Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 19,567 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy in my late 30's with a career in banking looking to leave Long Island. I'll be driving to White Plains for work 2 or 3 days a week.

Since i'm looking to ultimately meet a woman and settle down, i'm looking for a place that has a nightlife scene, restaurants, bars, low crime. My budget for a home is only about $350K at the moment however i will be renting for at least a year before i purchase something. I'm more of an outdoorsy type and love the idea of so many hiking options in the area.

I visited a few places last month and i've searched these boards and have come to the following list of candidates. Can anyone recommend any other places that i should check out?

Beacon
Saugerties
Kingston
Cortlandt Manor
Warwick
Airmont
Nyack

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 02:14 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
^Those places are spread out all over the place within the Hudson Valley and some would be a good drive to White Plains. Out of those listed, Kingston would likely have the best balance in terms of what you are looking for.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:36 AM

14 posts, read 11,663 times
I know Kingston and Saugerties a bit. Lots of young people flocked to Kingston and there are plenty of older homes to buy in your price range. Still, the nightlife is kind of quiet and the people more hipster-ish and arty rather than banker types. Ditto Saugerties. Nyack skews older and sleepy. Warwick might be livlier. I think Beacon might be best. Closer to work and also NYC.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:42 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyandfun51 View Post
I know Kingston and Saugerties a bit. Lots of young people flocked to Kingston and there are plenty of older homes to buy in your price range. Still, the nightlife is kind of quiet and the people more hipster-ish and arty rather than banker types. Ditto Saugerties. Nyack skews older and sleepy. Warwick might be livlier. I think Beacon might be best. Closer to work and also NYC.
Warwick livlier then Nyack?? Is this sarcasm? Sleepy and Nyack are two words I have never seen in the same sentence. In fact, people that live in Nyack probably wish it were a bit more sleepy at times, and that the bar scene/nightlife were toned down a notch. God help the person who is legitimately trying to read these threads for information.

Nyack to White Plains is a very short drive. Even with some TZ bridge traffic, it would not be a bad commute because the distance is small, especially if you can commute a bit off peak. Biggest problem for you might be budget on the house, although there may be some apartments in your price range.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:31 PM

277 posts, read 773,346 times
4 of your choices are really far commutes to WP. You would hate it! Check out the river towns. Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Ossining.

Going in the other direction check out Stamford CT

Old 06-09-2021, 07:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
4 of your choices are really far commutes to WP. You would hate it! Check out the river towns. Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Ossining.

Going in the other direction check out Stamford CT
The Westchester side will be challenging given the budget unless an apartment or small condo is acceptable? Sounds like OP would like to buy a decent sized house.

I'd vote for Nyack. Crossing the bridge is a pain (and $$) but if you only have to do it infrequently it might not be a problem, and the Hudson Link bus connects to Tarrytown for access to Metro North. Convenient access to WP via 287, it's a straight shot.

I wouldn't describe Nyack as sleepy either, it's a nice town with a bustling main street and an 'artsy' vibe with a pretty eclectic mix of shops and dining. Maybe a little more laid back type of night life? The other towns are pretty far to be commuting into WP, but it's personal preference.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:22 PM

59 posts, read 147,297 times
The only place on your list that I would even remotely consider with your criteria is Nyack. It has a good vibe and active downtown scene and you probably wouldn't have trouble meeting someone there. Courtlandt Manor is boring and quiet and very far from anywhere with a "scene." definitely not a place to meet someone. Honestly I don't know much about the other towns you listed but they are very far from White Plains. Kingston might be ok (isn't that near Woodstock?) but it is very far. Absolutely not commutable to White Plains.

I would look at Stamford CT and Tarrytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County