U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:46 AM

12,578 posts, read 10,655,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Damn Greenwich's taxes are almost as low as Massachusetts taxes. My slightly low income ($82.6k per household) town I lived in outside Boston had relatively 'high' taxes since lower class priced typically do, the $700k 3 bed 1 bath home I had was assessed at 625k this year and the taxes were $7,229.

Why is Westchester so expensive when the quality is slightly below both of these? Im appalled by how expensive Westchester is. Its like NJ ='s tax rates.

Is there some sort of break in taxes that im missing on? What is the draw to Westchester over CT or even LI?
Greenwich got lowest property tax in CT along with Darien, New Cannan, Westport those are ultra rich towns and 700,000 get you starter home you need budget of 1 million or more to get something nice. I think Westchester County have county government it is one of main source for funding while CT doesn’t have county government the towns on their own
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 AM

91,563 posts, read 88,833,474 times
I just asked My son why they picked ryebrook over Greenwich .

He said even though Greenwich starts directly across the street from where they are as the road is the dividing line ,The school district they are in , in rye Brook is vastly superior ..plus he said for the same price he got 3x the size house in rye Brook vs Greenwich.

So I guess it ain’t just about lower taxes in Greenwich

Old 06-07-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I just asked My son why they picked ryebrook over Greenwich .

He said even though Greenwich starts directly across the street from where they are as the road is the dividing line ,The school district they are in , in rye Brook is vastly superior ..plus he said for the same price he got 3x the size house in rye Brook vs Greenwich.

So I guess it ain’t just about lower taxes in Greenwich
Greenwich schools are very good one of best in CT. Real estate prices sightly higher in Greenwich but taxes are much lower in long run you saving.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:10 AM

They were not as impressed with the Greenwich system as opposed to blind Brook.

They much preferred blindbrook after comparing them. But the real deal breaker was home size for the dollar .they purposely left Scarsdale for a much bigger home

Old 06-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Greenwich is bit more diverse than Rye Brook 13% Hispanic, 4% African American , 8% Asian compare to Rye Brook 1% African American, 5% Hispanic, 4% Asian. There more kids in Greenwich school system where English not the first language so it might lower the numbers by few percentage.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Greenwich is bit more diverse than Rye Brook 13% Hispanic, 4% African American , 8% Asian compare to Rye Brook 1% African American, 5% Hispanic, 4% Asian. There more kids in Greenwich school system where English not the first language so it might lower the numbers by few percentage.
Could be , I know they did research Greenwich…it is funny how if you cross the street from their development you are in Greenwich ….

Either is convenient for them …my daughter in law runs the tax department for a very famous hedge fund in Greenwich..my son is a partner in a national law firm and he works out of both white plains and Manhattan

Old 06-07-2021, 02:18 PM

444 posts, read 360,244 times
Westchester is a highly segregated area with small districts and a lot of public employees making big money. Add on retirement liabilities and that’s why it’s as outrageous as it is.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 14,033 times
The thing people miss about westchester vs Greenwich taxes is in the end it equals out. Over the weekend I saw multiple houses in westchester 2200 - 2500 average price 1-1.2 mil average taxes 25K per year. We’re talking larchmont scarsdale area. Also saw a house in Greenwich two of them one was 1.4 other was 1.5. Both were 2200/2300 sq ft. Taxes were 9/10k. All in all the 4 house were very similar. Nice curb appeal some work needed but not something right away.

The point of this is that Greenwich is not cheaper then westchester the taxes are but you pay a higher sticker price. Sure Stamford is cheaper. Cos cob isn’t neither is Westport. Yes you save on taxes but you are paying more for the same house which in the end makes them even.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk118 View Post
The thing people miss about westchester vs Greenwich taxes is in the end it equals out. Over the weekend I saw multiple houses in westchester 2200 - 2500 average price 1-1.2 mil average taxes 25K per year. We’re talking larchmont scarsdale area. Also saw a house in Greenwich two of them one was 1.4 other was 1.5. Both were 2200/2300 sq ft. Taxes were 9/10k. All in all the 4 house were very similar. Nice curb appeal some work needed but not something right away.

The point of this is that Greenwich is not cheaper then westchester the taxes are but you pay a higher sticker price. Sure Stamford is cheaper. Cos cob isn’t neither is Westport. Yes you save on taxes but you are paying more for the same house which in the end makes them even.
The slightly higher real estate prices give you lower taxes in Greenwich while in Westchester you have pay crazy amount of taxes.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:50 PM

66 posts, read 95,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The slightly higher real estate prices give you lower taxes in Greenwich while in Westchester you have pay crazy amount of taxes.
Based on your posts in this thread you seem to be a cheerleader for CT -- which is great, nothing wrong with that -- but it is disingenuous to say there are "slightly higher real estate prices" in Greenwich. The cost of entry is materially, significantly higher than most (all?) comparable homes in comparable towns in Westchester. You are correct that Westchester taxes are crazy, but incorrect to downplay the difference in real estate prices. Whether they even out in the end and after how long is open to debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County