary school and high school over 30-40 years ago (in Westchester public schools).

What opponents of CRT don't want taught, is that White settlers, and even latecomers, benefitted from these crimes, even though even a slow child can put two and two together, and many teachers have specifically taught that angle long before, decades before, any lay person outside of academia even heard of CRT.

The thing is, now educators and school dustricts want to include the relationship between slavery and genocide/extirpation of Native populations, and the advancement of the conditions of colonists and later settlers as a codified element of the standard history curriculum, even though it has already been taught since the 70s and before.

This is red meat to a certain segment of the population who is swayed by argument that White people are the real oppressed people in America, and that White people are being replaced, and that there is a looming race war, and that other inane conspiracies that are simply regurgitated early 20th century White supremacist propaganda points like the existence of a global shadow government run by Jews who drink children's blood in secret ceremonies.
While I 100% agree with all of this incredibly well written post, the first part is really all that is relevant for this thread or this forum, especially with respect to the recent reiteration of the query which school districts are teaching CRT. The answer, at least for Westchester County, is NONE! Colleges and graduate programs will continue to examine this topic in philosophy, sociology, and other classes/discussions/forums, but absolutely ZERO elementary, middle, and high schools (outside of those college level classes like the above at some high schools) are exploring CRT. All that is being taught is history. Some history of our world is wonderful, but some also involves the purest forms of hatred/evil. How it is taught differs from kindergarten to senior year of high school, but its only history. Its including more history, from a variety of points of view, but it is all only facts.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:49 AM

73 posts, read 159,991 times
I don’t know about Westchester but this video explains what’s happening in nearby Carmel.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxu3wdiXRF0

Old 10-16-2021, 07:06 AM

81 posts, read 85,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

You believe in a strawman. That is not what opponents of CRT are objecting to.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:24 AM

354 posts, read 776,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popham View Post
I don’t know about Westchester but this video explains what’s happening in nearby Carmel.

Wow, thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen this video before.

Yes the strawman is being pushed out there - we know that schools are not actually teaching critical race theory, as it is taught in colleges. They are concepts that are derivative from these theories that are being pushed through, sometimes in sneaky and indirect ways.

Another important distinction, to address what Dr. Strangelove wrote. I don't think anyone is objecting to these things being taught in history classes. They actually have already been taught for decades. One of the other things opponents are concerned about, is that these concepts and theories are creeping into every facet of educational life. Every class, even math, is being seen now through a racial lens. That is what people don't like. It has nothing to do with history classes unfortunately.

The term "critical race theory" is being used as a catch-all to describe a lot of different things that are going on right now. Maybe that's confusing, and it leaves it open for people to push this straw man argument through. People that are really paying attention understand.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:56 AM

73 posts, read 159,991 times
Yes. Exactly. I’ve heard instances of Math teachers going on about white fragility and creating tensions in the class.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,988 times
CRT is absolutely in our schools. They're gaslighting if they tell you it isn't. What they're doing is Critical Race Praxis (CRaP). The ultimate goal is a Communist revolution.

CRT is part of the "long march through the institutions". [url]https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/gov_fac_pubs/439/[/url]

If they're doing Social Emotional Learning or Culturally Responsive Teaching, that's CRaP.

If you want to better understand, you must learn how the "long march through the institutions” is ultimately Gramsci’s roadmap to getting communism to take hold in the West.
[url]https://newdiscourses.com/2021/01/antonio-gramsci-cultural-marxism-wokeness-leninism/[/url]

James Lindsay has a Groomer Series.
In Part 1, he discusses how Marxists use sexual education of children to destabilize society.
[url]https://youtu.be/tDEP0JGW3c8[/url]

In Part 2, he explains how ***** Theory seeks to remold early childhood education & childhood development theories so that we teach sex education to children earlier.
[url]https://youtu.be/-OQL1Jja3p4[/url]

In Part 3, he explains how ***** theory aspect & critical race theory aspect work as a 1-2 punch, to reproduce Mao's identity-based radicalization program.
[url]https://youtu.be/P8pHloB5qb4[/url]

CRT is also in the workplace as DEI. [url]https://youtu.be/IKLuhY2Q7Rw[/url]

Old 06-13-2022, 12:16 AM

Other videos worth watching:
Paulo Freire & the birth of groomer schools
[url]https://youtu.be/B6urKjU9mE4[/url]

Critical Education: Transformative Social-Emotional Learning (SEL)
[url]https://youtu.be/-71HIh_OZ_s[/url]

Old 06-13-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo99 View Post
It sounds like the indoctrination and brainwashing has begun...scary. Maybe the only hope is private school.
Private schools may be more woke.
[url]https://youtu.be/ZZq-r6_zUp4[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County