U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 480 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m researching living in Westchester/Dutchess Cty. & Northern Virginia. Anyone have experience with both: pros and cons, particularly with regards to caring for horses and operating a small horse farm?
And the challenges of freezing temperatures, humidity, bugs, etc.
If you’ve experience in either, as it relates to horses and operations, I’d love to hear the benefits and challenges.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 07:53 PM

231 posts, read 127,498 times
I can’t really speak from experience. I can, however, tell you that the town of Bedford is horse country. The land is very ideal for equestrian events. Not only are there stables, but some wealthy people even have a barn in their backyard.

A lot of the roads up there are dirt.

https://bedfordny.gov/bedford-loves-horses/

Old 06-03-2021, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 480 times
Thanks for the link. I’m researching advantages and disadvantages of New York and Virginia hunt country. Bedford is a great place to start.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:01 AM

785 posts, read 858,426 times
Also, northern parts of Somerset County in NJ are horse country. In and around Far Hills, etc.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:51 AM

3,323 posts, read 1,448,534 times
Also Brandywine Valley, Delaware is horse country too.

My kids took riding lessons in Dover, MA and Putnam County, NY. They also lived in Madison, NJ and Washington, DC. The weather is similar in Dover, MA, Putnam, NY and Madison, NJ.

The biggest difference is going to be in price of land and taxes. Westchester, NY, Somerset, NJ and Fairfax County is some of the most expensive real estate in the US.

Further from NYC, Dutchess and Putnam County are less expensive. Further from Washington DC in Northern Virginia might be less expensive. Pennsylvania might be less expensive.

There is nothing like boots on the ground for inside information. Horse people are a friendly group. My advice is to drive to as many horse farms as possible. Ask the staff your questions. Make appointments to meet the owners.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-04-2021 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: