U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 AM

23 posts, read 10,545 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been living in NYC (Manhattan, now Brooklyn Williamsburg specifically) for the last 12+ years. Considering the jump to Westchester. Looking to be within an hour max of GC. I would be commuting a few times per month, my wife 2 times a week. We would like to go into the city for shows, etc a few times a month. We do not have kids at the moment so school systems and the high taxes that go with them are not important. If we decide to have kids I’ll simply move towns in 5+ years. With that said, the taxes are kinda what they are. People make a huge deal about it but my only other option is to buy a 2bed 2bath in Manhattan or BK where I’m shelling thousands in HOA fees so in a way it kinda works itself out and I’m not nickel and diming my situation to save a few K per year in taxes as like I said I need to pay fees some where. Any comments on that rationale are appreciated

Anyways, looking for a nice town that offers walkability and various things to do such as restaurants coffee shops and folks my age. Being NYC folks I’d like to meet similar people. Not interested in the whole I never use or go into the city I just live 45 mins away for some reason people. Outside of that I’m looking for a manageable house I don’t want a ton of land or anything like that just a nice house, down to work on it. Budget is going to be anywhere from 800K - 1.25mil depending on the work. I’d buy an 800K house and sink a few 100K into it. But not looking for those 1970’s 4,000 sq ft Chappaqua (yes a little too far as well) like houses with lime green tiles and orange carpets, you know what I mean. Bathrooms that look like the Scarface bathroom with Al Pacino is not of interest haha.

I’ve been to most of the towns so I have a decent grip on what each looks like and what the budget gets. What I don’t really know much about is the types of people that live there and why one person chooses X and the other chooses Y.

Interested to hear peoples opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:42 AM

243 posts, read 159,385 times
I was going to suggest Larchmont village, but your budget is too low.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:55 AM

598 posts, read 350,559 times
Tarrytown has a great downtown so that might be an option.

Peekskill has a great downtown too but very poorly ranked schools.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:12 PM

1.2 goes no where in Larchmont?

Old 06-01-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk118 View Post
You can definitely buy a nice home for $1.2mm in Larchmont.

It depends how big of a house/property you are looking for.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Here's an example of a house that just sold for $1.2mm in Larchmont.

https://www.compass.com/listing/28-p...6283127896777/

In regards to searching, it's very important to search by school district. Personally, I love Houlihan Lawrence's site. I would create an account there, then you can search for houses in a particular school district(s) as well as recent sales in a school district so you can see what the current market is.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:50 PM

Well it sure is expensive if that’s 1.2 mil

Old 06-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Well it sure is expensive if that’s 1.2 mil
Welcome to Westchester. This is one of the most expensive places in the entire country.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:53 AM

111 posts, read 111,334 times
You might like Mamaroneck. It has a downtown that's comparable to Larchmont but people seem to be paying about a 25% premium in Larchmont over comparable homes in Mamaroneck. The 2 towns share the same school district FYI.

Harrison might work for you as well. Downtown isn't as pretty but there are nice restaurants and local bars.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 3,433 times
I would re-consider the plan to move after 5 years.
From a purely financial perspective - there are transaction costs getting in & out - and 5 years may be too short to smooth out real estate market fluctuations. We are not exactly at a low point for Westchester real estate at the moment.
From a hassle perspective - moving is a royal pain especially when you get oodles of furniture for a big house.

Also - no clue where your politics swing - but may be something to consider:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County